Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting articles thread

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Lol

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-red-pill.html

Last November, voters in New Hampshire’s Lakes Region re-elected to the state house of representatives a man who appears to be one of the secret architects of the internet’s misogynistic “Manosphere.”

The homegrown son of a preacher, 31-year-old Robert Fisher is a Republican who represents New Hampshire’s Belknap County District 9. In addition to his legislative duties, Fisher owns a local computer-repair franchise, and in his spare time, seems to have created the web’s most popular online destination for pickup artistry and men’s rights activists, The Red Pill, according an investigation by the Daily Beast.

It’s possible that now, four-and-a-half years after Red Pill’s founding, Fisher may regret his creation. When reached for comment by phone, Fisher denied participation in the Red Pill forum, claiming not to know what The Red Pill was. Though he did say he had heard of the men’s rights movement, he said he hadn’t heard of PUA. “What is a pickup artist?” he asked.

Within hours of contacting Rep. Fisher, and after delivering by email a summary of his apparent connections to The Red Pill kingpin, his two primary Reddit usernames had been wiped, and four blogs connected to him were deleted or made private. He has not returned additional requests for comment.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

YWIMW

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

'make America big again'? The headache of translating Trump into foreign languages

For some, his simple vocabulary and grammatical structure make his speeches easy to follow. But for others, his confusing logic, his tendency to jump quickly from topic to topic and his lack of attributions for so-called facts make his remarks sound like a puzzling jumble, and that creates a headache when translating Trump’s speeches for non-English audiences.

Bérengère Viennot, a professional French translator, said in a recent interview with the Los Angeles Review of Books that Trump’s broken syntax, often limited vocabulary and repetition of phrases make it difficult to create texts that read coherently in French, a very structured and logical language.

“Most of the time, when he speaks he seems not to know quite where he’s going,” Viennot said. “It’s as if he had thematic clouds in his head that he would pick from with no need of a logical thread to link them.”

She is left with a dilemma: either translate Trump exactly as he speaks — and let French readers struggle with the content — or keep the content, but smooth out the style, “so that it is a little bit more intelligible, leading non-English speakers to believe that Trump is an ordinary politician who speaks properly.”

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    'make America big again'? The headache of translating Trump into foreign languages

For some, his simple vocabulary and grammatical structure make his speeches easy to follow. But for others, his confusing logic, his tendency to jump quickly from topic to topic and his lack of attributions for so-called facts make his remarks sound like a puzzling jumble, and that creates a headache when translating Trump’s speeches for non-English audiences.

Bérengère Viennot, a professional French translator, said in a recent interview with the Los Angeles Review of Books that Trump’s broken syntax, often limited vocabulary and repetition of phrases make it difficult to create texts that read coherently in French, a very structured and logical language.

“Most of the time, when he speaks he seems not to know quite where he’s going,” Viennot said. “It’s as if he had thematic clouds in his head that he would pick from with no need of a logical thread to link them.”

She is left with a dilemma: either translate Trump exactly as he speaks — and let French readers struggle with the content — or keep the content, but smooth out the style, “so that it is a little bit more intelligible, leading non-English speakers to believe that Trump is an ordinary politician who speaks properly.”
    If that's not PoLR ^^^

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Angel of the Odd: Dark Romanticism from Goya to Max Ernst

The exhibition is gone but... look at that.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    If that's not PoLR ^^^
    LOL. Delivery vs content. (My mind is full of movable boxes that come together). I have thought many times that it would be easier to read if content was abstracted into block diagrams.

Another project to...
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Symbols used by Atheists

A scarlet script "A":

Richard Dawkins, one of the world's most famous Atheists, has founded the "OUT campaign." Its purpose is to encourage Atheists to come out of their self-imposed closet and go public with their beliefs. Their symbol is this capital "A." Their campaign offers for sale various T-shirts containing this symbol. It seems to have been around among Atheist circles for quite a while.
    Dawkin's campaign web site says, in part:
    "As more and more people join the OUT Campaign, fewer and fewer people will feel intimidated by religion. We can help others understand that atheists come in all shapes, sizes, colors and personalities. We are laborers and professionals. We are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers and grandparents. We are human (we are primates) and we are good friends and good citizens. We are good people who have no need to cling to the supernatural.
    "It is time to let our voices be heard regarding the intrusion of religion in our schools and politics. Atheists along with millions of others are tired of being bullied by those who would force their own religious agenda down the throats of our children and our respective governments. We need to KEEP OUT the supernatural from our moral principles and public policies." 10
    Unfortunately, a scarlet letter A in script also triggers memories of Nathaniel Hawthorne's classic work of historical fiction, "The Scarlet Letter," in which the red letter A refers to the adultery of Hester Prynne.
    I thought that was intentional, since everyone always complains "My family is disowning and disinheriting me and throwing me out for coming out as an atheist!" on the Internet. Connecting your beliefs to adultery is not beneficial, but saying you feel like Hester Prynne seems intentional.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an article on how toxic everything is:

Cancer Warning Labels Based on California’s Proposition 65

Yes, it's pretty much everything. So if you or someone you know is alarmed by things being toxic, point out that everything is toxic and get on with your life. If that triggers a state of paranoia, you/they have way bigger issues that have just finally been confronted.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Middle Earth is real

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fucking gangster.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Family: How to Overcome the Shame of Being An “Identified Patient”/Black Sheep

"It’s important to note that families who assign scapegoats or Identified Patients often go to great measures to keep the member of the family they’ve unconsciously chosen that way, otherwise they are forced to face their own inadequacies. So if you’re stuck in a pull-tug relationship with your family where they treat you like crap, but cry and mope when you back away, this is why."

My God

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Read just this

Hipsters... gaydar... lmaoooo how it all backfires

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not an article but

False Cognates

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sick Systems: How to Keep Someone With You Forever

(I feel like more people on this site can use this information for good than harm, but I'm sure it'll be used both ways. Information needs to be free.)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post

(I feel like more people on this site can use this information for good than harm, but I'm sure it'll be used both ways. Information needs to be free.)
    Shit like this makes me angry as fuck, who's the author? I wanna go choke some sense into him (or her). It's even transparent that this is sick. No, this cannot be used for a good purpose, period. Freedom of information? Selfish abuse tactics like that should not be out there. The shittiest thing is that you can't prevent the author from writing this and when a person uses this system it's hard to detect. Dangerous, controlling, manipulative, exploitative, disturbing, brutal, inhumane, this article is all of this. Whoever here expresses favor of it gets taken down verbally by me (and I sort out the trolls).

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Shit like this makes me angry as fuck, who's the author? I wanna go choke some sense into him (or her). It's even transparent that this is sick. No, this cannot be used for a good purpose, period. Freedom of information? Selfish abuse tactics like that should not be out there. The shittiest thing is that you can't prevent the author from writing this and when a person uses this system it's hard to detect. Dangerous, controlling, manipulative, exploitative, disturbing, brutal, inhumane, this article is all of this. Whoever here expresses favor of it gets taken down verbally by me (and I sort out the trolls).
    I mean for people to get out by seeing what they're doing. The name doesn't sound like something glamorous to do in the first place, compared to say Red Pill's bullshit terms like "the door tactic" (which got parodied as the Doors tactic before).

...Never mind what the links at the bottom say.

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post

Scrolling through this article, it sounds like a lot of people fall into habits like these completely inadvertently. Well idk it reminds me of my mom lol. Just naturally toxic.

Interesting blog btw.

This stuff:

For several years now I've followed blogs about narcissists and other abusers, written by victims of abuse. They're powerful tools for recovery, and powerful testimonials to the impact of emotional abusers on other people's lives. What's been missing is the abusers' perspective on the abuse. The narcissists I see online don't write about their relationships with their children and close friends; they hardly write about their own partners, except as props in the narcissist's ongoing drama. I assumed that there was no way to get the abusers' side of the story, that abusers are smart enough to not incriminate themselves in their own blogs, and like hell would they get together with other abusers to discuss abuse.I was wrong.
    The keywords to find abusers' support communities are "estranged parents" and "grandparents' rights."
    http://www.issendai.com/psychology/e...ent/index.html

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the bright, white atrium of London’s Carroll/Fletcher gallery, I recently sniffed armageddon off the end of a cardboard strip. The perfume, called Apocalypse, is by art partners Jon Thomson and Alison Craighead and forms part of their new show, Party Booby Trap, which opened this week.

To create this fatalistic fragrance, the pair went through the Book of Revelation, plucking out every mention of a scented element: thunder, blood, rocks of the mountains, incense, wormwood, rod of iron, creatures of the sea, hail and fire, animal horns, flesh burned with fire, brimstone and, of course, a grievous sore. They then passed this somewhat unlikely shopping list on to Edinburgh-based perfumer Euan McCall to turn the 1611 King James Bible’s vision of annihilation into a “wearable scent”. That’s right, a limited-edition bottle of liquid doom can be yours for just £300 plus VAT.
    waits for a Demeter Fragrances version

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast