Thread: Why is Se so desired?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Example...Se ...when I was living in Pasadena I had a nice house. It was a half a million dollar home and a big pool. But, I hated the neighbors.

Te..."I fixed it and this looks good on me. I can fly these things and one day I will."

The Se is descriing the properties of the object...the house, big, worth, the size of the pool and the people from a relationship view Fi

The Fe is stating the action and HOW it is or will be received as the method has already been determined.
    Do you mean the Te? figured this is a typo, but just checking.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Do you mean the Te? figured this is a typo, but just checking.
    Yes it was a typo
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi from EII: I love you. We are good friends
    Ni ILI; my husband has a 10am appointment so he has to get moving now otherwise he'll be late.
    Oh, I think you must be quoting me in that second part, lol....now that's how I show my hon some love!
    And how do I know I love!
    It's when something terrible occurs to my love and I have this immense pain inside.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    Oh, I think you must be quoting me in that second part, lol....now that's how I show my hon some love!
    And how do I know I love!
    It's when something terrible occurs to my love and I have this immense pain inside.
    You think that you may be ILI?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, you won't catch me objecting that the forums are chock full of ILI/IEI's. It'd be wrong of me! Just think of all the beautiful single ladies. There's gotta be opening...

Hear hear!

/sniff

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think that you may be ILI?
    Well you and I know that we are not using the same system, right?

I think I VI'd a bit as ILI when young and the description could fit. Will add a link of a thread about my type from a few months ago, though near all of the photos have now been deleted.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...388-Old-photos

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    Well you and I know that we are not using the same system, right?

I think I VI'd a bit as ILI when young and the description could fit. Will add a link of a thread about my type from a few months ago, though near all of the photos have now been deleted.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...388-Old-photos
    Yup INTp
    -

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Se, in terms of one individual surviving/performing, is very powerful.

Se, in a group setting, is kind of redundant.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another way of looking at it: Se is the most obvious, or primitive perhaps, manifestation of Freud's 'Libido', though Jung did a real good job in amplifying the concept of Libido to a more factual basis which would include all the 8 Information Elements of Socionics. From women, they want men with Se basically because it shows strength, power, willpower. But oh they also want a smart man, so hey, it looks like there's a majority of women out there looking basically for a Superman, which of course cannot exist and so they become disappointed with men... lol .

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    TIM
    DEAD
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snap View Post
    People don't desire Se, they at times desire the stereotypes you attach to it
    Yeah, the power aspect. The activity aspect of things. The living in the moment. Those can be good at times, but you also need to think a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    Another way of looking at it: Se is the most obvious, or primitive perhaps, manifestation of Freud's 'Libido', though Jung did a real good job in amplifying the concept of Libido to a more factual basis which would include all the 8 Information Elements of Socionics. From women, they want men with Se basically because it shows strength, power, willpower. But oh they also want a smart man, so hey, it looks like there's a majority of women out there looking basically for a Superman, which of course cannot exist and so they become disappointed with men... lol .
    Yes, expectations suck. Se is force. Se is power, but as I said, you can be both smart and powerful at the same time. Men like this are hard to come across because they put too much emphasis on one or the other. You know?

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Se, in terms of one individual surviving/performing, is very powerful.

Se, in a group setting, is kind of redundant.
    Yes. You gotta hunt to survive. You gotta be psychical. I bet a lot of ancient men were SLEs.

Yes it is. You need more Fe, imo. Fe kills in groups. Fe-Se is the best in a group setting, imo.

Fi from EII: I love you. We are good friends
    Ni ILI; my husband has a 10am appointment so he has to get moving now otherwise he'll be late.
    Yes, I agree. Fi though? Did I not say Ti?
    I do not suffer fools gladly.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luchoislurking View Post
    Yeah, the power aspect. The activity aspect of things. The living in the moment. Those can be good at times, but you also need to think a bit.

Yes, expectations suck. Se is force. Se is power, but as I said, you can be both smart and powerful at the same time. Men like this are hard to come across because they put too much emphasis on one or the other. You know?

Yes. You gotta hunt to survive. You gotta be psychical. I bet a lot of ancient men were SLEs.

Yes it is. You need more Fe, imo. Fe kills in groups. Fe-Se is the best in a group setting, imo.

Yes, I agree. Fi though? Did I not say Ti?
    Oh :/ sorry. Somedays I'm much worse at catching details than on other. Ti...hum let me come up with one. h
    -

TIM
    DEAD
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Oh :/ sorry. Somedays I'm much worse at catching details than on other. Ti...hum let me come up with one. h
    Okay
    I do not suffer fools gladly.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si is related to pleasure seeking, comfort, hedomism (-excess weight), seeking cover, being homely
    Se-poIR is interpreted as being afraid of conflict and confrontation, being passive-aggressive, or plain passive and complaisant (-whiny,fearful)
    Se in type model is equated to being aggressive, up-front, able to defend yourself, thirst for power, being powerful, strong body physique (-dominant, assured)

Who would like to identify with an image of a fat-cat lying about on a porch all the time and scurrying for safety from anything that threatens it? Pleasure, hedonism, homeliness, cowardice, powerlessness is not what Si is supposed to be about () but unfortunately this is what it has been distorted in Socionics stereotypes (and I feel dismayed seeing these negative stereotypes repeated in the very current posts made here ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least in America--and possibly other places with similar ideals, etc.--the go-getter, the conqueror, the fat cat, the avaricious wolf, the one who fights his or her way to the top is sort of inflated. That is to say, they are depicted as what people should strive to be. You see it in commercials; e.g., there's a shaving commercial where a man goes the extra mile by shaving his head in a similar fashion as this higher up who is going to interview for some position in this corporation. Of course, this is also an example of a kiss-ass, but the point is that it makes the guy who is proactive in what he wants seem desirable because HE is the one who will get the high paying job and all that comes along with it, as opposed to the other guys who were more passive in their demeanor.

EDIT (for context): whether stereotype or truth, many people, as evinced in typology forums, believe Se to be will power, drive for dominance, and even at times overall success in attaining goals.
    Last edited by Taldoria; 07-29-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se makes people feel good quickly and directly. There's really no need to overthink it more than that. Every group can really benefit from a having a Se user in it, imo. And then there are some types that don't really bring any immediate benefit to a group, even though that individual might be really valued on a personal level.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    Si is related to pleasure seeking, comfort, hedomism (-excess weight), seeking cover, being homely
    Se-poIR is interpreted as being afraid of conflict and confrontation, being passive-aggressive, or plain passive and complaisant (-whiny,fearful)
    Se in type model is equated to being aggressive, up-front, able to defend yourself, thirst for power, being powerful, strong body physique (-dominant, assured)

Who would like to identify with an image of a fat-cat lying about on a porch all the time and scurrying for safety from anything that threatens it? Pleasure, hedonism, homeliness, cowardice, powerlessness is not what Si is supposed to be about () but unfortunately this is what it has been distorted in Socionics stereotypes (and I feel dismayed seeing these negative stereotypes repeated in the very current posts made here ).
    You're on point here, badly defined stereotypes cause a lot of confusion even for people trying find their own type.

As for the definitions of Se and Se-polr, I've gotten better insight through observing others closely and over a long period of time, than by reading descriptions.

For example, I've been working under an EII boss for about a year now, and I think I understand what Se-polr is about - he just can't make a decision, the prospect of making a decision, however minor, is unpleasant for him and he tries to avoid it, mostly by getting his business partner to give an opinion first.

So by inverting this, I think Se is more about MAKING decisions, being confident in making decisions, rather than "aggression." And apart from this there is just the physicality of Se-users. They are comfortable in their skin, in their actions - this makes people around them comfortable. But if I want to throw an idea around, see where it goes or what the other possibilities are, I would definitely go to my EII boss first.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not how society works. May I change your question: who would want to deal with a person who is constantly aggressive, upfront, has strong thrist for power? Since humans are social animals it's very important to think about a person's own behavior influences his/her desiderability as companion. And that's where, for example, an EII wins (on average) every day over a SLE.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maithili View Post
    They are comfortable in their skin, in their actions - this makes people around them comfortable.
    Really. I very rarely feel comfortable around Se dominants. They're always harping on your weaknesses (unless you are unnoticeable), trying to show how they're superior to everyone, being kinda loud. Now a Fi dominant type - that's someone that can make everyone being comfortable, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's not how society works. May I change your question: who would want to deal with a person who is constantly aggressive, upfront, has strong thrist for power? Since humans are social animals it's very important to think about a person's own behavior influences his/her desiderability as companion. And that's where, for example, an EII wins (on average) every day over a SLE.
    I agree with this on a general view. However, there are those few times where one is in a group and aggressive and confrontational yet others enjoy that and have little to no qualms about it

Maybe I just have some fucked up friends

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For example, I've been working under an EII boss for about a year now, and I think I understand what Se-polr is about - he just can't make a decision, the prospect of making a decision, however minor, is unpleasant for him and he tries to avoid it, mostly by getting his business partner to give an opinion first.

So by inverting this, I think Se is more about MAKING decisions, being confident in making decisions, rather than "aggression." And apart from this there is just the physicality of Se-users. They are comfortable in their skin, in their actions - this makes people around them comfortable. But if I want to throw an idea around, see where it goes or what the other possibilities are, I would definitely go to my EII boss first.
    Couldn't this be problematic Te?

Difficulty coming to a decision is described for ISFjs : "Prepare for the fact that grocery shopping with her will not be a light matter. This is because DREISERKA orients poorly when it is necessary to select between two or even more objects. Therefore, instead of standing together with her at the counter and listening to her for half-hour, as she goes back and forth and doubts herself, it is better that you make a decision and relieve her of this need." - http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...SFj-by-Beskova

ISFjs have strong Se, despite it they have the same trouble with decision making,.
    That said, making decisions could be dependent on an extraverted rational estimation. Both your EII boss and an ESI have weak Te--and both linger in doubt when having to decide what is the most rational choice to make.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't this be problematic Te?

Difficulty coming to a decision is described for ISFjs : "Prepare for the fact that grocery shopping with her will not be a light matter. This is because DREISERKA orients poorly when it is necessary to select between two or even more objects. Therefore, instead of standing together with her at the counter and listening to her for half-hour, as she goes back and forth and doubts herself, it is better that you make a decision and relieve her of this need." - http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...SFj-by-Beskova

ISFjs have strong Se, despite it they have the same trouble with decision making,.
    That said, making decisions could be dependent on an extraverted rational estimation. Both your EII boss and an ESI have weak Te--and both linger in doubt when having to decide what is the most rational choice to make.
    Interesting point, I agree. An ESI confused at grocery store reminds me of my LSI partner, actually. But I think this is a different kind of decision making compared what goes on at a professional, business space. Making decisions here is unpleasant for my EII boss bc he doesn't want to be responsible for any bad decisions ("When in doubt, do nothing" he likes to say). I still think it's a Se issue in terms of making decisions when others don't want to, and taking responsibility for it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really. I very rarely feel comfortable around Se dominants. They're always harping on your weaknesses (unless you are unnoticeable), trying to show how they're superior to everyone, being kinda loud. Now a Fi dominant type - that's someone that can make everyone being comfortable, in my opinion.
    The only Se dominants I know that are like that are a very unbalanced, drug addict SLE and an unbalanced, unemployed SEE. You can't use them as a general yardstick, there are plenty of healthy ones that mostly just "lighten the atmosphere"

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't put your socionics type on your resume, don't announce it to anyone. Nobody does this. Thus the question "who would want to work with my type" is not socially pertinent at the workplace or elsewhere outside of this forum. By large, type is an individual and private matter. Even if everyone announced their types, "who would collaborate with me" is a question that is most compelling in Gamma quadra, not so for Alpha, Beta, and Delta. That is the majority ~75% of society holding to different values and it's not comprehensive to judge "how society works" by your own small part of it.

And that's where, for example, an EII wins (on average) every day over a SLE.
    If I were an EII I would pick an SLE to work with rather than another EII. The SLE would support our work on sensing and logic seeing it from a different end, and if they want power that would not concern me. With another EII, having exact same weaknesses, our project would be lopsided, full of defects and loopholes, and not built well. If you are ENTj then it's clear why you would pick INFj over ESTp, but the "entire society" doesn't work with your criteria of picking the most compliant work partner.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only Se dominants I know that are like that are a very unbalanced, drug addict SLE and an unbalanced, unemployed SEE. You can't use them as a general yardstick, there are plenty of healthy ones that mostly just "lighten the atmosphere"
    Perhaps we just notice something different, I know pretty "balanced" ones (meaning: they have a stable job, family, friends) who still give off that vibe TO ME. They don't make me feel comfortable.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but the "entire society" doesn't work with your criteria of picking the most compliant work partner.
    The entire society is partially made of people like you and partially made of people like me, almost everyone can find his/her niche, that's what I'm saying.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taldoria View Post
    I agree with this on a general view. However, there are those few times where one is in a group and aggressive and confrontational yet others enjoy that and have little to no qualms about it

Maybe I just have some fucked up friends
    Sometimes, sure, it's good. Doesn't mean it creates a "comfortable atmosphere" - for me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The implied connotation of confidence in all endeavors has a lot to do with why others desire a partner to have strong Se.

The emphasis on leadership and taking action is why people desire to be stronger in it themselves.

Neither of those is really true, taking action is partially an aspect of Se but doesn't offer the why which is more important. It's also important to remember that the medium involved in communicating these messages is almost always the internet, it's not hard to understand why a community largely composed of people who spend a lot of time in front of a computer would desire a more action oriented lifestyle or companion.

It's not so much about Se as it typically is people wanting to be less lethargic or more adventurous and thinking that Se types have those qualities.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally do not see Se as desirable. I think a lot of people are attracted towards power and will and those both qualities often come with this function. Imho Se is just over reactive function, that can bring up the worst kinds of manipulation and desires to own and lead the environment. I find this both repulsive and fairly short-coming.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    I personally do not see Se as desirable. I think a lot of people are attracted towards power and will and those both qualities often come with this function. Imho Se is just over reactive function, that can bring up the worst kinds of manipulation and desires to own and lead the environment.
    How does having the function cause this? And... are you talking about Se as something projected in id....or Se in ego block, or 4d volitional sensing in general?

I understand that a lot of Se egos are douchebags, and can also be unfortunately loud and aggressive going about things. But, I just feel like this thread is regressing into Se groupthink groupfeel hate. It leads everyone else to forget the plenty of others with egos of other functions, who are also douchebags. Then again, this is me being sensitive with Fe hidden agenda.
    [Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

It's hard to find a love through every shade of grey.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bold words and bold stance to take for a Se hidden agenda type.

Sorry, I don't mean to say it like that (don't take it personally), but it's just to illustrate the point that it's not so simple. Obviously Se hidden agenda people aren't obsessed with "being wealthy" or power hungry either, in spite of how much the theory or a small handful of IRL anecdotes dictate. Other types can be equally as impulsive and idiotic in their decision making as Se egos, not to mention unempathetic. Have you never met an EII to do something impulsively and destructive to the environment around them based on emotion? There's of course an added element of destructiveness and chaos that Se lead can bring, but to oversimplify entire groups of people for all intents and purposes is inaccurate. Let's try not to fall into the type prejudice hellhole of MBTI again that so many of us have tried to crawl out of through Socionics.
    Last edited by niffer; 08-01-2015 at 01:18 AM.
    [Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

It's hard to find a love through every shade of grey.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just thought Se leads you to do crazy things, like taking on the Juggernaut:

Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps we just notice something different, I know pretty "balanced" ones (meaning: they have a stable job, family, friends) who still give off that vibe TO ME. They don't make me feel comfortable.

You don't like your activity relations?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't like your activity relations?
    I´ve never had any long lasting positive relationship with them, no.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    I personally do not see Se as desirable. I think a lot of people are attracted towards power and will and those both qualities often come with this function. Imho Se is just over reactive function, that can bring up the worst kinds of manipulation and desires to own and lead the environment. I find this both repulsive and fairly short-coming.
    People like this need a lot of the right kind of guidance. Takes really "with it" people to help out Se guys and girls who for whatever reason just keep giving her, even until later in life, go the right way.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Si/Ne seems to be more valued or perceived as 'normal' in general irl. Like when I think of someone who's normal it's some guy who's chill and looks forward to their next meal or smoking their next bowl or something. Or a skinny hipster who eats chia seeds and has a gluten-free diet. I usually feel out of place.
    Last edited by suedehead; 08-05-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    Si/Ne seems to be more valued or perceived as 'normal' in general irl. Like when I think of someone who's normal it's some guy who's chill and looks forward to their next meal or smoking their next bowl or something. Or a skinny hipster who eats chia seeds and has a gluten-free diet. I usually feel out of place.
    in what kind of world do you live?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    Where do you live? :S

on the

edge

TIM
    DEAD
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kalinoches View Post