What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    @Tallmo, what do you think of this short story?

http://vvikipedia.co/images/c/c7/Pou...Came_Early.pdf
    I tried reading a few paragraphs. But I can't really follow the text. There's something distracting in the style. I don't think I like it.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I tried reading a few paragraphs. But I can't really follow the text. There's something distracting in the style. I don't think I like it.
    Interesting. I think the guy who wrote the story was LIE.

Thanks for giving it a shot.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I think the guy who wrote the story was LIE.

Thanks for giving it a shot.
    I can imagine the text being written by a LIE / creative Ni type. The style felt a little too dynamic and intuitive for me, like how he seems to jump into things. Hard for me to keep my attention on it.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1604 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I can imagine the text being written by a LIE / creative Ni type. The style felt a little too dynamic and intuitive for me, like how he seems to jump into things. Hard for me to keep my attention on it.
    And for me, the pacing of that story was almost perfect. Lol.

Anderson wrote a lot of stuff and I've read a fraction of it, but like most authors, there are a few pieces he wrote that are more notable than others. For example, Roger Zelazny wrote the very popular "Amber" books (among others), and I had a hard time getting into them. I think he is EIE, and so is similar to me in some ways and dissimilar in others, but he wrote one of the best stories I have ever read, Itself Surprised (https://www.e-reading-lib.com/chapte...rker-base.html ). It was basically the story of me, going into my marriage. Zelazny was channeling my mind and my attitudes in his protagonist.

And isn't that why we read stories? To see the world explained by someone we can understand?
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-15-2020 at 08:17 PM.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And isn't that why we read stories? To see the world explained by someone we can understand?
    I haven't thought much about it but I'd say I read stories to broaden my experience of life. With a good book I can feel as if I was almost living it myself.

(Jung on Si)