Thread: How to encourage a depressed SEI?

Hybrid View

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ask him why he's not continuing treatment and if he can't do it for himself can he do it for the people who love him?

You know how some people who are down find strength in continuing for the people who rely on them.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Ask him why he's not continuing treatment
    He said he didn't like the doctors attitude towards him. Such a childish response!

He also says that he is (I quote) "paralyzed by fear and does not know what to do". All my further attempts to clear his motivation during such conversations are not productive and basically the discussion is stopped by him at this point. We have been cycling this talk over and over again for years with a very tiny progress.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he can't do it for himself can he do it for the people who love him.
    I'll give it a try, I used to say that he needs to do it for himself, maybe I should change strategy and remind him that people who love him are hurt. How to make it not sound like I'm blaming him for the situation (though I'm pretty mad sometimes, honestly)?

are there any SEIs here who can help figure out this behavior?

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    I'll give it a try, I used to say that he needs to do it for himself, maybe I should change strategy and remind him that people who love him are hurt. How to make it not sound like I'm blaming him for the situation (though I'm pretty mad sometimes, honestly)?

are there any SEIs here who can help figure out this behavior?
    I know. I was in a similar situation but different types. I explained when I was feeling bad I'd get out of bed and keep going because I didn't want to let down the people I cared about too. The penny seemed to drop.

There are some SEIs on the forum @Pink @Suz @lemontrees I called em you, can you help this lovely guy out with some advice?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know. I was in a similar situation but different types. I explained when I was feeling bad I'd get out of bed and keep going because I didn't want to let down the people I cared about too. The penny seemed to drop.

There are some SEIs on the forum @Pink @Suz @lemontrees I called em you, can you help this lovely guy out with some advice?
    Sorry @Scientist I am just seeing this summons

The jury is out as to whether i'm truly SEI or not, and perhaps none of this is even type related, but i will say that from a health standpoint, when i have the occasional problem, i can be in denial sometimes, whether because too inertia'd doing my daily routine, or scared something serious/scary might be found, or that treatment might make me feel worse than i feel now. My mom has been known to talk my ear off trying to convince me to see a doctor about a problem i feel is minor -- it makes me annoyed though, and more often than not i'll disregard the pressure, though sometimes it does work (but usually if it does work, i have to be worried enough or scared enough or i've had enough of whatever problem it is). In the latter cases, it might seem like i am still gonna be stubborn, but if it sinks in enough, i will actually concede, so take heart in that your insistence might pay off.

I do agree with the suggestions to be supportive and encouraging though... not coercive.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx