Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proof of God's Existence

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cogsci
    This website was obviously a joke. I echo Sycophant's words, as an INTp: you guys really fucking need to get out more.
    of course its a joke. however, it's interesting to look at it and see exactly where the flaws are in its reasoning.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cone

We were all probably not listening when they said that.

So I looked it up and found out that an irrational number is any number that cannot be written as a ratio. An irrational number is necessarily an infinitely repeating sequence of whole numbers, but it is not implied that, like I said before, it is the set of all permutations of the set of all permutations of n-length sequences, where n is 1 to infinity, which, as far as I can see, is the semi-formal definition of what you are trying to say.
    actually, as i think about it, you're right. that occurs to me only because something like .03003000300003000003.... is a classic definition of an irrational number but it will not contain every sequence.

i should have realized this. i retract everything i said about this idea; it's erroneous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone

We were all probably not listening when they said that. :lol:

So I looked it up and found out that an irrational number is any number that cannot be written as a ratio. An irrational number is necessarily an infinitely repeating sequence of whole numbers, but it is not implied that, like I said before, it is the set of all permutations of the set of all permutations of n-length sequences, where n is 1 to infinity, which, as far as I can see, is the semi-formal definition of what you are trying to say.
    actually, as i think about it, you're right. that occurs to me only because something like .03003000300003000003.... is a classic definition of an irrational number but it will not contain every sequence.

i should have realized this. i retract everything i said about this idea; it's erroneous.
    Ahh well, it was fun while it lasted. So once again, the sequence may or may not be in pi, but it seems likely unknowable unless there's some known way to determine if a finite sequence exists within pi, which seems unlikely to me, but as I've said, I always found math boring, so I may just not be aware of such a method.
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niveK
    Ahh well, it was fun while it lasted. So once again, the sequence may or may not be in pi, but it seems likely unknowable unless there's some known way to determine if a finite sequence exists within pi, which seems unlikely to me, but as I've said, I always found math boring, so I may just not be aware of such a method.
    i dont think thats possible unless you can actually find the sequence in question.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why no one ever talks about "phi" with same kind of fanaticism I find it more interesting than "pi" after seeing a documentary about it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should hear my math teacher from last term talking about phi.

why is phi less "prolific," as nivek eloquently put it? i have no idea.

as i was saying earlier, i don't see why pi, as an irrational number, is any more prolific than e or phi or (log base7 of 13) or 438^(8/41).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should hear my math teacher from last term talking about phi.

why is phi less "prolific," as nivek eloquently put it? i have no idea.

as i was saying earlier, i don't see why pi, as an irrational number, is any more prolific than e or phi or (log base7 of 13) or 438^(8/41).
    Practically everyone knows of pi from elementary geometry. At some point in the standard schooling of most countries, the children will have to learn how to find the circumference of a circle, and thus pi is introduced. Plus pi pops up even more as you deal with circles. You could say the radians system is based on it. I suppose prolific isn't really as good a term as "well-known." Pi is probably the first number to come to mind for most people when asked to think of an irrational number.

To be honest, I've never even heard of phi until now (or at least I don't recall having heard of it before).
    That faith makes blessed under certain circumstances, that blessedness does not make of a fixed idea a true idea, that faith moves no mountains but puts mountains where there are none: a quick walk through a madhouse enlightens one sufficiently about this. (A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Practically everyone knows of pi from elementary geometry. At some point in the standard schooling of most countries, the children will have to learn how to find the circumference of a circle, and thus pi is introduced. Plus pi pops up even more as you deal with circles. You could say the radians system is based on it. I suppose prolific isn't really as good a term as "well-known." Pi is probably the first number to come to mind for most people when asked to think of an irrational number.

To be honest, I've never even heard of phi until now (or at least I don't recall having heard of it before).

actually, if you asked people to name an irrational number, i have a feeling you'd get √2 more often than pi.

i understand that pi is relatively well known and has more applications than a number like 47^(4/3). but, in mathematical terms they should be considered similarly. pi merely has different properties than 47^(4/3). as of now, i doubt that anybody knows of any meaningful properties of the number 47^(4/3).

but would you consider the number 2 to be vastly different from the number 6523 (a prime)? i think the comparison is similar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually, if you asked people to name an irrational number, i have a feeling you'd get √2 more often than pi.

i understand that pi is relatively well known and has more applications than a number like 47^(4/3). but, in mathematical terms they should be considered similarly. pi merely has different properties than 47^(4/3). as of now, i doubt that anybody knows of any meaningful properties of the number 47^(4/3).

but would you consider the number 2 to be vastly different from the number 6523 (a prime)? i think the comparison is similar.
    Personally, I would think of pi first if asked that question, but of course, individual results may vary. I don't recall much mention of sqrt(2) in standard school math courses until like high school, and even so, there's little mention of it as an irrational number, mostly just its use in 45/45 right triangles.

But then, individual results may vary.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cogsci
    This website was obviously a joke. I echo Sycophant's words, as an INTp: you guys really fucking need to get out more.
    of course its a joke. however, it's interesting to look at it and see exactly where the flaws are in its reasoning.
    You're such an INTj it is sickening.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The problem I have with this theory is that it doesn't make sense that pi would be linked with the language and alphabet of english that isn't that old. Does this pi thing theory work with other languages such as greek, italian or french? If it doesn't, then that would be awfully strange, like God predicted english would be the major language in the world at this period.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    The problem I have with this theory is that it doesn't make sense that pi would be linked with the language and alphabet of english that isn't that old. Does this pi thing theory work with other languages such as greek, italian or french? If it doesn't, then that would be awfully strange, like God predicted english would be the major language in the world at this period.
    A supposedly all-knowing being that transcends time knows the language of the one destined to find his 'secret message" in pi. How is that strange? I'd think it more odd if such a being didn't write the message in a language that would get recognized.

This proof is wrong, but I wouldn't consider that a reason.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think cogsci said everything i wanted to say in this thread. thank you.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    i think cogsci said everything i wanted to say in this thread. thank you.
    :wink:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it is about time you join the phi community

This is a good place to start:
    http://www.goldennumber.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Well it is about time you join the phi community :)

This is a good place to start:
    http://www.goldennumber.net/
    Ahh, golden rectangle ratio. I am familiar with it. I just never knew it's "official" name.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12