Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I prefer the risk of not having a gun in my house and possibly being invaded over the risk of being shot by random people who happen to snap and run amok in the streets or at elementary schools. I remember sitting on a bus once when a guy just lost it and threatened everyone to shoot them. The thought that he very well might have a gun on him was terrifying. What is currently in place is obviously not working and needs to be addressed.

And I do not believe in all these conspiracy theories.
Forget the conspiracy theories.

Imagine that you lived in the time of the American Revolution. Would you want to own a gun then? Do you really have so much faith in the random people hired by our government that you believe they wouldn't exercise power over you in order to make their own lives better, if it was easy enough? Don't fool yourself. You have too much faith in people. Laws can change in the blink of an eye. Freedom is not something we were given like a present; it's something that was passed to us, something we have to uphold over the course of our lives and generations to come. Freedom is a living thing, and it can live for as long as human societies have to live, but only if we have respect for it, and nurture it with the fear of people we give power over ourselves to: their fear, of all of us, as one. We are their Gods; they work for us, providing us services, and they should be afraid that we will begin to resent not having other options; otherwise, why would they bother to do the work necessary to give us what we want? Because they are good and decent people?