Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kalinoche View Post
    Ubasute may never have been widely practiced, but you have no idea how useful would be the fact that it could be.

When my son was little and was misbehaving, I told him that if he kept it up, his mother and I would give him back to the orphanage where we got him. He looked at me for a minute and left the room, probably to ask his mother what an orphanage was. I don't think he believed me at any point.

Damn, things were so much easier in the days of Dickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Ubasute may never have been widely practiced, but you have no idea how useful would be the fact that it could be.
    useful in what regard and context?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

useful in what regard and context?

I know a female ESI who is married to a male ILI, and both are from India but are living in the States. Apparently, they live with his aging mother, who rules the household with an iron fist. I doubt if this arrangement would be easy for an ESI to deal with. She's already dealing with the ILI.

Sometimes, just the threat of being kicked out will moderate a person's behavior. You can't always count on people operating from the goodness of their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I know a female ESI who is married to a male ILI, and both are from India but are living in the States. Apparently, they live with his aging mother, who rules the household with an iron fist. I doubt if this arrangement would be easy for an ESI to deal with. She's already dealing with the ILI.

Sometimes, just the threat of being kicked out will moderate a person's behavior. You can't always count on people operating from the goodness of their hearts.
    in your example, the mother is supposedly counting on the couple's goodness? could it be that they are just used to this kind of restriction and everyone may get what they need in this arrangement?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

in your example, the mother is supposedly counting on the couple's goodness? could it be that they are just used to this kind of restriction and everyone may get what they need in this arrangement?
    No, not exactly, The daughter-in-law is counting on the mother-in-law to not be too domineering, since the mother-in-law holds all the power. The mother-in-law rules the home, not the ESI. The ESI just lives and works there for her husband, but isn't "in charge" of the house.

I don't know how well this works in their case.