Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking tricks and Tips

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

put a marshmallow or two in the brown sugar and it won't get too hard.

keep lettuce fresher longer by putting it in a container with a paper towel to soak up the excess moisture.

i just came across this, which is nifty but i doubt i'll ever actually use it since its not like i'll remember. (still..cool)

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read that if you put a marshmallow at the bottom of your ice cream cone, ice cream won't drip out. Haven't tried it though. .. And it's not exactly cooking lol.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm a big fan of knowledge that makes you cleaver and smarter...a run for your money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xVqwy_4pmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazP6zvJmiQ
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I'm a big fan of knowledge that makes you cleaver and smarter...a run for your money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xVqwy_4pmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazP6zvJmiQ
    Maritsa, is there a love button! lol We have 5 hens, so eggs are a staple in our house, I always have hard boiled ready for snacks. My toddlers have trouble eating the yolks, I am seriously going to try the scramble trick TODAY!

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like making my scrambled eggs in my cast iron skillet with a bit of buttermilk mixed in. I swear the buttermilk makes all the difference! Same concept as cream fraiche...

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macysmama View Post
    I like making my scrambled eggs in my cast iron skillet with a bit of buttermilk mixed in. I swear the buttermilk makes all the difference! Same concept as cream fraiche...
    yeah it's : love : together without the spaces

Eggs are so nutritious
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

What one calls passion and interest in a few things others call "obsession" tell those others to go jump in the deep end of the ocean that way you'll have a lot more time to develop your passions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    -

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    put a marshmallow or two in the brown sugar and it won't get too hard.

keep lettuce fresher longer by putting it in a container with a paper towel to soak up the excess moisture.

i just came across this, which is nifty but i doubt i'll ever actually use it since its not like i'll remember. (still..cool)

wrap the lettuce with the papertowel or simply the papertowel hanging out over the lettuce?

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    wrap the lettuce with the papertowel or simply the papertowel hanging out over the lettuce?
    i just fold a paper towel so its about the same width as the tupperware container and place it over top of the lettuce before putting the lid on.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've recently decided to try out some avocado oil and wow where has it been all my life. I've grown so used to olive oil that I've never even looked into alternatives.

It is very light in consistency and has a slightly nutty flavor. Much less obtrusive than the olive oil, such that I don't even notice that the oil is there only that the taste was enhanced. Goes great with salads and as a condiment for sandwiches.

This oil has a very high smoke point compared to other oils for high temp cooking, as well as lots of vitamin E so some even use it as a hand moisturizer. On the downside, it's not as cheap as olive oil.

oil comparison tables

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Put open bags of potato chips in the refrigerator to keep them from going soggy
    -

put the pasta into boiling water

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sevjenn View Post
    put the pasta into boiling water
    LOL you know you don't have to. Pasta that is started to cook in room temperature water is less likely to stick together but nice try
    -

LOL you know you don't have to. Pasta that is started to cook in room temperature water is less likely to stick together but nice try
    are you serious?? ??

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

These aren't "cooking" tips....!!!!!!!!

Put salt into pasta water to season it. This is tips!

When cooking steak, let it rest!!! tips!

Rice, there's so many ways to cook rice... but easy way to not mess it up is bring it to a boil, turn heat down to simmer and let sit 20 minutes... don't look at it and don't touch it... never mess up rice again..!!!

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask a friend who is a chef to cook for you for a favour in return.

Works every time.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sevjenn View Post
    are you serious?? ??
    yes. There's a link to a youtube video somewhere in this thread explaining how to do that
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add a splash of vinegar to your skillet when poaching eggs. The vinegar helps to keep the eggwhites together and prevent them from snaking off and spreading.

From a girl that doesnt even eat eggs !!!!!
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my cooking tip: Either Hire or Date someone to do it for you, if that fails, go to mcdonalds, it's much safer!

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrangea View Post
    Add a splash of vinegar to your skillet when poaching eggs. The vinegar helps to keep the eggwhites together and prevent them from snaking off and spreading.

From a girl that doesnt even eat eggs !!!!!
    Blasphemy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12