What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    According to the review, it just tells people to get a job. That doesn't fix the problem at all, since most jobs are either burger flipping or middle management, and most people who take them still dress like children, talk like children, listen to nothing but adolescent music, read nothing but comic books, watch nothing but cartoons, play a lot of video games, buy toys, and talk about "what they want to be" even though they're literally already something (just not what they waaaaaaant.) And OK, probably no one does all of that, and I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with some things crossing over from youth culture to adult culture since innovation is generally good, the problem is when there simply isn't a such thing as adult culture to begin with. Especially when it gets to the point that parents and children behave basically identically and parents seem to expect their children to parent them when they're old and the children work. I just think: guys, you realize there's no real economic return there, just a lack of mature independence, right?
    No it doesn't just tell people to get a job, even though work can be a solution. It discusses the problem from a very psychological / introverted perspective. I recommend this book because von Franz seems to truly understand and put into words the mentality of a man-child. I felt that reading her analysis was like fresh air. It's not exactly an easy book though.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    No it doesn't just tell people to get a job, even though work can be a solution. It discusses the problem from a very psychological / introverted perspective. I recommend this book because von Franz seems to truly understand and put into words the mentality of a man-child. I felt that reading her analysis was like fresh air. It's not exactly an easy book though.
    Anyways, when you say a lot of people on the forum could benefit, do you mean that a lot of people seem like overgrown children to you in people's conversations, in Finland, or both (or neither?)