Thread: How to encourage a depressed SEI?

Hybrid View

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Redirect their focus to something good and positive. Reminding them of other tough situations they already overcame
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. I have just skyped with him and we might have some progress. Here is the summary:

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Redirect their focus to something good and positive. Reminding them of other tough situations they already overcame
    tried and totally failed! He looked at me with doubt and told me that I do not sound convincing. That's what happens when ILE makes an attempt to be supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Ask him why he's not continuing treatment and if he can't do it for himself can he do it for the people who love him?

You know how some people who are down find strength in continuing for the people who rely on them.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie
    Throw rocks at him
    used the combination of above and it kinda worked. He said that it was a "cute attempt to manipulate" and suddenly agreed to make a doctor's appointment for June 1st. If he keeps his promise it would be the best progress I made in the past year.

thank you!

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    used the combination of above and it kinda worked. He said that it was a "cute attempt to manipulate" and suddenly agreed to make a doctor's appointment for June 1st. If he keeps his promise it would be the best progress I made in the past year.
    Check up on him before June 1st and ask him if he's going. Just in case he develops a temporary "amnesia" as the term starts getting closer...