Thread: cool documentaries

Hybrid View

Creepy-bg

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    I heard that Fred Phelps was excommunicated by his own church near the end of his life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I heard that Fred Phelps was excommunicated by his own church near the end of his life.
    Wow I didn't realize that. That's harsh.

Pastor Fred Waldron Phelps Sr. was excommunicated from the Westboro Baptist Church after advocating a kinder approach between church members.The excommunication occurred after the formation of a board of male elders in the church. The board had defeated Shirley Phelps-Roper, the church’s longtime spokeswoman, in a power struggle, and Fred Phelps Sr. called for kinder treatment of fellow church members.
    The board then ejected Fred Phelps Sr., who founded the church in the 1950s.
    (link)

On the day that he was excommunicated, he stood outside of the front door of the church...he spoke words to this effect to the Equality House: 'You are good people.'
    (link)

---

Gotta keep ahead in the cruelty curve if you want to stay in upper management of a cult it seems. Otherwise you get kicked out for being too soft by everyone else who was suffering at your hand before.

More on WBC is the documentary by Steve Drain, during the making of which he then converted.

Another good documentary is Going Clear by HBO. Pretty fair look at Scientology, without too much sensationalism.