Thread: Male ESI's and Female LIE's (ISFj and ENTj)

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    Any observations on the two types individually? Or how the dynamic between them supposedly plays out?

I thought it'd be interesting since most Gamma stereotypes seem to assume that ESI's are female and LIE's are male.
    If you feel like it, could you change the title? Plurals that aren't possessive or contractions don't need apostrophes. So, it would be "Male ESIs and Female LIEs (ISFj and ENTj)"

It's not life and death, so don't stress yourself to do it

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    If you feel like it, could you change the title? Plurals that aren't possessive or contractions don't need apostrophes. So, it would be "Male ESIs and Female LIEs (ISFj and ENTj)"

It's not life and death, so don't stress yourself to do it
    I use the style "LIE's and ESI's" and I'm aware that the notation is technically incorrect, but I'm trying to change the language in the interest of clarity.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I use the style "LIE's and ESI's" and I'm aware that the notation is technically incorrect, but I'm trying to change the language in the interest of clarity.
    how is using the possessive MORE clear when we have a plural that already makes sense?

It's extra clear, given the acronym has capital letters and the 's' is lowercase, that the s is a plural one and not some additional word in the abbreviation.

I'm all for language changing, but we'd be making it LESS clear and more redundant if we changed it that way.

"Making an Abbreviation Plural
    Simply add an “s” to an abbreviation to make it plural. (Do not add an apostrophe.)

I work with five other RNs during a typical shift.

Note: RN is a commonly used acronym found in Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, so it does not need to be introduced. See the “Exceptions to the Rules” section below for more information about commonly used abbreviations."

academicguides.waldenu

newsroom.unl.edu:

"Example:
    He graduated in 1992. The nineties were a great decade. He thinks the '90s were overrated."

Oooo! I'm glad you brought this up, Strange, becauses I learned something I didn't know:

"Here’s the relevant portion of The Times’s stylebook entry:

Use apostrophes for plurals of abbreviations that have capital letters and periods: M.D.’s, C.P.A.’s. Also use apostrophes for plurals formed from single letters: He received A’s and B’s on his report card. Mind your p’s and q’s.

But do not use apostrophes for plurals of abbreviations without periods, or for plurals formed from figures: TVs, PCs, DVDs; 1990s, 747s, size 7s.
    "

nytimes.com

It's not life or death. it's just confusing to read. Your brain's waiting for the noun to show up that the adjective (the possessive word) modifies . . . and it never shows.

The dictator's _____ were playing croquet.
    The dictators were playing croquet.

Don't worry about the kid's.
    The kid's what?
    No, don't worry about them.
    Oh, you mean 'don't worry about the kids.'
    Last edited by nanashi; 12-01-2020 at 05:38 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

how is using the possessive MORE clear when we have a plural that already makes sense?

It's extra clear, given the acronym has capital letters and the 's' is lowercase, that the s is a plural one and not some additional word in the abbreviation.

I'm all for language changing, but we'd be making it LESS clear and more redundant if we changed it that way.
    I view the type designations as strings of nonsense letters, and separating those letters from a possessive "s" with an apostrophe seems to read more easily to me. Your mileage may vary, but I'm thinking

SEIs, ESTjs, etc., are a bit hard to parse if you are just encountering the nomenclature of Socionics. This is my one intentional deviation from proper English, and I don't think the fact that it violates the Time's style definitions is that big a deal.

If my peculiar practice bothers people, they can revel in the idea that they are right and I am wrong.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I view the type designations as strings of nonsense letters, and separating those letters from a possessive "s" with an apostrophe seems to read more easily to me. Your mileage may vary, but I'm thinking

SEIs, ESTjs, etc., are a bit hard to parse if you are just encountering the nomenclature of Socionics. This is my one intentional deviation from proper English, and I don't think the fact that it violates the Time's style definitions is that big a deal.

If my peculiar practice bothers people, they can revel in the idea that they are right and I am wrong.
    Yeah, but if that's only because you're only used to seeing possessives, so it seems familiar and your mind feels weird seeing an 's' for a plural, that's just the psychology of the development of the weird feel. but you're losing the meaning of the symbols if you change it the way you're proposing. the actual FUNCTION of the ' and the s are being lost if you just merge them all. Then there isn't the distinction, and it messes up the structure.

Also, I'm high on joy and thus have a LOT of energy for low priority stuff. Please don't feel judged as deficient or something. I'm not feeling that toward anyone

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alexandra Botez

Seems LIE, like Personality Database states.
    They have her as 3w4

NSFW

her sis seems like a 7 and maybe a feeler. it's a very enjoyable dynamic.

Update: Personality database has the sister as 7w8 ESTP.
    Last edited by nanashi; 12-01-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

her sis seems like a 7 and maybe a feeler
    ISFP

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)