Thread: cultural appropriation

Threaded View

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't necessarily agree with this personally btw so nobody criticize my posts too harshly like they are some narcissistic know-it-all, I'm talking out of my ass kinda but...

It's probably offensive because it's a form of mockery. Only the person of a particular culture/group really knows what it's like to be part of that group. Before those two boys killed Matthew Shepherd, they pretended (mocked) that they were gay. That looks like some all american chick that doesn't really know anything about native american culture and just using the headdresses for 'fashion' which can be considered shallow.

Now it's important to be objective with this. Obviously there's no Mary Sue-ing with any one minority or any one person. Nobody is a 'unicorn' that can paint themselves completely in victimology, while you are a minority in some aspects you are also always part of a majority as well. It would be just as offensive if a native american person mocked an asian person. That reminds me of when Rosie O'Donnel was like all 'ching chongy' on TV lmao.

I also really didn't know how to respond to 'don't sound like an anti-racism textbook.' I like you lungs but I think that's a cheap cop-out. I don't think we can talk about these issues rationally without being a little politically correct and unhumorless or whatever. It's hard to explain what I mean... but if you really want a serious reply then I obviously am going to have to sound a little corny & heartfelt or whatever.

Also everybody probably has a double standard or 'pet favorite group' with these issues. I don't like it when people mock mentally ill people (although I honestly lightened up about this recently when I discovered that yes, down syndrome people can be assholes just as anybody else!), my sister hates when people mock black people (because she's romantically attracted to them). So some people for whatever reason are going to care that native americans are being mocked, others won't care at all. Some people don't care if anybody is mocked really, and pat themselves on the back for being sooo hard-ass and politically incorrect.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 07-30-2013 at 02:56 AM.