ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Humor and quadra

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    Quadras and the humor they are more likely to appreciate or tell (based on my own observation):

Alpha: Slapstick comedies, clean fun, able to make fun of themselves sometimes

Beta: like to joke on the expense of other people who are outside their group (sometimes cruelly), suggestive, dark humor

Gamma: rowdy, vulgar, shocking, sexual innuendos

Delta: dry and subtle, one-liners, business-like, serious, ridiculous, sarcastic

(Sorry to offend anyone. )
    I just think it's wrong, period. I've heard this sort of thing said. Doesn't seem to have much to do with Quadras. You can't explain everything with quadras. I know that this comes from some writings in Socionics. Well, some stuff in Socionics is just wrong.

I don't know any Gammas who like rowdy, vulgar, shocking humor. None. There's no connection whatsoever. I know some ESTps who like the rowdy kind of humor.

Anyhow, the idea that Alphas like "good clean fun humor" and that every, every other quadra likes jokes at other people's expense or some other demented variant is just plain ridiculous, sorry.

This thread is part of a larger issue in Socionics that's quite wrong and counterproductive. Socionics was founded by Alphas, and so there's a strain of Socionics that says Alphas are good everyone else doesn't measure up.

Implying that only Alphas like wholesome forms of humor (and that they, as distinguished from everyone else, sometimes make fun of themselves...ah how modest, how angelically modest Alphas are) is just a coded way of saying "Alpha good, everyone else bad." And it doesn't fit with observations at all.

[Edit: Oh, I didn't notice you added that Deltas can be self-deprecating sometimes too, even as they're being sarcastic. How magnanimous of you. ]
    [PS, okay, I know I'm being a bit harsh. I realize that your signature says you're not even Alpha. I still think it's wrong and is based on the Alpha superiority thing in Socionics. Here are my observations:

I know ESIs who love slapstick humor, puns, and good clean fun.
    I know SEEs whose form of humor is mock insults and saying the opposite of what they mean, and is never rowdy or R-rated.
    I know Alphas would joke at other peoples' expense, just the way you say that Betas do.
    I know IEI types who would never joke at other people's expense.

And these are not exception to a rule...This is just reality.]
    *claps hands*
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sarcasm sucks

alpha: light-hearted, make jokes using scientific knowledge

beta: Louder humour, like sex as a topic of joking

gamma: Work humour. Bill Gates ia great example. I was watching him on The daily show on television and Jon asked him, "What is the F12 button for?" And bill said, "You don't want to know about that, you should start from f1" He has the information but he prefers ambiguity.

Delta: dry. Everything but sarcastic.

By the way-- sarcasm sucks.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath

This from a person with a sharp tongue??

Funny you should say that. I'm amused.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sarcasm sucks

alpha: light-hearted, make jokes using scientific knowledge

beta: Louder humour, like sex as a topic of joking

gamma: Work humour. Bill Gates ia great example. I was watching him on The daily show on television and Jon asked him, "What is the F12 button for?" And bill said, "You don't want to know about that, you should start from f1" He has the information but he prefers ambiguity.

wait, so delta people don't use sarcasm?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Said by the most sarcastic member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ which is really ironic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stefana

This from a person with a sharp tongue??

Funny you should say that. I'm amused.
    I can craft an epigram- that is certain. But sarcasm is usually applied in situations where a person has asked a question and the answer is obvious, so the offended party feels it their duty to denounce the other's intelligence. It's very irritating. Sometimes I ask obvious questions to find some small piece of exact information and others use sarcasm. Sarcasm-- it's just too damn playful. It implies familiarity. I'll take respect--thank you.
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarcasm is my favorite type of humor.

I think the way you're talking about it is more of a sarcastic attitude than just sarcastic humor.

My boss told me once that I was a sarcastic prick and needed to chill out with it or it may get me into some trouble later on down the road. I was being sarcastic in a mean way because I had a bad attitude towards some people that had wronged me at work.

to me that's totally different than being sarcastic in a humorous way with people just sitting around having fun chit-chatting or spreading sarcasm around on message boards.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    Sarcasm is my favorite type of humor.

I think the way you're talking about it is more of a sarcastic attitude than just sarcastic humor.

My boss told me once that I was a sarcastic prick and needed to chill out with it or it may get me into some trouble later on down the road. I was being sarcastic in a mean way because I had a bad attitude towards some people that had wronged me at work.

to me that's totally different than being sarcastic in a humorous way with people just sitting around having fun chit-chatting or spreading sarcasm around on message boards.
    makes sense. i guess there are rules with delta and sarcasm? i remember reading that INTjs are only sarcastic if you've made them mad. i suppose it could work the same way in delta.

personally i'm very careful with sarcasm. it's generally only something i'd use when pissed, though i'm likely to use it among some of my friends who i think appreciate it.

THUS when it's aimed at me, it's not someone i'm familiar with, and i'm not expecting it, i start wondering why the hell it is being aimed at me.

Quote Originally Posted by heathiep
    Sarcasm-- it's just too damn playful. It implies familiarity.
    it does, which is why it seems odd to use it on/around people you don't actually know or aren't familiar with.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I am wrong. Sarcasm is abused! Like most things, it's good in moderation.
    asd

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I am wrong. Sarcasm is abused! Like most things, it's good in moderation.
    If moderation is good in moderation, then it follows that excess is needed!

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freakazoid
    I love that one. Insane amounts of weird stuff. Like the game MDK and Earthworm Jim.

If you think that alphas do not like to laugh at expense of others, it is quite obvious that you don't have INTj and ENTp in your family.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Jonathan: I'm just stating an opinion, rather than a fact. At least that's what I observed from the people around me IRL. The list might not apply to everyone else here. :wink:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG

If moderation is good in moderation, then it follows that excess is needed!
    i think i've had about my daily intake of you.
    asd

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, good one

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Quadra Humor

Alpha is generally considered the craziest quadra. The way I see it, they have both the humor shapes. is acting crazy, and is talking crazy. Alpha shares humor with Delta and humor with Beta.

Gamma values neither of these, but they do have a sense of humor. What do they share with Deltas and Betas? Does it correlate with one of the shapes?

I thought maybe Gamma and Beta could share sarcastic, biting humor. What would Gamma share with Delta? Perhaps a family or familiar-related humor. What are your thoughts?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a small part of why I was thinking that I fit well with Ne still, but not Fe. Some aspects of my humor doesn't really make sense. A lot of it is just having inner reflections I relate to some image, or an event taken personally, or something, and I might laugh to myself about it, but no one gets it and I have to let them know that it was nothing, and it probably wasn't funny when you look at it logically.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your INFj now?

wow you went to 3 different quadra

learn to type would you
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    learn to type would you
    I am learning, but thanks for the advice.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    A lot of it is just having inner reflections I relate to some image, or an event taken personally, or something, and I might laugh to myself about it, but no one gets it and I have to let them know that it was nothing, and it probably wasn't funny when you look at it logically.
    Maybe that's the type of humor Gamma and Delta share.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta humor can be quite absurdistic too. When people mention Monty Python, the usually allude to the alpha quadra. In my opinion, though, it's got a good share of delta Irrational influence as well. Here is an ENFp comedian from my country (Andre van Duin):

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Earl, a show with a very absurdistic Delta irrational theme aswell (two ENFp main characters (Earl, Randy) and a recurring ISTp (Darnell):

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=labcoat;628973]My name is Earl, a show with a very absurdistic Delta irrational theme aswell (two ENFp main characters (Earl, Randy) and a recurring ISTp (Darnell):

QUOTE]

I would be honored to be Darnell's type. But what's up with Joy? She's hot (IEE), but not.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh? She's like the most obvious ISFj ever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Huh? She's like the most obvious ISFj ever.
    I can see that.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She and Darnell aren't exactly the most unproblematic couple. I think the benefit relation accounts for the disfunctionality of the whole thing quite well.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I hereby refuse any member permission to sidetrack this thread before the fourth page.

You mentioned cynicism, pinochio. Isn't that more gamma humor?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I fine LIEs and ILEs to be the funniest types. Both are good at irony, but the LIE I'm familiar with specializes in sarcasm and the ILEs are more likely to use facial expressions. A couple of ILIs I know are also into sarcasm, and I believe it is the humor of an ESI I know. My SEI brother will laugh at pretty much anything. He loves randomness, but he laughs when I step on his face, so I guess I can't go on his sense of humor for alphas. LIIs like to logically disprove reality; this may be related to . ESEs act silly and overly friendly.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamma and humour? Please. Everyone knows we don't do it, ok. Why even bother.

Someone farts in public.

Alpha: "Look everyone, HE FARTED!! LOOK! Haha, come and see. Farts are great, aren't they? They are good for you and nothing to be ashamed of. Even the Queen farts. Did you know that cow fart is the biggest contributor to global warming? Haha. Btw I farted twice this morning, in case anyone would like to know that."

Beta: "Haha, he farted. Farts are funny. I can definitely fart louder than him tho."

Gamma: "Omg, he farted in public, how totally inappropriate, unexpected and crudely ironic within this context of established social rules, haha."

Delta: "Heh."

EII - Ne
    5w6 sp/so/sx

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shagbag The Wizard View Post
    Delta:
    Yes, with a slight alteration.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What on earth is it with people thinking alphans have an obsession with farts? It's a spurious and terribly degenerative development.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shagbag The Wizard View Post
    Someone farts in public.

Alpha: "Look everyone, HE FARTED!! LOOK! Haha, come and see. Farts are great, aren't they? They are good for you and nothing to be ashamed of. Even the Queen farts. Did you know that cow fart is the biggest contributor to global warming? Haha. Btw I farted twice this morning, in case anyone would like to know that."

Beta: "Haha, he farted. Farts are funny. I can definitely fart louder than him tho."

Gamma: "Omg, he farted in public, how totally inappropriate, unexpected and crudely ironic within this context of established social rules, haha."

Delta: "Heh."
    I'm embarrassed to be alpha.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm signing up for gamma if things work anything like that. The gamma response is the only one close to the one I'd manifest in reality.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So which quadra wouldn't find farts humorous?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    So which quadra wouldn't find farts humorous?
    Theta. It always gets left out...

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Delta humour I find to be by far the most cynical. That would be the word to describe it, on average.
    People call me a cynic: correction: I am a bit of a cynic.
    Hakuna Matata

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahcoles View Post
    People call me a cynic: correction: I am a bit of a cynic.
    There's a difference between being a cynic and having a cynical sense of humor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast