Thread: Member Questionnaire (TheEphemeral)

TIM
    478 Sp/Sx.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What type am I?

In MBTI I've tested as and identify with the description of the ENFP, but I do tend to have a strong affiliation with Intuition and Feeling of both attitudes according to most function-based tests. In the Enneagram I'm a 4w3 Self-Preservation, and I tend to identify with that description quite strongly, even as I doubt the validity of the Enneagram. Wrote a long answers version of this questionnaire, but I decided to rewrite this when I was tired and about to go sleep, so it's less wall-of-texty now.

Member Questionnaire, the less boring, short version...
    What is beauty? What is love?
    I am beauty, I am love. Lol. Beauty is basically an individual thing. We all know what love is, even if we can't describe it.

What are your most important values?
    Individualism and freedom.

Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
    Want to believe in an afterlife, but don't. I think that belief in the afterlife cheapens some peoples lives.

Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
    Power is the ability to completely autonomous. War can be just, usually isn't.

What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests?
    I adapt to what I know somebody likes talking about. Interests include people, psychology, philosophy, history, literature, motorcycling, the arts, socializing.

Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
    Focused on self-image as it's the best form of self-expression is. Not so much bodily health.

What do you think of daily chores?
    I don't. I do them though, like a robot.

Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
    For books... autobiographies, fiction (especially fantasy) and some non-fiction; mostly on specific topics like for example; Jung's Psychological Types. I don't have a specific film genre I like, and love watching movies other people have chosen for me.

What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
    Look in the long section for this. Basically betrayal and ideals can make me cry. But I don't like crying because it negatively effects others. Lots of things, and ideals, can make me smile.

Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
    When I'm with someone I like doing something I like, and there is nothing else nagging at the back of my head. That is when I know I'm where I should be doing what I should be doing.

What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
    Attention-seeking, show off, like to prod people to figure them out, deliberately crude sense of humour. My main dislike is self-esteem, I don't have much of it and seek compliments out in others.

What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
    Genuinely caring and interested in most people. Idealistic, even when it's easier not to be (could be a weakness). Good insight into people and their motives. Great at listening and giving advice. In what areas of your life would you like help?
    Work life, dotting I's and T's.

Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
    Being stuck inside without people, brooding too long is the cause. The reaction is to do something, anything, with somebody preferably.

What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?

I like most people who are individuals, aren't simply part of the crowd. Don't like people lacking in empathy. The traits I dislike are easier to pinpoint; two-faced snakes lacking in conviction, integrity and soul.

How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
    Sex is great. Romance is better. Typically go with my intuition when it comes to picking a partner, don't have a big yes and no list.

If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
    I'd raise my child to think for themselves and do whatever they believe in, even if society, or even if their parents, disagree. I would teach them that being true to themselves is the first step to being true to anything else.

A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
    If it's a strong belief it's usually a way to start debate. Can get aggressive when people attack friends, or friends attack friends. Most of my arguments come out as "xxxx... and this is why you're wrong" or "you're failing to see that...".

Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
    Most prevalent social problems come from a lack of empathy. As to people on the abstract I'm indifferent, humanity has done bad things. I'm a supporter of individuals.

How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
    I just know which people to befriend and which to keep as acquaintances; there are only a handful of people I don't want to talk too at all. How I behave around them depends partially on my mood and partially on what they need me to be (eg. psychologist, comedian, partner-in-crime).

How do you behave around strangers?
    Usually I'm wearing masks when in public, or at work. Still it depends on my mood, sometimes I'm just cold or indifferent.

​Member Questionnaire, the long boring version.

What is beauty? What is love?
    Beauty is something that can be found in almost anything or anyone, if you have the eye for it. I have many examples, but when I discover something I find beautiful, it feels like time grinds to a stop and for several moments, nothing else matters. People are beautiful, words are beautiful, ideas are beautiful. As I said; there's lots of beauty in the world if only you take the time to notice it. Now Love, that's a harder word for me to define. A dictionary definition would be something like "strong affection for a person or an idea", and that's on the right direction. Love is something that's hard to put into words, but we all know what the feeling is.

What are your most important values?
    Individualism and freedom are two things I value, and I can get very aggressive and confrontational if I perceive either are under attack; somebody else's or mine, it doesn't matter.

Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?
    Raised in a semi-religious household, but I'm not religious myself, and typically untrusting of people who hold strong religious beliefs. On the topic of spiritualism I'm split between what I hope for and what I believe is. I hope that there's an afterlife for good people, where I can go one day and see my friends and family who have died. But I don't believe in an afterlife, and I also feel that believing in the afterlife tends to cheapen the importance we place on life. Some people wrongly believe that suffering and hardship in this life will be rewarded in the next, and that is a reason to willingly suffer.

Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?
    Power is complete autonomy; the ability to be completely free, to be completely yourself and to be under the control of nobody. I find war and militaries to be interesting topics, and I'm a big fan of history - military and otherwise. I typically avoid violence unless I really need to be violent, and I think that wars are wrong unless they're fought for the right reasons. Realpolitik isn't the right reason for old men to send young men to their deaths.

What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?
    I'm the type of person that has a wide variety of interests and a good general knowledge. Absolutely love long conversations with all types of people, and when we begin talking I'll typically look for a topic we both have interest in order for me to start a connection. I'm capable of small talk but I don't really like doing it, preferring to skip forward to talking to people about their problems or their experiences, the stuff that matters, I'm very much a people person, and I'm interested in the lives of most individuals, but also their ideas and what makes them tick. I like literature, typically fictional books and fantasy, but I love to read autobiographies on people I find interesting. Motorcycling is the only sport I do. There is little that compares to the zen-like effect that riding on a motorcycle can have; when all you can feel is the vibrations of the engine underneath you and the wind roaring in your ears and eyes the world can seem very simple. I watch a lot of films and documentaries. I play video games, especially RPG and strategy games. Music is fuel for me and I listen to music for hours every day, especially if I'm doing boring chores. Socializing is a great past-time for me and I'm the type of person that will go out for a few drinks, even if I don't have much money saved up and I'm tired from working all day. "Why" is a silly question, why do I have these interests? Because that's what I'm interested in, that's who I am.

Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?
    Not at all, not an interesting topic for me and I typically only think about it when one of my fitness-freak friends is talking about it. I avoid doctors and hospitals like the plague, even after I had a motorcycle accident. While I'm not focused on my health, I'm rather focused on my personal appearance. It sounds very vain, but I pay a lot of attention to what I wear and how I appear today. It's all a part of my need to express myself to the world, and it does get on the nerves of some people.

What do you think of daily chores?
    Well I try not too, unless they're important to me, like showering, grooming and washing my clothes. But I do the chores that need doing, even if somebody else needs to push me a bit to get to it. I tolerate chores with music blasting into my ears, and it's about the only way I can do it.

Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.
    I read a lot of different authors, most recent examples being Dostoevsky, Hunter S. Thompson and Che Guevara. Don't really have a favourite author, but Crime and Punishment is probably one of my favourite books. A Song of Ice and Fire is a fantasy series I've recently reread. I watch films all the time and they tend to vary in genre a lot according to my mood and who I'm watching it with. I'll watch anything with someone I care about enough.

What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?
    Loss of loved ones, betrayal by a spouse and people who hold true to their beliefs under persecution. Self-sacrifice can pull at the heart-strings too. Getting me to smile is much easier, I don't like crying in front of people because I prefer to be the one that makes them smile. When people do good things I smile, especially if they're people not naturally inclined towards helping others. Good stories, memories, alcohol, cute girls, there is lots of things that make me feel like smiling. People have a tendency to make me smile. I'll typically show when I'm happy too, have a need to make people know how I feel. Why? Not this silly question again.

Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?
    When I'm with someone I like doing something I like, and there is nothing else nagging at the back of my head. That is when I know I'm where I should be doing what I should be doing.

What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?
    A few days a coworker criticized me for my need for attention, my need to put a show on and my need to be different from everybody else, simply for the sake of it. It's not the first time I've had that criticism either. People have told me I like to poke and prod them to figure them out. I also suffer a chronic fear of the mundane and repetitive. What I don't like about myself is that I'm very weak willed; when it comes to doing something I dislike I can't tolerate doing it for long or often. I have poor self-confidence and can only get confidence through the affection and encouragement from people around me.

What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?
    I have been complimented on my genuine like of people, I have a very diverse group of friends and a large number of associates. Good at understanding people's motivations and thoughts quickly. I'm a gregarious person and will always find something to talk about. What do I like about myself? I can be very strong-willed when it comes to something I believe in or if there is a friend in need. Combined with a general reckless, sometimes aggressive, demeanor and it means I get into trouble where less idealistic, more sane people wouldn't. But I wouldn't change that about me.

In what areas of your life would you like help?
    Mostly my work life. I have problems with monotonousness and structure. I wouldn't mind a soul mate to listen to me about my problems, and have them vent theirs on me.

Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.
    If I stick to myself too long I feel stuck in a rut; I can feel myself becoming too much a creature of habit and seclusion. My normal reaction is to run to somebody and do something, or to go somewhere and do something, usually with somebody. I do value my seclusion sometimes though, gives me a chance to brood over things that are going on in my life.

What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?
    I like most individuals. Spending enough time with somebody I tend to consider them individuals (instead of "part of the crowd"). I can see something admirable in most people, even ones I have trouble getting along with. I have trouble getting along with people lacking empathy and care for others. The traits I dislike are easier to pinpoint; two-faced snakes lacking in conviction, integrity and soul.

How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?
    As far as meaningless sensory experiences go, casual sex is great, but it does lose it's spark. I'm a romantic, always thinking about romance and I readily admire romantic gestures, even if they don't involve me. I'm adaptable when it comes to partners, I just look for that emotional connection and go with my inner feeling that tells me this person and I would go well together. That feeling has been wrong, but only rarely.

If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?
    I'd raise my child to think for themselves and do whatever they believe in, even if society, or even if their parents, disagree. I would teach them that being true to themselves is the first step to being true to anything else.

A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?
    Depends on how passionately I hold that belief. Usually I'm ready to aggressively confront somebody in an argument as to why they're wrong and I'm not. But the easiest way for a friend to make me get aggressive towards them is actually for them to attack another friend of mine, rather than an ideal. I actively encourage people to attack my beliefs, not only does it make them stronger but I can quite often bring them over to my side.

Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.
    Society and people are mostly scum; creators of death, destruction, violence, starvation, capitalism and popular music. Individuals interest me daily, and I see many people as individuals. A prevalent social problem would be the seemingly expanding lack of empathy. Common political discussions are all about meaningless arbitrary bullshit while people are forgetting that children are still growing up not knowing how to read and are going to sleep at night under bridges with no food in their stomach and barely a cover to keep them warm.

How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?
    If I see something I like in someone I stick with it, but usually they need to tolerate my ways and be interested in me for us to become friends. I'm a bit out there and have quite a bit of respect for people who have the guts to initiate conversation with me, especially if they're not naturally outgoing. Usually when I'm around friends I adapt to them and their interests, but sometimes I don't bother wearing masks with them and I just act how I feel, that's why they're friends, because we don't always need to pretend to each other.

How do you behave around strangers?
    Usually I just continue doing whatever I was doing, whatever mask I was or wasn't wearing at the time. I let them make the first move and adapt around that. I observe them and if I pick up on a way to connect, which I often do, then I usually form that connection. In groups I'm either the centre of attention, talking and laughing. Or quietly sitting back and observing people like an inspector with a magnifying glass, occasionally talking to a few people. I prefer laid back groups where the focus is on fun and entertainment, but as I said, I'm adaptable. I prefer small groups and one-on-one; much easier to connect with people that way. But larger groups of like-minded people do well also.
    Last edited by TheEphemeral; 02-11-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: TL;DR.