Thread: Enneagram Type 8 Faustian Bargain

Hybrid View

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I read something in the enneagram 8 personal growth that I'm curious to see if anyone can elaborate on it some more through personal experience, how to avoid it, etc.

What does this mean? I don't like the idea that people would like me only for my "power." I want to be very successful in life but I also seek close relationships.
    It means:

ENTITLEMENT / GRANDIOSITY

The belief that one is superior to other people; entitled to special rights and privileges; or not bound by the rules of reciprocity that guide normal social interaction. Often involves insistence that one should be able to do or have whatever one wants, regardless of what is realistic, what others consider reasonable, or the cost to others; OR an exaggerated focus on superiority (e.g., being among the most successful, famous, wealthy) -- in order to achieve power or control (not primarily for attention or approval). Sometimes includes excessive competitiveness toward, or domination of, others: asserting one's power, forcing one's point of view, or controlling the behavior of others in line with one's own desires---without empathy or concern for others' needs or feelings.

(http://www.schematherapy.com/id73.htm)

I'm not sure if this applies to you. Desire for success does not equal lust for power.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    It means:

ENTITLEMENT / GRANDIOSITY

The belief that one is superior to other people; entitled to special rights and privileges; or not bound by the rules of reciprocity that guide normal social interaction. Often involves insistence that one should be able to do or have whatever one wants, regardless of what is realistic, what others consider reasonable, or the cost to others; OR an exaggerated focus on superiority (e.g., being among the most successful, famous, wealthy) -- in order to achieve power or control (not primarily for attention or approval). Sometimes includes excessive competitiveness toward, or domination of, others: asserting one's power, forcing one's point of view, or controlling the behavior of others in line with one's own desires---without empathy or concern for others' needs or feelings.

(http://www.schematherapy.com/id73.htm)

I'm not sure if this applies to you. Desire for success does not equal lust for power.
    i disagree.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    i disagree.
    Impossible. You can not agree or disagree, since you don't know shit.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking