Thread: new blood here. vid and some questionnaire answers. type me?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'mma just slip into here my favorite books/authors:

i love dostoevsky. more luv for EIIs. i only finished notes from underground but i'm currently on brothers karamazov. the way he writes is like candy or something idk it's wonderful.

ragtime
    by e.l. doctorow is my favorite novel of all time. not sure how well known it is. the writing is so clean and almost plain and then he just hits you with this beautiful description or metaphor for life and it's just

nausea
    by jean-paul sartre really speaks to me. i read it a year ago when my depression was real bad (bringing that up continually is awkward sorry) and that sticks out to me because a lot of people don't know what the hell sartre is talking about. i experienced the exact sensation of sort of looking at objects and feeling incredibly abstracted and disturbed by how raw they truly are in form but we just pile prior experience on top of them. then when you're depressed prior experience crumbles into complete shit pellets so you're stuck feeling like even the objects around you have turned on you.

emily dickinson is my favorite poet. i definitely "get" her and have been told i write like her a few times so that makes me happy.
    langhston hughes is another excellent poet in my opinion. i like the raw form of writing, as if he's speaking but the simple language flows beautifully enough to be good poetry.

because i like dostoevsky i've read some chekhov short stories and he's i believe i like the way russians write in general.

yeah this post made me realize i actually haven't read many books at all

oh yeah, and i owe a lot of my uh life to elliott smith. i don't often try to write like him because to be honest sometimes i don't even like his lyrics hardcore fans love him for his lyrics. and i would say i'm hardcore considering i listened to nothing but elliott for a year.
    i do like the lyrics to everything on roman candle (excellent story-telling, paints vivid pictures), coming up roses (nonsense words that sound cool together), clementine (clever lyrics), waltz #1 and #2 (beautiful), idk i could go on. his melodies are what get me
    Last edited by fruitbats; 04-22-2015 at 02:27 AM. Reason: formatting