Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weak Se and a question about driving

It's possible. I have heard Ni doms complain more about other people's driving than the hazards of driving itself, I imagine the desire for territorial dominance (Se suggestive) conflicts greatly with the need to sort of democratically share space with others on the road. The same Ni doms may enjoy driving in a stretch of space apart from other drivers.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fear is pretty rational.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am not a particularly good driver but i like to drive really fast on straight roads (ex. autobahn and large motorways etc.)

however i don't own my own car because it costs a shitload of money to mantain
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se role, I actually love driving and am very good at it. But my life was filled with things that would raise my "Se" so to speak, my gamma parents sent me to a military school, I hit semi pro in Billiards. Essentially spacial awareness is extremely high, observation is extremely high, Mix that with my lead Ne and you get some very extreme drivin' skills, awareness and prediction. When I'm on a crash course for a corner of a car or something my awareness tunnel visions on anything that my car could hit, and I get a weird spidey sensation. It's really messed up

That being said, object awareness is the only Se thing I've got, and the procrastination is still horrifying, I still can't ask people to do something they don't want to without being pants on head awkward and I have no desire or need to attain more crap.

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    As a corollary to my post, I realize my hypothesis of and being the best functions for driving would make Beta the best quadra for driving, with both an Fe-leading an Se-leading type, EIE and SLE, and make Delta the worst quadra for driving, with and being weak and subdued, with SLI and EII being stereotypically the weakest drivers.

I do have an SLI friend though who's a very reliable driver. He never talks though when he drives. He must be subconsciously using his Ignoring function.
    Interesting. I've never had the desire to drive, which I've put down to weak Se (status things being worthless) and possibly weak Ni (why drive when I can use alternative methods of travel, like riding my bike which is cost free).

Hmph. I also don't like being interrupted/spoken to while I'm working on something, otherwise I lose my concentration and make mistakes.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StridingStrider View Post
    Interesting. I've never had the desire to drive, which I've put down to weak Se (status things being worthless)
    How is driving connected to status? I just think it's about going somewhere in either a relatively fast fashion, or about having the possibility to reach places which are hard to reach by public transport. Now, driving a Ferrari may be status-related...
    Last edited by FDG; 05-27-2014 at 02:06 PM.

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is, objectively. But subjectively I see it as all too connected with displays of wealth/power. It is in my family, and the 'chavs' I grew up with.

Public transport is much better in Britain as opposed to America anyhow, regardless, I always choose an individual method of transportation.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevero View Post
    i've overhead the following statement from someone who presumably has Ni as a base function: "i hate driving. whose bright idea it was to put something as fallible as a human being behind a 2 ton construction and allow them to accelerate it up to 70 mph? [local highway speed limit]".

would this be an example of apprehension and anxiety caused by weak Se? at first i thought that they are so nervous about driving due to Se-PoLR, but i've also noticed them spacing out and going into some kind of haze and later attempting to make up for it, which seemed to be strong Ni.

do any of the ILIs or IEIs share this sentiment (also LIIs and EIIs, is this kind of anxiety familiar to you)? does driving at high(er) speeds unsettle you? do/did you feel apprehensive about learning how to drive, owning and operating a car?
    Yeah I think it could be a manifestation of both weak Se and weak Si.

I've always been terrible with depth perception and judging distances, so i failed the drivers' test twice -- first because i flunked parallel parking and second because i accidentally drove over a cone divider marking the opposing direction -- before finally passing after taking a formal driving course with a patient one-on-one instructor.

I got my drivers' license late, but this was in part because i had a low tolerance for my mom's "coaching" which usually entailed her screaming, cursing, name calling, and grabbing my arm, thigh, etc and pinching, hitting, just because she was anxious about being in the passenger's seat (and that's just her teaching "style" in general). My saint of a sister put up with it, but I just couldn't. I can't learn that way.

Once I finally passed and got my license, it was a few years before I got my own car, and started driving. At first I was really really nervous, and it was really just practicing a lot on little back streets that got me more and more comfortable, as well as necessity driving on highways to get from point A to Point B that got me into a nice groove of driving. Now it's like second nature and i've learned (after a few bumps and scratches on my brand new car) the approximate distances to keep, etc. The last big dent in my car was made as i was driving into my building's garage after a long late day at work a few months ago, when i was really sleepy and worn out, and i just misjudged the distance i needed to make a turn (so it still does happen).

Speedwise, i do feel uncomfortable going very fast... well it depends... if traffic is light, and minimal turns/curves involved, then i may feel perfectly comfy going well above the speed limit (motivated in part by my eagerness to get where i am going as quickly as possible and spend less time on the road). However, I will get nervous on curves, and especially in moderate traffic and struggle even at the speed limit. It also depends on my general state of well-restedness though, which can fluctuate.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    Here's a NPA theory take on driving, for what it's worth...

I got no license myself cuz I fear I might crash or run someone over.
    Delta NFs do tend to be perfectionists, so that isn't inconsistent.

TIM
    ESFj E6 W9 TRI 420
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

driving is boring and speed limits are such a drag oh yeah and fuck lights and stop signs aint nobody got time for that
    dont mind me im just working out my Fi

TIM
    ESFj E6 W9 TRI 420
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I got my drivers' license late, but this was in part because i had a low tolerance for my mom's "coaching" which usually entailed her screaming, cursing, name calling, and grabbing my arm, thigh, etc and pinching, hitting, just because she was anxious about being in the passenger's seat (and that's just her teaching "style" in general). My saint of a sister put up with it, but I just couldn't. I can't learn that way.
    wow that sounds brutal and distracting might i add

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5dolladogsoup View Post
    driving is boring and speed limits are such a drag oh yeah and fuck lights and stop signs aint nobody got time for that
    dont mind me im just working out my Fi
    Fi-PoLR?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus christ guys if I read all your stories you sound kind of like a bunch of retards. I mean most people in the world drive and pass the exam at first try.

TIM
    ESFj E6 W9 TRI 420
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Martrix View Post
    Fi-PoLR?
    im just trolling not sure if im ILE yet

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5dolladogsoup View Post
    wow that sounds brutal and distracting might i add
    yeah it was!! and my sister and I would tell her that. But she's a creature of emotion, so to no avail...

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StridingStrider View Post
    Interesting. I've never had the desire to drive, which I've put down to weak Se (status things being worthless) and possibly weak Ni (why drive when I can use alternative methods of travel, like riding my bike which is cost free).

Hmph. I also don't like being interrupted/spoken to while I'm working on something, otherwise I lose my concentration and make mistakes.
    As an SLI you should have fairly strong Se, though.
    I think you're right about the practicality aspect (SiTe and TeSi are all about practicality). I think the practicality that results in disregard for status symbols. Perhaps you meant Se-devaluing, rather than weak Se...

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Jesus christ guys if I read all your stories you sound kind of like a bunch of retards. I mean most people in the world drive and pass the exam at first try.
    hey not everyone is as keen behind the wheel as you! Dont assume things...(and don't judge! )

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    hey not everyone is as keen behind the wheel as you! Dont assume things...(and don't judge! )
    Well I actually am pretty bad at driving compared to many of my friends that's why I'm surprised

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I do not know if it has to do with Se but I had two car accidents because my head was out there.
    Other than that, I am a reckless and aggressive driver.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostInDreams View Post
    I do not know if it has to do with Se but I had two car accidents because my head was out there.
    Other than that, I am a reckless and aggressive driver.
    That's interesting. I am the opposite.
    Your head was where now?

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

That's interesting. I am the opposite.
    Your head was where now?
    The first car accident = I fell asleep and hit the speedway protection.
    The second one I was SMSing.
    And there was another one, I was in the clouds.
    Anyhow, I am either too slow or speed junkie. No moderation.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first car accident = I fell asleep and hit the speedway protection.
    The second one I was SMSing.
    And there was another one, I was in the clouds.
    Anyhow, I am either too slow or speed junkie. No moderation.
    Did you crash into anyone? Did you lose your license at any point?
    I can't imagine myself being a speed junkie. I used to have nightmares about driving!

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Did you crash into anyone? Did you lose your license at any point?
    I can't imagine myself being a speed junkie. I used to have nightmares about driving!
    I did not lose my license
    I did crash into someone but it wasn't my fault
    Funny huh?
    I am a speed junkie though.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not lose my license
    I did crash into someone but it wasn't my fault
    Funny huh?
    I am a speed junkie though.
    Wasn't your fault? You were SMSing!
    Funny now, maybe. I hope they were OK.
    What causes this behaviour in you? Dual-seeking?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Well my brother SEE recently said to me that he did not trust me with his car knowing how I drive. I did ask him how that was and he couldn't produce enough but to say "like a grandma." Proof is not in the pudding .
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Well my brother SEE recently said to me that he did not trust me with his car knowing how I drive. I did ask him how that was and he couldn't produce enough but to say "like a grandma." Proof is not in the pudding .
    may you just don't seem confident enough to drive.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    I lack confidence in it maybe, but I think the results should speak well for how I do. I may not show it to Se ego types what they expect to see to be convinced. I think the hesitations I make when in control of objects that big such as quick maneuvering in and out of lanes would explain his perception of my driving
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-09-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

n
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I lack confidence in it maybe, but I think the results should speak well for how I do. I may not show it to Se ego types what they expect to see to be convinced. I think the hesitations I make when in control of objects that big sich as quick maneuvering in and out of lanes would explain his perception of my driving
    You talk, and yet I can't hear you saying anything.

mark 8:18

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no interest in driving cars or cars themselves whatsoever. I occasionally tend to get annoyed when my friends talk about cars with excessive enthusiasm, I personally don't see the distinctive appeal in them. In my mind, they are convenient means of transportation, perhaps even living. That does sound interesting, having a car as your home. A perpetual wanderer.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    She's just bad at it, as she is with everything else in life. It's kind of sad, I was hoping there might be some redeeming qualities or a marketable skill in her. So far, nothing.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    She's just bad at it, as she is with everything else in life. It's kind of sad, I was hoping there might be some redeeming qualities or a marketable skill in her. So far, nothing.
    And you feel justified saying this because...?
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    And you feel justified saying this because...?
    Because retail made me a misanthrope.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I was just talking with my IEI friend how it's really suspicious how many of our friends don't drive (she's an excellent driver and I don't drive) and how she always ends up with guys who either don't have a driver's license or are too afraid/lazy to drive. She has probably dated all of the guys without a driver's license in our country already. It's very likely that we're just a bunch of retards though.

It's very weird not to drive where I'm from (you get treated as a child), but the avarage person here passes the exam the third time. It's very expensive and stressful (that's why I'm afraid of it).

I also remembered now that the worst drivers I know are EII and ESI (both girls hehe). It's easy for me to talk, but holy cow, how hard can it be??!! They've been driving for 10+ years and are still unable to drive straight on a straight empty road

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i dont drive and dont usually pay attention to how other people drive unless they have a style that stands out for some reason. my eii best friend is really......exciting......to be in a car with. my favorite was a couple weekends ago when she started to get off on an exit but then changed her mind and tried to drift back over to the freeway. i was like HEY NON NOONONONO. im usually a really calm passenger but she is one person who can make me yell, lol. her Se polr does not make her timid. more the opposite. she always makes me carsick cuz she's super jerky. but when people yell at her she's like "what? pff i got this"

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

My EII friend drives like a demented grandma with non-existent reflexes. Super slow, very anxious, glued to the steering wheel with both hands, awkward jerky movements and still manages to drive off the road into a field and into cars in front of her at super slow speed (doesnt know when to hit the brakes, so everybody starts yelling at her - and then she gets super offended like she has everything under control). It's a special talent I tell you.

When I finally get my driver's license, I think I will be a fast and impatient driver. I get very agressive if other people drive slowly or/ and in a retarted fashion

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a really, really bad driver.
    Once according to an SEE woman sitting in my car I was actually flipped off by a cop and didn't see.
    Another time I apparently almost hit a car while making a U-turn in a sketchy part of town late at night. Then that car actually turned around too to track me down, it sped up and got in front of me, and then parked in front of me forcing me to stop. Then this really muscular woman gets out and starts shouting at me from outside my window, I had to look really apologetic to get her to stop. Lol.

I think I inherited my poor driving skills from my mom (SEE) who actually runs red lights without seeing them and has, like me, driven on the wrong side of the road...

I don't drive currently, it's nice.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    I'm a really, really bad driver.
    Once according to an SEE woman sitting in my car I was actually flipped off by a cop and didn't see.
    Another time I apparently almost hit a car while making a U-turn in a sketchy part of town late at night. Then that car actually turned around too to track me down, it sped up and got in front of me, and then parked in front of me forcing me to stop. Then this really muscular woman gets out and starts shouting at me from outside my window, I had to look really apologetic to get her to stop. Lol.

I think I inherited my poor driving skills from my mom (SEE) who actually runs red lights without seeing them and has, like me, driven on the wrong side of the road...

I don't drive currently, it's nice.

Awww @lemontrees, but I imagine you as one of those absent-minded adorable Amelie incompetent type of drivers, not the rigid grandma incompetent one

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Awww @lemontrees, but I imagine you as one of those absent-minded adorable Amelie incompetent type of drivers, not the rigid grandma incompetent one

all I can say is that I'm glad no one's ever gotten hurt lol

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually love driving. Especially if its on long road trips. I will say that it took me a while to really get the hang of it when I first started out, but that probably had more to do with having parents who would constantly panic when I took the wheel.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Handling the objects called gearstick and pedals gracefully is certainly overwhelming task to do 100% of time. It gets hard to keep car running at slow speeds. Crossroads are bad too. Very weak Si (body handling). Makes passengers very nervous.
    Sometimes low Se makes people panic as well. It is sometimes hard to apply right pressure and just go. Sometimes it is minorly reckless due to possibility of miscalculation because at some point I have to act and just bite my lips and go. I don't see environment as fully as sensors.

My driving instructor said I was excellent at theoretical part of the test but was very doubtful that I could pass the actual driving part of it. It was kind of fun to see how they dumped down the physics in theoretical part and it bugged me a lot. Not a single equation of Newtonian mechanics! I passed the driving part of it at second try.

Anyways no one would like to see me driving a bus.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast