Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
I don't think one would trust the market to set a rate; you should fight for the rent instead.

One gains relative wealth by either being willing to do something that others are not able to do (making you absurdly valuable to many bidders), or by risking assets (credibility/repuation, capital) when others are not. You're effectively flipping the table so you are the landlord and by your presence, you add value and thus it is of benefit to them for you to work alone for them by their own metrics.

I often ask myself the question when interviewing people 'What would I think if this person works for my competitor?' It is usually the most profound and important question that people fail on. If I am indifferent because I think they either lack passion, conviction, energy or experience relevant to the position then it's always a no even if everyone else thinks they are 'okay' or 'good'. It's the same when an employer looks at remuneration 'Is it worth paying this person more to guarantee they don't waver?' with the caveat that peoples drive/energy and even commitment will drop after several years in the same role.
Too bad I don't have anything particularly unique to offer ^_^