Thread: INTp Jobs/Careers/Occupations: What do fellow ILIs do for a living?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm not ILI, so I'll just go from the ones I know.

One of them is a barrister (court room lawyer), one is doing a PhD in philosophy and intends on becoming an academic and one is in a band with me and has no concrete plans to do anything other than a media degree and be in that band. All three are quite creative people and think well outside the box at times.

I think innovation and creativity are the two big things for ILIs, even if they themselves won't admit it. They can typically pour through large amounts of writing, so things like research, academia and law suit them well. They're kind of like the theoretical to LIE's practical.

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    I've played around with the idea of doing,,,,philosophy. Is there such thing as a field that ILIs generally prefer or are good at? My instinct tells me there is. Whatever the case, I'm interested to hear it.
    I don't really know my type anymore or if type even exists, but, assuming, I usually lean towards ILI. So, as a possible ILI, I too also have a passion for philosophy. I've always liked Nassim Nicholas Taleb's conception of resilient truths, ie that memes that last, whether or not they are "empirical" in a shallow scientific sense, are proven to have some utility due to their continued existence. What is philosophy, then, but a compendium of strains of thought which have stood the test of time? (Modern science, meanwhile, has a (relatively) very fast overturn and mutation rate, which Schopenhauer was keenly aware of.)

So make of that what you will.

My ILI uncle works in IT, some kind of software management or architecture. Some of the MBTI INTJ sites half-jokingly say all INTJs become programmers eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I think all three of them have voiced the importance of moving or just doing something. Inertia seems to be a big part of Ni(<--input on this observation would be helpful)
    Once again, not sure I'm ILI, but...yeah, this is kind of the reason I have a love-hate relationship with academia. I like consuming large information dumps for fun; the more I know, the more prepared I feel. But the social structure as a whole is rife with space-cadet Ne types, who want to discuss the myriad ideal worlds out there. me, I'd rather live on planet earth, provide a good or service that people actually need, instead of being part of the parasitic "intellectual" class...but I digress.;;

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't tell if a trend is emerging yet, but they all have more than one thing that they're interested in... and I think all three of them have voiced the importance of moving or just doing something. Inertia seems to be a big part of Ni(<--input on this observation would be helpful)
    This, I know to be true just by being ILI. I waver a lot, and I've already decided that I'm going to have to just pick something and go with it because I will never know until I just try something. I've driven my parents insane just going over what I want to major in a million times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    I think innovation and creativity are the two big things for ILIs, even if they themselves won't admit it. They can typically pour through large amounts of writing, so things like research, academia and law suit them well. They're kind of like the theoretical to LIE's practical.
    haha, I'd be willing to claim those talents. I'd love to be able to be innovative in whatever field I choose.

In addition to what you mentioned, I think there are a lot of INTp investors and traders also. I think the market probably appeals to Gamma NTs generally (It appeals to me at least).

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a different note, are there not many Gammas on this site? Not sure yet (new) but it seemed like a thing.
    Not a ton compared to Beta or Alpha and most of the ones that are on here aren't especially active.

I read @Expat's thing on hidden agenda (whoa, interesting!)... do you think ILIs are closet idealists? Not, like, impractical dreamers or anything, but like, Fi-flavor idealists?[
    Yes and Yes. I think the types of idealists ILIs represent are usually different from the ones alphas and betas represent. Though I don't think that excludes ILIs from being ideological due to Demonstrative Ti and Mobilizing Fi. So I think you are on the right track by calling them Fi flavored idealists.

I was wondering, too, because I read a fairly well-developed argument on a different site for the character, Jay Gatsby, being ILI. Thoughts? <--Sorry, this is sorta off-topic... but it could potentially influence ILI career decisions... like, if Ni+Fi were to "loop," as they say, I could see it leading to very high standards (with regards to future investments as well as ethical considerations)
    That's really interesting. Could you show me where you found that argument? I've never really thought about him being ILI but I could actually see it. While I wasn't a fan of The Great Gatsby I've felt like I could relate to Gatsby. Also i agree with you on the Ni+Fi loop.
    Last edited by Contra; 08-18-2014 at 01:25 AM.