Quote Originally Posted by gambit View Post
Yeah, I mean, I don't doubt that our intelligence is malleable to an extent (that seems a given to me and how I tend to treat most people). I think/thought that's what neuroplasticity is referring to; I guess I'm not sure. The second article seems to suggest that the brain can make up for motor deficits; but I thought this was similar to how someone with no hands can end up learning how to use their feet better. They just figured out how to better use what they have. I know there are cases of people having parts of their brains removed only to find that the rest of the brain, over time, makes up for what was lost. But there are limits. And I only know of this happening in children. This adult man lost a frontal lobe or a good portion of the frontal lobes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
Well, here's the deal; we can use neuroplasticity to strengthen and create neural connections in parts of the brain that are healthy but unused. However, in victims of strokes, who suffered damage permanently and physically impaired one part of the brain, the damage itself is generally not reparable; what happens I believe is that the neural pathways reorganize themselves and use surrounding or adjacent networks to compensate and re-learn the use of a limb, or whatever the problem is. That's what many neuroplastic therapy programs are designed to do. No matter what happens, using feet or a previously impaired limb, the physical structure of the brain changed
Also, you talk of that potential constant factor that would keep us coming back to certain preordained connections. It is a possibility, and I am very curious too. Alack, I haven't a degree or a laboratory . And yeah, neuroscience is one more path to a dystopian hell. So are increasing surveillance technologies. Time is running out
Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
The functions don't work that way. They can't be localized to the IM processors alone, because other traits co-evolved with the type...
How do you figure? Only two principles are necessary to reach my dilemma; 1) functions exist and 2) they are correlated to the physical brain. If both of those things are true, how are they exempt from a physically changing brain? The review board would probably balk at socionics before the science, lol
Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
The opening post puts it as if plasticity somehow contradicts and apposes heredity when really it mostly works to reinforce the trends in balance between faculties set by heredity.
Care to explain? Again, none of us here are experts on the matter and are just speculating out of curiosity. If you can bring any explanation so ground breaking to the table, it would be much appreciated . I was pointing out that you can ignore trends and stop using/reinforce otherwise unused parts of the brain, e.g. an overcome drug addiction.
Quote Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
you guys need to go cut frogs open and leave the forum alone mkay
Why don't you come over here and I'll use my empathy to change the physical structure of your brain for you