Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Types and reading

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read fiction and non-fiction. I like historical books, both fiction and non-fiction, and some science fiction, and hmm like family sagas with all sorts of family secrets and odd relationships, and current events, and memoirs, and like dystopian and/or post-apocolyptic stuff (but pref. not YA - don't like to read about teen love triangles), and humorous stuff like David Sedaris and that kind of thing, and really whatever looks like it might be interesting even if it isn't on my list. I don't generally like mysteries, don't like romance novels, don't like anything written in a formula, because I don't like knowing everything that is going to happen within three minutes of opening the book.

I basically read whatever I feel like reading and I reject the idea that people only read this or that based on type. It would probably be more useful to figure out what type a particular author was and people who like that person's books might have a compatible type. For instance, I hated the book Julie and Julia, and it was totally because I could not STAND the woman who wrote it. About herself. I got so annoyed by her that I just stopped reading it pretty early on. However, that subject would generally be really interesting to me. Just not if she's involved.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE here. I read any kind of adventure fantasy, though not in habit. Also I read a lot of how-to books... to learn things.

Recent books include:
    God's Demon
    Martian Chronicles (stupid fucking ending)
    Gold & Silver
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I basically read whatever I feel like reading and I reject the idea that people only read this or that based on type.
    Yeah, it's clearly hogwash. But, maybe, people of a given type may enjoy the writing style of their identical, for example.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Books I like:

- Freakonomics
    - The Emperor's New Mind
    - Time and Space
    - Time: A Traveller's Guide
    - The Einstein Factor
    - Three Roads to Quantum Gravity
    - A Brief History of Time
    - The Problems of Philosophy
    - Quantum Reality
    - etc...

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I read fiction and non-fiction. I like historical books, both fiction and non-fiction, and some science fiction, and hmm like family sagas with all sorts of family secrets and odd relationships, and current events, and memoirs, and like dystopian and/or post-apocolyptic stuff (but pref. not YA - don't like to read about teen love triangles), and humorous stuff like David Sedaris and that kind of thing, and really whatever looks like it might be interesting even if it isn't on my list. I don't generally like mysteries, don't like romance novels, don't like anything written in a formula, because I don't like knowing everything that is going to happen within three minutes of opening the book.

I basically read whatever I feel like reading and I reject the idea that people only read this or that based on type. It would probably be more useful to figure out what type a particular author was and people who like that person's books might have a compatible type. For instance, I hated the book Julie and Julia, and it was totally because I could not STAND the woman who wrote it. About herself. I got so annoyed by her that I just stopped reading it pretty early on. However, that subject would generally be really interesting to me. Just not if she's involved.
    Hi; I miss you
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HandiAce View Post
    As an Ne-ego, I read non-fiction, factual, how-to, scientific works. It feds my imagination since I don't need anyone to tell me what to imagine.
    Lol
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go through cycles of what types of books I'll read. And This past two years I got rid of a ton of books. I mean like a shed full! And still have plenty left to get rid of.

Nowadays, for fiction I like paranormal, urban fantasy, stone age, and historical romance. I detest narrative descriptions.

For nonfiction I have books about:
    Neuroscience
    The brain
    Personality theories
    Mental health
    Emotions
    Evolution and the mind
    Therapy theories

Physical health
    Back/hip health
    Tai chi
    Yoga (new)
    Feldenkais (new)
    Trigger point therapy (new)
    Anatomy trains (new)
    Fascial Health (new)
    Nutrition
    Hormones and Fat storage
    Functional fitness
    Etc

Tarot card readings
    Palmistry
    Hand writing analysis
    Cold reading
    Etc

Shelves of books on writing

Shelves of books on rpg/game design

Evolution from early primates to how humans developed
    Including early brain development
    And early tool creation

Gardening
    Sustainable living
    Forest gardens
    Permaculture design

I finally am getting rid of my books on crafts, sewing, crochet, knitting, weaving, spinning, etc that I had collected for my daughter's explorations.

I'm sure there's some I am forgetting.
    And I've still gotta decide which ones need to go. (Gotta narrow it down to keeping only 2-5 subjects. Argh!!)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As non-fiction:
    Typology
    Psychology
    Tarot
    Emotional intelligence/relationship quidance
    All kind of personal development actually
    History/sociology
    A bit of anthropology

As fiction :
    Fantasy
    Science fiction
    Metaphysical
    Sometimes thrillers (I enjoyed Stig Larsson before the overwhelming success)
    Historical romance
    Romance
    I am a very romantic person

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12