Thread: I don't get dual relationships (duality)

Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DELL View Post
    Duality sounds like it would be most appealing to Gamma NT:
    Maximum benefit, minimum long term risk...
    It doesn't/ wouldn't surprise me that the idea of duality becomes less appealing, as you move away from these functions..
    As a Gamma NT, duality does appeal to me, and relationships generally become more and more difficult with people who share fewer and fewer of my valued functions. However, this isn't just property of Gamma NT's; it happens to everyone.

For example, my father, ex-wife, and son are all Delta SLI's, so I've been observing SLI's closely for my entire life, and one thing I've noticed is that, for all their "coolness under fire" and their generally excellent taste in clothes and in arranging a comfortable life for themselves, they live in abject fear. Fear that their incredibly planned out lives, which they so carefully guard and nurture, will eventually bore them to death. Enter the absolutely crazed, random IEE who suggests going out for ice cream or an Alaskan cruise or dressing the cat up in formal clothes. SLI's need IEE's Ne, and IEE's need someone to prevent them from spending the rent money on squirrel food "Because the poor little dears look so cold out there."

As for the ESI-LIE duality being "ideal", please read the article here: https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...ng-an-ISFj-ESI
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 09-17-2019 at 01:27 AM.

TIM
    maybe iee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    As a Gamma NT, duality does appeal to me, and relationships generally become more and more difficult with people who share fewer and fewer of my valued functions. However, this isn't just property of Gamma NT's; it happens to everyone.

For example, my father, ex-wife, and son are all Delta SLI's, so I've been observing SLI's closely for my entire life, and one thing I've noticed is that, for all their "coolness under fire" and their generally excellent taste in clothes and in arranging a comfortable life for themselves, they live in abject fear. Fear that their incredibly planned out lives, which they so carefully guard and nurture, will eventually bore them to death. Enter the absolutely crazed, random IEE who suggests going out for ice cream or an Alaskan cruise or dressing the cat up in formal clothes. SLI's need IEE's Ne, and IEE's need someone to prevent them from spending the rent money on squirrel food "Because the poor little dears look so cold out there."

As for the ESI-LIE duality being "ideal", please read the article here: https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...ng-an-ISFj-ESI
    I'm in no way disputing the *benefits/ease* of duality, strictly the *appeal* and as you know, types have different criteria when making decisions, hence It doesnt surprise me that duality wont appeal to those that are not thinking in terms of how they can most give/receive beneifit (broad sense).
    You have to know that not everyone is making decisions as rationally as you are...

Also the money thing sounds more TE polr than TI, No?

TIM
    maybe iee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add to my reply to Adam... When persuing my ex girlfriend, I was in no way whatsoever considering what I can do for her, or what she can do for me...
    Aside from physical attraction, my criteria was strictly about how our personalities and values meshed, and how much we enjoyed each others company...

Socionics is now very usefully for me to make some more estimations in the relationship area,than I could before, but I'm not going to change my decision making process when persuing /entering relations

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I don't get how SLI is supposed to follow an incredibly planned out life lol. I mean the SLI descriptions say the opposite. The thing you might be thinking of is that they supposedly like to try and create very detailed plans with useless detail. But they do not actually try to follow through those plans.

Is this what you meant?

Bc otherwise SLIs supposedly always try to avoid boredom anyway so it didn't make much sense for that part of your post

But then the whole system can't cover people who fit maybe 1 pattern of SLI (or whatever other type) and then don't fit the second pattern and so on. So it's just patterns that don't fit in 16 types let alone into the model created for these types.

So it's like, if your SLI was more comfortable with bureaucracy and paper pushing like the tax system and couldn't do mechanic things like you described your SLI ex wife before, and your LSI was instead some very independent and aloof farmer, who was fine with mechanic things, then both these go against the actual stereotypes of SLI and LSI and are like switched around. Meanwhile the SLI ex wife could totally fit the other patterns you picked up from SLI descriptions, and your farmer LSI ex gf could totally fit some LSI patterns.

So overall it's pretty meaningless beyond a point.

Make sense?

Disbelief Jung
    TIM
    Heavenly & Spiritual
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've never had an overly planned life and its also not part of my interest/dreams/effort etc. Neither any of the SLI's I've met. Overly planned life is not very p.
    On the contrary, my LSI brother plans even his daily meals for example.