Thread: Baseball Hitter's Eye

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Baseball Hitter's Eye

When a batter is watching a pitch and decides whether to swing or not, what functions do you think they're using? I would think that using Ne would be a disadvantage, because a person would see too many possibilities and not have time to react. Se probably is a good one to use.

I've heard that watching a pitch and hitting is a subconscious process, so what would that entail?

What types in particular, and with what functions, would be more inclined to having a better hitter's eye?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brain Types says that "hitter's eye" (space and time relations) is an ISTP trait (ISTP baseball players include Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Joe DiMaggio, George Brett, Pete Rose, Sandy Koufax, and Roger Clemens).
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I agree it's definitely a timing thing. What crossed my mind was that maybe Ni is somehow tied in. I've seen on this forum how some people have defined Ni as knowing the right time to do something (or maybe in this case, the right time to swing) and knowing how something will change over time. Do you think Ni plays any role in baseball?

Rocky, do you think ISTp players like DiMaggio or Clemmens (leading Si) would approach the game differently from someone like Derek Jeter who's an INFp with Ni as the leading function and how so?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve6
    Rocky, do you think ISTp players like DiMaggio or Clemmens (leading Si) would approach the game differently from someone like Derek Jeter who's an INFp with Ni as the leading function and how so?
    Definately, you can just watch them and notice it. For one thing, Clemens for example, is known in baseball as having a sort of mean streak while pitching, which some people think this is actually a good quality for him while competing. In my book that used Clemens as an example, it quoted something about him always seeming coiled like a spring and taking the game seriously when he's there... INFPs rarely do this...

... but getting back to hitting, I do think that Introverts are more likely to wait for pitches and watch them go by... especially IxxP Introverts...

INTPs in baseball are almost none existant.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.