Thread: Weak Se and a question about driving

Hybrid View

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Weak Se is not related to ability to drive ability.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EIE - Fe / E3 sp/so
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post

Able Extraverted Sensing ability seems like it is definitely necessary in order to be a decent driver.

"Extroverted sensing is an extroverted, irrational, and static information element. It is also called Se, F, volitional sensing, or black sensing. Se includes the ability to know how much power, force, or influence is latent or required."

source: http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/i...on_elements/Se

"External Statics of Objects - Se is responsible for the perception, control, defense, and acquisition of space, territory, and control. It observes outward appearances, estimates whether forces are in alignment or conflict, and uses strength of will and power-based methods to achieve purposes. Se understands territory and physical aggression."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socionics

I would think that the above examples includes knowing when to make real time driving decisions such as to brake, turn, slow down or speed up in relation to ones movements while driving a car. No?
    "Moral crusaders with zeal but no ethical understanding are likely to give us solutions that are worse than the problems."
    Charles Colson, How Now Shall We Live?

Fe - EIE Harmonizing 3w2
    Married to my dual LSI
    1w9

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
    I would think that the above examples includes knowing when to make real time driving decisions such as to brake, turn, slow down or speed up in relation to ones movements while driving a car. No?
    I was thinking maybe motor skills have more to do with this.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
    Able Extraverted Sensing ability seems like it is definitely necessary in order to be a decent driver.

"Extroverted sensing is an extroverted, irrational, and static information element. It is also called Se, F, volitional sensing, or black sensing. Se includes the ability to know how much power, force, or influence is latent or required."

source: http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/i...on_elements/Se

"External Statics of Objects - Se is responsible for the perception, control, defense, and acquisition of space, territory, and control. It observes outward appearances, estimates whether forces are in alignment or conflict, and uses strength of will and power-based methods to achieve purposes. Se understands territory and physical aggression."
    source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socionics

In my experiences, this is why I have a better time driving my old car than the new car; once the power steering went out in the old car, I loved it! I knew exactly, from a hands-on standpoint, what my turns were doing based on how hard I had to pull the wheel. Got me to take it easier on the tires. On that note, the much-thinner tires I replaced my old tires and wheels with made me feel like a previously-invisible veil was lifted off of me, because once again, what the road and the tires and the car were telling me weren't dampened by inches of pillowy, pressurized air; there was no dulling of the ride, and almost nothing separating the car from the realities of the road itself; I felt myself smash every pothole, I felt the grain of the road itself beneath me and whether it was asphalt or concrete, I felt the specific bumpiness of a peeled-up road ready to get paved. A direct and wordless communication existed loud and clear between my body, the car, and the road beneath me. When I pressed on the brakes, the car slowed down in respect to how hard I pushed on the brakes. Driving a new car took all of this away, and I felt like my body itself was blind; the brakes jerked, the ride of the car itself told me nothing at all, it made as much sense to me as walking with my eyes duct-taped shut.

I also suspect my irritation at people pulling their cars up in anticipation of my next move, and who knows what else, to have something to do with a relative underfocus on the intuitive compared to the sensate from me; if I'm approaching an intersection, and I have the right-of-way, seeing a car close the distance between where I'm at and where they're at, going towards me; I see them taking action that brings the cars closer to a crash. Not that my estimations would be right, wrong, or anything after the fact, because the moment's gone when it's gone; I see what I see, I see them coming at me, and I don't want to slam into them with my car, or have them slam into me.
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    EIE - Fe / E3 sp/so
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Martrix View Post
    I was thinking maybe motor skills have more to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    In my experiences, this is why I have a better time driving my old car than the new car; once the power steering went out in the old car, I loved it! I knew exactly, from a hands-on standpoint, what my turns were doing based on how hard I had to pull the wheel. Got me to take it easier on the tires. On that note, the much-thinner tires I replaced my old tires and wheels with made me feel like a previously-invisible veil was lifted off of me, because once again, what the road and the tires and the car were telling me weren't dampened by inches of pillowy, pressurized air; there was no dulling of the ride, and almost nothing separating the car from the realities of the road itself; I felt myself smash every pothole, I felt the grain of the road itself beneath me and whether it was asphalt or concrete, I felt the specific bumpiness of a peeled-up road ready to get paved. A direct and wordless communication existed loud and clear between my body, the car, and the road beneath me. When I pressed on the brakes, the car slowed down in respect to how hard I pushed on the brakes. Driving a new car took all of this away, and I felt like my body itself was blind; the brakes jerked, the ride of the car itself told me nothing at all, it made as much sense to me as walking with my eyes duct-taped shut.

100% agree with what you've described and love the way you worded it. You captured exactly what I do love about driving. For this reason I only drive cars with tight suspensions and the less computerized bells and whistles the better. I also learned basic car maintenance from a guy neighbour down my street when I got my first car as a teenager. Having that hands on and logical knowledge of how the car works makes a big difference, I think.
    "Moral crusaders with zeal but no ethical understanding are likely to give us solutions that are worse than the problems."
    Charles Colson, How Now Shall We Live?

Fe - EIE Harmonizing 3w2
    Married to my dual LSI
    1w9

TIM
    EII sx/so
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Thank goodness you boosted my confidence