Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Favorite poems and quotations.

Hybrid View

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In spite of all the refinements of civilization that conspired to make art--the dizzying perfection of the string quartet or the sprawling grandeur of Fragonard's canvases--beauty was savage. It was as dangerous and lawless as the earth had been eons before man had one single coherent thought in his head or wrote codes of conduct on tablets of clay. Beauty was a Savage Garden.

Anne Rice, The Vampire Lestat

“I hate that nothing can be done about the suffering of children, and that most of the world blocks out their suffering to cope with their own inability to help. The few who carry the burden, like social workers and teachers, become weary, burning out after only a few short years, forced to carry the weight that should be shared by a society. Children are vastly overlooked. Their importance underestimated by their size.” ― Tarryn Fisher, Marrow

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Future ages will produce further great advances in this realm of culture, probably inconceivable now, and will increase man’s likeness to a god still more. But with the aim of our study in mind, we will not forget, all the same, that the human being of today is not happy with all his likeness to a god.

Sigmund Freud, Civilization and Its Discontents

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

“Fighting evil by moonlight,
    winning love by daylight,
    never running from a real fight,
    she is the one named Sailor Moon!”

- Naoko Takeuchi

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cynicism that regards hero worship as comical is always shadowed by a sense of physical inferiority.

Yukio Mishima, Sun and Steel

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“Anyone can saw a woman in half. The hard part is sitting with both halves at breakfast, asking one to pass the salt and the other to lick your wounds.”
    — Andrea Cohen

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“What is armor after all but a cage that moves with you?”
    — Rebecca Solnit

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking RaptorWesNet's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes we may even find that fantasy can transcend truth and make things more meaningful!!
    ORRE COLOSSEUM JUST GOT STARTED, AND KOBE IS REIGNING AS KING!!
    It's Henry vs Zidane, France vs Spain in the 2024 Olympic soccer final, Egypt vs Japan, Yugioh vs Pokemon, Poimandres vs Zarathustra, Giordano Bruno vs Friedrich Nietzsche, haystack picnic robed in silver rods to treasures of lore and sacred spark to unite and forge dancing stars and futures refracting crystal moonlight lures of hanger bay crunching fabrics webbing steel and blizzards juice stringing code red trains of yonder fluid ribbons trophy waterfall cake blueprints frenzy retracting haunted capital terra horns of leading edge canopy blossoms rendezvous shuffling Articuno!!
    RaptorWizard Sci-Fi Empire Lugia Bunny ~ Ultimate Aeon Willpower: Wes Net (the16types.info)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Sometimes we may even find that fantasy can transcend truth and make things more meaningful!!
    Are you from typology central?

Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    Are you from typology central?
    I had some of the best moments of My life there before My Bunny project got Me kicked off of the forum.

But I Love Bunny. She entangles brilliant legacies and precursors to a paradise far beyond Imaginings!!
    It's Henry vs Zidane, France vs Spain in the 2024 Olympic soccer final, Egypt vs Japan, Yugioh vs Pokemon, Poimandres vs Zarathustra, Giordano Bruno vs Friedrich Nietzsche, haystack picnic robed in silver rods to treasures of lore and sacred spark to unite and forge dancing stars and futures refracting crystal moonlight lures of hanger bay crunching fabrics webbing steel and blizzards juice stringing code red trains of yonder fluid ribbons trophy waterfall cake blueprints frenzy retracting haunted capital terra horns of leading edge canopy blossoms rendezvous shuffling Articuno!!
    RaptorWizard Sci-Fi Empire Lugia Bunny ~ Ultimate Aeon Willpower: Wes Net (the16types.info)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I had some of the best moments of My life there before My Bunny project got Me kicked off of the forum.

But I Love Bunny. She entangles brilliant legacies and precursors to a paradise far beyond Imaginings!!
    You're the schizo I remember. I was there for a few years. Went by "Within" back then.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“I never seemed to like the spring for what it was; I always loved it for what it might have been. In the head. In the heart of hearts. It is in my ability, I think, to love something fully only if I am naturally, compulsively, irrationally drawn to it.”

― Anne Sexton, Anne Sexton: A Self-Portrait in Letters

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I painted her a gushing thing,
    With years about a score;
    I little thought to find they were
    A least a dozen more;
    My fancy gave her eyes of blue,
    A curly auburn head:
    I came to find the blue a green,
    The auburn turned to red.

She boxed my ears this morning,
    They tingled very much;
    I own that I could wish her
    A somewhat lighter touch;
    And if you ask me how
    Her charms might be improved,
    I would not have them added to,
    But just a few removed!

She has the bear's ethereal grace,
    The bland hyaena's laugh,
    The footstep of the elephant,
    The neck of a giraffe;
    I love her still, believe me,
    Though my hear its passion hides;
    "She's all my fancy painted her,"
    But oh! how much besides!

Lewis Carrol, My Fancy

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And when the hourglass has run out, the hourglass of temporality, when the noise of secular life has grown silent and its restless or ineffectual activism has come to an end, when everything around you is still, as it is in eternity, then eternity asks you and every individual in these millions and millions about only one thing: whether you have lived in despair or not.

— Søren Kierkegaard, The Sickness Unto Death

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“Nothing tender about it—I show the darker powers I’ve hardly shown to anyone: Feel the weight of them, I say, before putting them back, just behind my heart, where they blacken and thrive.”
    — Carl Phillips, The Darker Powers

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Sometimes... expensive things... are worse." -Freckle
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The knowledge of all things is possible. - Leonardo da Vinci

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“THE MAGIC OF EXISTENCE IS THAT I CAN BE INSPIRED & DEPRESSED AT THE SAME TIME. THAT I CAN HAVE FAITH & ALSO QUIETLY MAKE PLANS. THAT I CAN FALL & BE FALLEN UPON IN THE SAME BREATH. THAT I CAN BE IN LOVE & FEEL COLDER THAN I HAVE EVER FELT. THAT I CAN SEE A DEER & THINK OF YOU SIMULTANEOUSLY.”
    — Eleanor Eli Moss

TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take risks for huge rewards since failure in a future timeframe is inevitable without trying

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Who is the real subject of most love poems? Not the beloved. It is the hole. When I desire you, a part of me is gone: my want of you partakes of me. So reasons the lover at the edge of eros. The presence of want awakens in him nostalgia for wholeness. His thoughts turn toward questions of personal identity: he must recover and reincorporate what is gone if he is to be a complete person. […] Most people find something disturbingly lucid and true in Aristophanes’ image of lovers as people cut in half. All desire is for a part of oneself gone missing, or so it feels to the person in love.

Anne Carson, Eros the Bittersweet: An Essay.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Unless you make yourself equal to God, you cannot understand God: for the like is not intelligible save to the like. Make yourself grow to a greatness beyond measure, by a bound free yourself from the body; raise yourself above all time, become Eternity; then you will understand God. Believe that nothing is impossible for you, think yourself immortal and capable of understanding all, all arts, all sciences, the nature of every living being. Mount higher than the highest height; descend lower than the lowest depth. Draw into yourself all sensations of everything created, fire and water, dry and moist, imagining that you are everywhere, on earth, in the sea, in the sky, that you are not yet born, in the maternal womb, adolescent, old, dead, beyond death. If you embrace in your thought all things at once, times, places, substances, qualities, quantities, you may understand God.”
    ― Giordano Bruno

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Innocence is beauty. Ignorance is death" -Yana Toboso

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ugh ffs. ya

“The arrogance of wanting to be loved had emerged only now it was unreciprocated—I was left alone with my desire, defenseless, beyond the law, shockingly crude in my demands: Love me! And for what reason? I had only the usual paltry, insufficient excuse: Because I love you.”
    ― Alain de Botton, On Love

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    ugh ffs. ya

“The arrogance of wanting to be loved had emerged only now it was unreciprocated—I was left alone with my desire, defenseless, beyond the law, shockingly crude in my demands: Love me! And for what reason? I had only the usual paltry, insufficient excuse: Because I love you.”
    ― Alain de Botton, On Love
    This guy's name sounds like something the French do behind closed doors.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Science Fiction. Or maybe from a long historical line of human apocalyptic stories:

It was said that a berserker could if required assume even a pleasing shape. But there was no such requirement here. Flashing through the billion-starred silence, it was massive and dark and purely functional in design. It was a planet-buster of a machine headed for the world called Corlano to pound its cities to rubble, to eradicate its entire biosphere. It possessed the ability to do this without exceptional difficulty, so that no subtlety, no guile, no reliance on fallible goodlife were required. It had its directive, it had its weapons.

It never wondered why this should be the way of its kind. It never questioned the directive. It never speculated whether it might be, in its own fashion, itself a lifeform, albeit artificial. It was a single-minded killing machine, and if purpose may be considered a virtue it was to this extent virtuous.

Almost unnecessarily, its receptors scanned far ahead. It knew that Corlano did not possess extraordinary defenses. It anticipated no difficulties on this count.

Who hath drawn the circuits for the lion?

-Roger Zelazny

TIM
    ILI - H/C 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"You want me to understand your sadness? You think I'm gonna sympathize with you? I swore to protect my daughter and my friends. If someone puts them in danger, they must stand aside or be cut down!"

- Nier, to his tragic enemy.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

26. Plants do not actually sleep. Nor do they lie or even bluff. They do, however, expose their genitalia.

Anne carson

TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Albert Einstein on God
    Published on Feb 11, 2010

Your question is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things.

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Jonas Mekas

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Fariha Róisín

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Roland Barthes

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'When a summit of life is reached, the bud unfolds and from the lesser the greater emerges...' Carl Jung

TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O thou, my Will! Thou change of every need, MY needfulness! Preserve me from all small victories!

Thou fatedness of my soul, which I call fate! Thou In-me! Over-me! Preserve and spare me for one great fate!

And thy last greatness, my Will, spare it for thy last--that thou mayest be inexorable IN thy victory! Ah, who hath not succumbed to his victory!

Ah, whose eye hath not bedimmed in this intoxicated twilight! Ah, whose foot hath not faltered and forgotten in victory--how to stand!--

--That I may one day be ready and ripe in the great noontide: ready and ripe like the glowing ore, the lightning-bearing cloud, and the swelling milk-udder:--

--Ready for myself and for my most hidden Will: a bow eager for its arrow, an arrow eager for its star:--

--A star, ready and ripe in its noontide, glowing, pierced, blessed, by annihilating sun-arrows:--

--A sun itself, and an inexorable sun-will, ready for annihilation in victory!

O Will, thou change of every need, MY needfulness! Spare me for one great victory!---

Thus spake Zarathustra.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.

Rumi

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“If someone is not treating you with love and respect, it is a gift if they walk away from you. If that person doesn't walk away, you will surely endure many years of suffering with him or her. Walking away may hurt for a while, but your heart will eventually heal. Then you can choose what you really want. You will find that you don't need to trust others as much as you need to trust yourself to make the right choices.”
    Don Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anakin's One Dream Poem | The Phantom Menace 20th Anniversary.

What if dreams came true, and you could be who you wanted to be
    You could do what you wanted to do
    And you could help who you wanted to help
    What if dreams came true, and the world opened up
    And you were never, ever afraid
    What if dreams came true, but dreams do come true, don't they?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

“This is a story about love and adventure...”
    -Frank Herbert, age eight.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it is in vain to fight them

But at least I can look myself in the eye

I will fall honorably like a field cavalry

I will not disappear quietly, I will at least bruise them

I know they have thick covers

But my word will leave a mark and reach them

I will defeat their hatred in my eyes

These lines fill me with hope whenever I listen to this song.

I am completely optimistic

Although the light at the end of the tunnel can be a train

Instead of a wall I will make a bridge

If you think the same, be my guest

No one will come, nothing will fall from the sky

We are the ones we have been waiting for

(taken from Gori by Frenkie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxxhGtgIeP8 )

The last quoted lines send a bittersweet theme of hope and optimism that resonate the most with me.