Thread: Different Varities of Ethics and Other Functions?

Threaded View

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Be that as it may, the only times I ever see the topic of ethics come up is in the same context as these sorts of scenarios, where everything the writer assumes you'll need to know about the situation is written down in bold lettering and asks you "is this good or bad?" Naturally, I shy away from these loaded questions and just see it as an excuse for the author to pretend he's more righteous than the little internet dweeb who can actually pose an argument against his own.
    My comment can stand on its own but it was given in this case as a general-interest supplement to your own, not as an objection.

What you've pointed out is a good example of how frequently some individuals ignore the division of descriptive and prescriptive ethics. The sanctimonious person you've illustrated is little more than an egotist, though often times the same attitude is also symptomatic of moral realism, or moral reification, which again rests upon personal construal of "natural law" and/or belief arrived at via mystical revelation.