Quote Originally Posted by Cone
Yeah, but this way of thinking can be very dangerous. While it may be true in many cases, you will find places where people make unfair distinctions between functions and then justify them this way. For example, many people used to think (and still do think) that Ti is a function of understanding and Te is a function of use, so that Ti seeks to understand something fully but Te only seeks to apply it somewhere, not necessarily understanding it. The justification of this was that Ti can be impractical alot of the times, and Te has the benefit of being practical and efficient. But that is wrong, because using something without understanding it is detrimental no matter how you look at it. Plus, being able to effectively apply an idea requires that you understand it a great deal, especially how it fits in with other ideas.
How is it a consequence of acknowledging that one has to be foreign to one of the two functions? Your example implies that one pretends to know both functions and treats the one he doesn't know as a bad function simply because he doesn't relate to it naturally (Or correctly).

Also, the rest of my post basically discouraged the process you described in your example and i consider it a part of the complete "way of thinking". Maybe you didn't read it though, since you only quoted the part of my post Joy quoted.