Thread: Iso presents his existentialism (because I'm bored)

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Iso presents his existentialism. (because I'm bored)

Existence in itself may not have any "inherent value", Nor does it have any inherent purpose, but why does it matter? Is it really that horrible that existence within it's own percived value, is satisfactory enough, to continue it for it's own sake?

Why must there be some kind of outside variable (usally a deity of some kind), to justify life as significant. Further, wouldn't an unchangeable variable, actually limit purpose, as it will be affected consciously or not, by this outside variable?

Further, even for the sake of argument, that there is a deity, and it grants eternal life. How then nihilism invaildated? What is this deity accomplishing by it's own existence, and that of it's creations? If this deity is the inherent virtue of virtue, then wouldn't the existence of this deity be justified only by it's own virtue?
    The mode of goodness conditions one to happiness, passion conditions him to the fruits of action, and ignorance to madness.

Chapter 14, Verse 9.
    The Bhagavad Gita

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think having such an "outside variable" to justify our lives is weak, so I agree with you. If there is no way of proving the concept of existence, such justifications would ultimately be pointless, and I don't see how there could be any merit believing in such a property beyond practical necessity (because if it was obvious, everyone would take it for granted, if it was ultimately unprovable, even a divine being would see belief as unwise). Believing and obeying such a being against your better inclinations would make you do things you do not think to be wise, except for some equally unprovable higher purpose - there would be the danger of being manipulated by a nefarious divine being.

Practical and ethical necessity dictates (in a non-forceful manner) that you act as you best see fit - however, ideally, everybody would all follow my lead.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Objectivity is the outside perspective, without assumptions and value judgments. Existential problem is a problem of trying to find meaning and value of life objectively. To get a kind of answer the question is designed not to give.
    Biology of life carries an assumption of its own value. People's perception and consciousness not necessarily.
    3rd person objective perspective does not do that.
    Simple first person perspective on the world "I like this, don't like that" implies it but does not perceive it.
    What is required to remove motivation of existential and a lot of other kind unhelpful of queries is a feeling of "I am a person, and that is good". Self-centerdness/groundedness and self-contentment makes the perspective such that even minutia of life is meaningful - serves to facilitating existence of self.
    The perspective is 3rd person subjective which complicates subjective--objective divide, but oh well.
    Self-centerdness not in a bad way, since "person" is empty of specificity, so it can be buddhism certified.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Intrinsic values are relative. One action as good as another. Throw coffee on kids.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I hear a discussion on existentialism and the intrinsic value of life I simply remember my cat. She awaits for me in the morning and follows me through the house whenever I go and misses me when I'm no around.

And then realize that such discussions aren't from philosophers but from people whose life sucks.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    Intrinsic values are relative. One action as good as another. Throw coffee on kids.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    And then realize that such discussions aren't from philosophers but from people whose life sucks.
    Well, what do you expect from a degree that has no practical application whatsoever?

Philosophy as a field is nothing but people sitting around arguing - something liek the16types.info, so while they're not getting anywhere, they're also not doing anything.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i derive meaning and purpose in life from the fact that there are millions of people out there that are dumber and worse than me and passivity is to refuse to lend a counterbalance. i don't need to be great. just better.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    i derive meaning and purpose in life from the fact that there are millions of people out there that are dumber and worse than me and passivity is to refuse to lend a counterbalance. i don't need to be great. just better.