Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    engineering and concrete problems
    Sounds like Te to me

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    realistically, there is no room for procedural error or creative imagination when you're sending humans to alien worlds.
    There is when you're dreaming up propulsion systems or even just considering the possibility of sending people into outer space.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olduvai View Post
    There is when you're dreaming up propulsion systems or even just considering the possibility of sending people into outer space.
    yes of course, i agree. i was referring more to the people who actually go into space.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olduvai View Post
    Sounds like Te to me
    SLI and LSE reporting on deck, SAH!

It's kinda sad and condescending to bar some types from curiosity and creativity. There may be trends for which types are *most often* something, but not enough to make a generalisation of it. Secondly, by your logic you'd need someone with a deep understanding of the way literal objects work with each other; while you could be hyper-picky and argue Se is "too static", how on earth you will bar Delta STs I know not.

ETA: The duration of your mission in space is exactly when you need creative thinking with objects, what if something breaks?
    Reason is a whore.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's kinda sad and condescending to bar some types from curiosity and creativity. There may be trends for which types are *most often* something, but not enough to make a generalisation of it. Secondly, by your logic you'd need someone with a deep understanding of the way literal objects work with each other; while you could be hyper-picky and argue Se is "too static", how on earth you will bar Delta STs I know not.

ETA: The duration of your mission in space is exactly when you need creative thinking with objects, what if something breaks?
    sorry, didn't mean to seem condescending. whenever i make generalized comments about types, i worry about people taking it the wrong way. i'm just too lazy to qualify every post i make with a disclaimer: NOT ALL PEOPLE OF A TYPE ARE NECESSARILY LIKE THIS, etc. etc....

re: the bolded, i think Delta STs can be creative in that way for sure. like the main character in the film Interstellar, i think he is LSE.

from what i understand about astronauts & space travel: you must follow orders, you must follow procedure, you cannot deviate, you must get the job done, you must work hard and be disclipined, etc. - maybe things are different in the event of an emergency, but usually there's procedure for that too. you also have to be hardy and fit, and perhaps a bit of a "survivalist". i don't see this kind of structured, austere lifestyle in space as a typical "creative" person's preferred arena. but i see the LSE type as stereotypically fitting these qualities.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    sorry, didn't mean to seem condescending. whenever i make generalized comments about types, i worry about people taking it the wrong way. i'm just too lazy to qualify every post i make with a disclaimer: NOT ALL PEOPLE OF A TYPE ARE NECESSARILY LIKE THIS, etc. etc....

re: the bolded, i think Delta STs can be creative in that way for sure. like the main character in the film Interstellar, i think he is LSE.

from what i understand about astronauts & space travel: you must follow orders, you must follow procedure, you cannot deviate, you must get the job done, you must work hard and be disclipined, etc. - maybe things are different in the event of an emergency, but usually there's procedure for that too. you also have to be hardy and fit, and perhaps a bit of a "survivalist". i don't see this kind of structured, austere lifestyle in space as a typical "creative" person's preferred arena. but i see the LSE type as stereotypically fitting these qualities.
    The 'condescension' part wasn't directed at you. Your perception of working in space agrees with mine, which is admittedly informed by sci-fi. Have you read Gateway by Frederick Pohl? S'pretty cool.

... [/derail]?
    Reason is a whore.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The 'condescension' part wasn't directed at you. Your perception of working in space agrees with mine, which is admittedly informed by sci-fi. Have you read Gateway by Frederick Pohl? S'pretty cool.

... [/derail]?
    no i haven't... i haven't read much fiction lately, sadly. thanks for the recommendation (: