Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
Yes, and that is why we should focus on the types -- not those faulty and misleading descriptions of the functions. (How many times have I said that by now? But no one is willing to listen anyway ... or they are to lazy to try to understand what it means ...)
This sort of reflects a question I once posted on socionics.com, but never got answered: how can it be that type descriptions in MBTI and Socionics are often very similar (e.g. ISTj and ISTJ), but the function description different? One of them must be wrong about the functions! If MBTI is wrong, how come no-one in MBTI ever noticed or cares to correct it? This has led me to speculate that functions (Ne, Si etc...) might be a load of crap, both in Socionics and MBTI, or that their workings are misunderstood in both systems. Perhaps Jung was wrong from the start!

Take, for example, the Personal Growth Page of the INFj on personalitypage.com. It states:

...Most of the weaker characteristics that are found in INFJs are due to their dominant function (Introverted iNtuition) overtaking their personality to the point that the other forces in their personality exist merely to serve the purposes of Introverted iNtuition. In such cases, an INFJ may show some or all of the following weaknesses in varying degrees...

It then goes on about how to properly use extraverted feeling in order to stay in balance.

Now why is this important? Basically, this site is attributing neurotic behavior in the INFj to incorrectly or not using Fe. It is either true, or it is very dangerous advice! In fact, I think the recommendations given on this page are better for INFps and INFPs!