Quote Originally Posted by sssonyyy View Post
Should LSEs just never be parents, or what? I had a tough time with all the issues mentioned by dinki and lemontrees. When I'm away from my parents though, I really do appreciate everything they've done, but it never reaches a point where I can just forgive all the insensitivity, the lack of attention given to me developing my own identity.

It seems like it should be obvious that LSE is making terrible mistakes that their children will not be able to forgive when they behave like that, and I like to think that I'd make a much better parent.

But what if my child is LSE? What if I'm not wealthy enough to afford that type of separation with your kids that is healthy, but expensive (daycare, summer camps, a lot of extra space in the house, etc..) and I have to raise that conflicting quadra kid for like 16 -17 years? Would that just be another disaster?
I understand what you mean. I've struggled with that too, and it's only now getting better (and, being me, they had to acquiesce a lot before I started forgiving, despite the fact that they've been reasonably healthy this past year and I've been fairly unhealthy, so the dynamic should be in the other direction.) But I'm grateful for the positive change. Also, I too really fear having an LIE kid; it would be terrible for both of us.

I don't think all LSE's are "bad parents." I think my LSE aunt (E3 sp/sx) has done a really admirable job for both her kids, trying to take care of everything in the family at once, pushing her children to "work hard" but also "discover their direction." She's like the best version you can have of the quintessential soccer mom lol. But her children are SLI and LSE, and that helps a lot. My SLI cousin (the older kid) is doing really well these days--he's really balanced, personable, hard-working, well-liked, and creatively productive. The dad is an (often inadvertently abrasive) ILE research scientist who basically just does his own thing or sometimes orders his wife around...