Hybrid View

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alklonth View Post

Many things changed with age I guess. I could sleep wherever and I could pack up just in a little rucksack and spend a whole week like that. Now I prefer hotels than gyms to sleep in. But if I'd have to, still no problem. I can see similarity with ESI here. ESI understands I want a hotel. ILI would probably treat it as a waste of money. Maybe this is 1d Se in ILI that is not so flexible and sees only one side of things?
    I've lived out of a bag for large portions of my life as well. But I've never slept in a gym. Your story reminded me of an LIE I know. He would often sleep on the couch of his house because it was close to the fire place. He had a heater but he didn't want to set it up because he didn't want to be comfortable in his bedroom in case the fire went out and the house froze. He had been doing this for years and could never understand why he wasn't getting enough sleep. Also, in the summer he did not have air conditioning when clearly his place needed it because of direct sun exposure. He didn't believe that a portable unit that could be rolled around and attached through a window, but is not permanent, would do anything. He had just been living this way forever, sweating like a whore in church every summer..... got him hooked up from one at a department store and set it up and he loves it.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I came to this thread late because I don't play video games, never have, and thought I couldn't contribute. But then I saw that it is not entirely about video games.

I could never see the point of them. I have smart friends who do, but I don't understand the appeal. I don't have a television either, though. When my roommates drop-kicked it down the basement stairs during a party I thought, Why replace it? They'll just do it again. Then, I discovered that I had a bunch of time to do other stuff, and actually started getting productive with my life. I got a better job, earned more money, and got rid of those roommates.

My wife thought it was great that I didn't have a television. My explanation to her for not having a TV was that it impaired a person's active social development and made them passive, because the TV just did stuff to you while you just sat there and accepted it. I think she liked it because it meant more of my attention was directed at her, but my reasoning kind of proved to be correct. My son grew up not missing it, and found other stuff to do. One day, he came home from a friend's house and said Elliot has a television, and is he allowed to watch it? I told him, Sure, watch all you want, we just don't want to do that at home. He said he did think it was kind of strange, that Elliot invited him over to play, but then just turned on the TV and sat there watching it.

I totally realize that the advanced social perceptions that people have today are due to having seen thousands of hours of sophisticated social interactions by the time a person is ten years old, and that is great. What is not so great for them is if they substitute TV for real life, in my opinion. My opinion of video games is that they are trainers for the military (and if they want me trained, they should pay for it, not me). I've designed systems for military trainers that, in some ways, mimic the best video games, because that is the targeting and weapons interface that guys coming into the military are good at using. But if you're not planning to join the military, I can't see the point.