Hybrid View

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    The sources are in the links I provided: often, clicking on the graphs presents more data.
    Ok, I just want to go into more details about my objections for now. These dates are all AFTER the west found these places and introduced advanced weapons and started conflicts with them, in some cases. I do not have the precise knowledge of the events of each of these conflicts, but for the American Indians, I know that the violence was caused by the pressures of American expansionism, and I suspect any glut of chaos in tribes in the Americas from the time of discovery to about the 1920s were because of instability in their societies because of this.

The link did list sources but I am juggling whether I should go through with them or not. Could be that there's a different story. The above is just something to keep in mind.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Ok, I just want to go into more details about my objections for now. These dates are all AFTER the west found these places and introduced advanced weapons and started conflicts with them, in some cases. I do not have the precise knowledge of the events of each of these conflicts, but for the American Indians, I know that the violence was caused by the pressures of American expansionism, and I suspect any glut of chaos in tribes in the Americas from the time of discovery to about the 1920s were because of instability in their societies because of this.

The link did list sources but I am juggling whether I should go through with them or not. Could be that there's a different story. The above is just something to keep in mind.
    The scale & range of the violence in contemporary hunter-gatherer societies is similar to that observed in the archaeological record: There is no real reason to doubt they are a reliable reflection, especially considering that the archaeological record is more likely to underestimate than overestimate, albeit with some sites being known to be more reliable than others for various reasons.