Thread: Interesting facts about you

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X
    Last edited by huiheiwufhawriuhg; 03-28-2021 at 05:26 PM.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    Oh, and since Adam posted some pics, here's my family. The photo was taken in Terrytown in 1900. It's picture of my grand-grand-grand mother and grand-grand-grand father with some other guy. I really have no idea who is who, I don't know anything about them. Judging from the character of my grandfather's family, they all seem be very strong Se valuers. https://imgur.com/a/KTQIMC0
    Hi Fay, I know this is old but I started looking at this thread where i left off pages back. I was going to ask just where, when you first mentioned it was "near NY", but here you tell us Tarrytown [that is the spelling]. My husband grew up quite near there, and his best friend from childhood is a lawyer there now. When they were school age they both had working parents, but in those days kids could run free after school while their parents were at work; it was safe. And I take the bridge over the Hudson in Tarrytown often when traveling; I take it to avoid my GPS's directive to take me into New York City and over the terribly congested George Washington Bridge, instead. Anyway, it's a very beautiful area and it would have been quite a beautiful bucolic country town, nicely situated 25 miles from Manhattan, when your great-great-great-grandparents were there [I am calculating that is the right amount of greats to add to your grandparents if they arrived there in 1900]. It is an area made particularly famous by Washington Irving. My husband lived just off Sleepy Hollow Rd. Its still beautiful there. I wonder if you have old correspondence with a Tarrytown address? Because if so it would be interesting for you to Google and see it. I have addresses from my parents' old correspondence, and it has been interesting to see where they lived, by googling the addresses.

Your great-great-great-grandparents probably arrived in Tarrytown just about the very time my great-great-great-grandfather and his family emigrated to Toronto from London! His brother was a well known artist/sculptor. I have two beautiful drawings of his (he was not an artist by profession, but they are beautiful). This is his artist brother:
    .................................................. ......
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"