Thread: Ni with love from Jung

Creepy-pokeball

Default Ni with love from Jung

"The Introverted Intuition Type
    Introverted intuition is directed inward to the contents of the unconscious. It attempts to fathom internal events by relating them to universal psychological processes or to other archetypal images. Consequently it generally has a mythical, symbolic or prophetic quality.

According to Jung, the introverted intuition type can be either an artist, seer or crank. Such a person has a visionary ideal that reveals strange, mysterious things. These are enigmatic, 'unearthly' people who stand aloof from ordinary society. They have little interest in explaining or rationalizing their personal vision, but are content merely to proclaim it. Partly as a result of this, they are often misunderstood. Although the vision of the artist among this type generally remains on the purely perceptual level, mystical dreamers or cranks may become caught up in theirs. The person's life then becomes symbolic, taking on the nature of a Great Work, mission or spiritual-moral quest. If neurotic, repressed sensation may express itself in primitive, instinctual ways and, like their extraverted counterparts, introverted intuitives often suffer from hypochondria and compulsions."

"
    The remarkable indifference of the extraverted intuitive in respect to outer objects is shared by the introverted intuitive in relation to the inner objects. Just as the extraverted intuitive is continually scenting out new [p. 507] possibilities, which he pursues with an equal unconcern both for his own welfare and for that of others, pressing on quite heedless of human considerations, tearing down what has only just been established in his everlasting search for change, so the introverted intuitive moves from image to image, chasing after every possibility in the teeming womb of the unconscious, without establishing any connection between the phenomenon and himself. Just as the world can never become a moral problem for the man who merely senses it, so the world of images is never a moral problem to the intuitive. To the one just as much as to the other, it is an ae[]sthenic problem, a question of perception, a 'sensation'. In this way, the consciousness of his own bodily existence fades from the introverted intuitive's view, as does its effect upon others. The extraverted standpoint would say of him: 'Reality has no existence for him; he gives himself up to fruitless phantasies'. A perception of the unconscious images, produced in such inexhaustible abundance by the creative energy of life, is of course fruitless from the standpoint of immediate utility. But, since these images represent possible ways of viewing life, which in given circumstances have the power to provide a new energic potential, this function, which to the outer world is the strangest of all, is as indispensable to the total psychic economy as is the corresponding human type to the psychic life of a people. Had this type not existed, there would have been no prophets in Israel.

Introverted intuition apprehends the images which arise from the a priori, i.e. the inherited foundations of the unconscious mind. These archetypes, whose innermost nature is inaccessible to experience, represent the precipitate of psychic functioning of the whole ancestral line, i.e. the heaped-up, or pooled, experiences of organic existence in general, a million times repeated, and condensed into types. Hence, in these archetypes all experiences are [p. 508] represented which since primeval time have happened on this planet. Their archetypal distinctness is the more marked, the more frequently and intensely they have been experienced. The archetype would be -- to borrow from Kant -- the noumenon of the image which intuition perceives and, in perceiving, creates.

Since the unconscious is not just something that lies there, like a psychic caput mortuum, but is something that coexists and experiences inner transformations which are inherently related to general events, introverted intuition, through its perception of inner processes, gives certain data which may possess supreme importance for the comprehension of general occurrences: it can even foresee new possibilities in more or less clear outline, as well as the event which later actually transpires. Its prophetic prevision is to be explained from its relation to the archetypes which represent the law-determined course of all experienceable things. "

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

*applauds*

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Jung had observed more INFps than INTps to write that.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I think Jung had observed more INFps than INTps to write that.
    And if Im not mistaken, more ENFjs than ENTjs. What do you think?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jung's version of Ni isn't necessarily the same as in Socionics.

But of course what he says is always very insightful. I like the way he defines introversion here...

without establishing any connection between the phenomenon and himself
    Another thing about this passage: He's considering extremes: 8 types of people who have a strong 1st function and weak everything else. Hence, his description of each type is going to be different from the description you'd get if you balanced the 1st function with the 2nd.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone please explain how something like this might manifest itself in the material world? I just don't quite "get it." I mean, it makes sense to me, and I can identify with it on a certain level, but I do not see how it might possibly equate with real-world behavior.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    Can someone please explain how something like this might manifest itself in the material world? I just don't quite "get it." I mean, it makes sense to me, and I can identify with it on a certain level, but I do not see how it might possibly equate with real-world behavior.
    I've got the same problem.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-pokeball

I'll help. Ni = Aliens.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    I'll help. Ni = Aliens.
    Does that mean I'm an Alien?
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Creepy-pokeball

Yes. See Futurama for survival guide.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Yes. See Futurama for survival guide.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eitws

Not too sure...if u find me, let me know!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew this guy from a lab I was working in a while ago who was Ni/Te and had Asperger's syndrome. He was extremely intelligent, but completely tactless and had a REALLY bad temper.
    The last lab job I had, there was a Ni/Fe who was certainly kinda 'different'. She also had a really bad temper, but an almost psychic ability at reading other people's behaviour. I'm sure she thought I was up to something when I was trying to type everyone.
    Most of the guys in this lab couldn't make sense of her, I know if I hadn't come across Jung, I wouldn't have either!
    For this kind of thinking facts are of secondary importance; what, apparently, is of absolutely paramount importance is the development and presentation of the subjective idea, that primordial symbolical image standing more or less darkly before the inner vision.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ni

I was reading and thought that is good and I thought it was all from Jadae. Then I realized it was Young.

Jonanthan wrote:

Another thing about this passage: He's considering extremes: 8 types of people who have a strong 1st function and weak everything else. Hence, his description of each type is going to be different from the description you'd get if you balanced the 1st function with the 2nd.

I would agree with Young here. I think he describes the function and how it express itself in all types in general terms. But of course there will be differences between those types due to the differences of other functions. INTP and INFP. According to model B we do not balance 1 and 2 fucntions because they are too different in the role they play: they are responsible for very different tasks. And they have got the heirarchy order. First fucntion will be always The Chief/Director and second The Executive. But what we balance is the dimensions within the blocks: Adult - child, Extraversion - Introversion and may be more.

John Lennon and his song "Imagine". " you may say I am a dreamer..."
    I heard that some socioninsts think he was INTP, but he also creates very world in his song. What type he was IYO?

May be day dreaming, escape in your world of thoughts/images, may be memories of events and phantasy of future events?
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/