Hybrid View

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love The Prophet. It's one of the books I like to open up in rough times. I've only read Go Tell It On the Mountain by Baldwin. I don't remember anything about it. I just remember thinking it was weird, lol.

Right now I'm reading Les Misérables by Victor Hugo before the new film version comes out. It's the longest novel I've read at over 1,460 pages, but it's a very fast 1,460 pages. The last time I'd read it was in high school and it made a huge impact on me. Retreading it now though I realize a lot of it went over my head. Hugo's writing is dense, didactic, and devastating (alliteration!). It's a very modern novel for being exactly a century and a half old. Most of the didactic sections are still topical today. I was reading the chapters on Fantine on the Metro a few weeks ago. In many ways, she's the typical "abandoned woman" archetype that was so popular in the 19th century. But Hugo turns her into something completely different by the end. It's full of lines that hit you like a freight train out of nowhere. This was one of my favorite novels ten years ago. Reading it again has only made me appreciate it much more. If you want something dense that will stick with you, give it a shot. (Be sure to get the Signet Classics edition translated by McAfee and Fahnesrock. The newer translation by Julie Rose for Modern Library just doesn't have the same impact.)
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Right now I'm reading Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
    I AM STILL WORKING ON THIS BITCH! 300 pages to go. Life got in the way. The writing is so dense I have to work up the motivation to pick it up, but when I do I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i just started the metamorphosis tonight. maybe some short fiction will kickstart my reading habit back into gear.
    I found that a really unsatisfying read. But Kafka is generally like that. I guess that's the point, lol. I like Amerika -- it's about a guy who is banished by his family to America for his debauchery. Except Kafka's version of America is this bureaucratic acid trip.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I AM STILL WORKING ON THIS BITCH! 300 pages to go. Life got in the way. The writing is so dense I have to work up the motivation to pick it up, but when I do I love it.
    One of my absolute favorites after you're done i can recommend you war&piece by Tolstoi

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daft21 View Post
    One of my absolute favorites after you're done i can recommend you war&piece by Tolstoi
    I bought a copy several years ago but haven't touched it. I'll have to finally pick that up at some point.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daft21 View Post
    never heard of it!

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    never heard of it!
    ok...