Hybrid View

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does a large, federated state like the U.S. find an equilibrium of scale? Any state for that matter? What information does it possibly have as to the demand for a certain scale? Elections? Threat of popular revolt? Expatriation?
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    How does a large, federated state like the U.S. find an equilibrium of scale? Any state for that matter? What information does it possibly have as to the demand for a certain scale? Elections? Threat of popular revolt? Expatriation?
    The goal can't be equilibrium, that's just stagnation. The goal of most civilizations is delaying collapse, which is a combination of many factors. Democracy is based in elections and political forces creating a system of checks and balances, however the purpose is still some kind of productivity/maintenance of life and experiencing the good and bad of life. IMO the US doesn't feel much urgency(nor is there really a need to) in it's collapse and those that do simply have a deer in headlights wait for the truck to hit them mentality, frankly, I think it will be many more years before that sense of urgency will be felt and before people will be willing to reform and/or revolt.

If there is a revolution within 100 years, it won't be pretty for the US or the rest of the world. There have been very few middle class revolutions, but it's possible in the US, and if there is a middle class revolution(more likely a counter-revolution) in the US it would likely be more like Franco's Spain, which may collapse into a new Republic. This might be the best case scenario for the US. Forming a Imperial state could be another option for the US but it'll probably be bad for everyone else.

Frankly, I don't see a solution for the US where regime change would result in a society which would satisfy a libertarian ideal.

I definitely think reform is possible but it will be due to a outside influence or outside conflict, the UK has been able to reform it's government without totally dismantling their society and I think the US have a similar opportunity to reform without dismantling.