Thread: Going to the Socionics Institute

Hybrid View

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just curious how legit the Socionics Institute is... wondering if it's weird, cult-like or a serious, well-recognized entity...

Let us know!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I'm just curious how legit the Socionics Institute is... wondering if it's weird, cult-like or a serious, well-recognized entity...
    I'm thinking it's just a collection of crackpots, like an Intelligent Design thinktank or something. An inactive poster named Jarno linked the website once, and it looked basically like a degree mill that self-publishes its own journals without any rigorous vetting of the researchers, any clear delineations of methodology, data reproducibility, or falsification. Pseudoscience gone rampant.
    Last edited by Capitalist Pig; 12-06-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    I'm thinking it's just a collection of crackpots, like an Intelligent Design thinktank or something. An inactive poster named Jarno linked the website once, and it looked basically like a degree mill that self-publishes it's own journals without any rigorous vetting of the researchers, any clear delineations of methodology, data reproducibility, or falsification. Pseudoscience gone rampant.
    Socionics is a legacy of samizdat so it's certainly academically not well established structurally either academically or as a consulting tool, unlike MBTI in the states. This was illegal censored research once upon a time. However, it's that very nature why this site exists and other individual still promote this topic and seek to advance it in other ways because well it could use a bit more rigorous vetting and analysis.

IMO the basis and reason to explain some diversity of personality in socionics is very valid philosophically, which is not the same as scientifically. As a product of information metabolism, differentiation of information within the psyche, and preference in these differentiated information elements, it is hard to deny these process occurring in every day life and activity.

As far as verification of this model, I know of at current at least 1 AI projects which uses a information differentiation model that divides information into conscious and unconscious as well as information into specialized tasks which roughly align with concepts such as sensing, logic(this one is obvious), ethics and intuition. Almost every single AI model has some differentiation of logic and ethics as this is the core difference between a AI and human emotion which is seen as a very important difference.

It's highly unlikely that simulation of human intelligence AI's will ever be built without a model of the conscious/unconscious, the ability to process sensory information, processing components which tackles logical and ethical components of everyday reality. Also the ability to comprehend complex non-dividable topics which defy both sense and reason which can be called intuition.

How to take a topic like socionics out of it's samizdat legacy is something that I am still interested in even if imo a good portion of socionic societies are crackpots.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Socionics is a legacy of samizdat so it's certainly academically not well established structurally either academically or as a consulting tool, unlike MBTI in the states. This was illegal censored research once upon a time. However, it's that very nature why this site exists and other individual still promote this topic and seek to advance it in other ways because well it could use a bit more rigorous vetting and analysis.

IMO the basis and reason to explain some diversity of personality in socionics is very valid philosophically, which is not the same as scientifically. As a product of information metabolism, differentiation of information within the psyche, and preference in these differentiated information elements, it is hard to deny these process occurring in every day life and activity.

As far as verification of this model, I know of at current at least 1 AI projects which uses a information differentiation model that divides information into conscious and unconscious as well as information into specialized tasks which roughly align with concepts such as sensing, logic(this one is obvious), ethics and intuition. Almost every single AI model has some differentiation of logic and ethics as this is the core difference between a AI and human emotion which is seen as a very important difference.

It's highly unlikely that simulation of human intelligence AI's will ever be built without a model of the conscious/unconscious, the ability to process sensory information, processing components which tackles logical and ethical components of everyday reality. Also the ability to comprehend complex non-dividable topics which defy both sense and reason which can be called intuition.

How to take a topic like socionics out of it's samizdat legacy is something that I am still interested in even if imo a good portion of socionic societies are crackpots.
    You make a very good point here on the integration of cognitive functions into everyday life. This will likely have to happen with the development of personalities related to artificial intelligence.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    I'm thinking it's just a collection of crackpots, like an Intelligent Design thinktank or something. An inactive poster named Jarno linked the website once, and it looked basically like a degree mill that self-publishes it's own journals without any rigorous vetting of the researchers, any clear delineations of methodology, data reproducibility, or falsification. Pseudoscience gone rampant.
    Yeah I figured...
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx