Thread: self development within the socionics theory

Hybrid View

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Here is why I do not believe in 'self-development' and 'Self-esteem' and 'self-improvement.'

Self-development is the bias that there's something intrinsically wrong with the person that needs changing. It's a negative feedback loop however. You try to change something you don't like about yourself, only to have new things constantly show up as you live life. You start to realize you are not good enough, will never be good enough, and that you are developing yourself ironically because you are running away from an innate weakness. Something that needs 'developing' in the first place.

When will society just give up the Oprah bullshit and realize they don't need selfhelp they need HELP. Help from other people and there's no shame in that sometimes. You have to sometimes let * other people * develop you, let other people help you... or you turn into this narcissistic black hole vortex that is never satisfied. Wanting to work on yourself all the time you most definitely have to have the subconscious belief that there's something always wrong with you... and there just isn't.

I'm sorry if this is off topic. I just loathe that phrase. It's just so corny. Reminds me of when I was depressed and actually purchased an Esther Hicks book.

So you view self development as kind of brownian motion and not a gradient descent?