Quote Originally Posted by Expat
Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
What's it with these avatars? You mean, Herzy's not the guy in the picture? Rcmew always has a woman in his avatar, and Expat used to in his. Is that just the style these days with the way people do avatars on forums, generally? I'm a bit behind the times. :-)
I never thought that it was the most common style to use your own picture as avatar, in fact, in the forums I have seen so far that has been the exception rather than the rule. I think people have their own reasons for choosing avatars (which may be no real reason at all). I did have a Yulia Tymoshenko in my avatar but not for a second thinking that someone would think that was my picture.
Well I guess I have to point it out that it is NOT me in my avatar Even though we share something in common we also have some major differences. Anyways I agree it has been rare to see people using their own pic in their avatar. Perhaps about 5-10 people have been doing that. But then again jumping between male/female pics is kinda confusing to all new people I know it messed my head when I first arrived. You thought you knew who someone is then it turns out you didn't. Now I'm kinda used to it The latest phenomena is the nick changing which is harder to adapt to especially combined with avatar changes

Quote Originally Posted by Nessy
Have you ever read "The Managed Heart?" I've just read it and it's a quite stimulating stuff about such emotional "deceit" and our society.
I can't remember that I had. Perhaps I should then I think this depends on the society too. For example my country is small and has very unique cultural history and used to be quite free from this stuff. Now globalism and culture exchange has in very short time changed the culture a lot and I think you can call "managing hearts" a rule here too now. You just can't seem to survive unless you do it. Oh the good old days I miss you