Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
Oh my daughter's tantrums were pretty demonic. A friend of mine who is a nurse saw one and said I should have her evaluated for epilepsy because it almost looked like a seizure to her.

The intensity of the tantrum is a difference to us, but to the child a tantrum is a tantrum. They aren't any more or less in control of a bad tantrum than a mild one, so reacting differently to them based on intensity is only for our benefit - there isn't any teaching value in that. And "discipline" means teaching, not punishment, so it's important to keep in mind what is being taught.
OH NO, You were one of those moms too! hmmm I think you underestimate children. They know what works and what wont and they CAN control themselves given the proper insentives. Thats what the discipline/teaching is about. Even before they are 1 years old babies start to push boundries and manipulate. Ive seen it! Let me conclude by saying that any correction should be done in love not anger or exasperation. Each child is different so different approaches are called for.