Thread: Anti-smoking regulation and health fascism

Hybrid View

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

smoke pot instead and homoerotically blow it on my face like in that six feet under episode with David and Sarge. Woof.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think this thread is about trade-offs. Smoking gave my dad pleasure, and he did that even though he knew that he would probably die in his 60s. which he did.

playing mmorpgs gives me pleasure even though I know it causes near sightedness and exacerbates my social phobia since most people are assholes online just because they can be. But I like the feeling of winning and learning new spells and progressing in a fantasy environment and I'm wiling to accept that it causes me to be legally blind. I would seriously have perfect vision if I did less 'introverted activities' like reading/writing, watching netflix, but I like those things too much so that's how my eyes got adjusted.

my friend james (name changed) likes to cure his near sightedness and meditate even though it turns him to the most ANNOYING narcissist that can't emotionally connect with anybody. He can't get close to people romantically and it's very annoying. but him turning himself into this perfect person is just more important than him connecting with ppl.

so if I were to change my lifestyle/habits and how I live my life then I would have to like what I get more then what I don't get. but for me doing real world things is always a lose/lose so I don't participate. I really wish that I would have a real world experience that actually turned out positive but it seriously NEVER DOES. I'm not playing a victim that's just how it always goes. It's so annoying and I never belong. I'm just following my self-interests ala Ayn Rand and my self-interest always says to load up a video game. =/ Or watch another episode of star trek voyager which ima gonna do now. im sure the same is true of 'type a personalities' they cannot for the life of them see the point of writing a book or watching a bunch of tv shows or drawing or reading, they get energized by living in the WORLD DUDE. I will participate in your world again when it stops being so Te and annoying. Okay I love you buh-bye.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
    If I had to pull statistics out of my ass[...]
    But you don't have to. Please. She wasn't an argument as I said before. Think of her as a story feature releasing the tension, like BnD. We know that smoking kills already. Having constantly needed to be reminded of it makes me wanna light up.
    Staff, obviously.
    There are ways to legislate bar smoking so that the staff won't have to go to the smoking area. And that there is a non-smoking area. And so they used to do it if my memory serves me. I'm not really a hardliner here.
    Placebo effects swings that way too, but effects isn't that significant. Definitely won't kill anyone, smoking will.
    Have you heard about the case of this depressed patient going to ER for ODing with his depression pills. The treatment didn't help, his values were still off and no sign of dramatic improvement. They couldn't stabilize his condition in few days and then the doctor found out that he was part of the control group. He almost died but I guess his immune system was failing due to eating chalk since placebo doesn't kill anyone, right? He recovered after the doctors found out what he really took and told it to him.
    There are also studies about life being prolonged by a few years with a positive attitude. In a way telling people that they are dying with their habit & lifestyle can kill people.

Everyone knows the dangers and yet people use it. Why do they start it?

What is a point you are trying to make? That it is not your fault that you were stupid as a teenager?
    I'm not trying to make a point. Points are made with statements, that there is a question such as the sentence: Are you able to answerit?
    There is no one who benefit financially from anti-smoking campaign and legislation.
    So who funds them and the studies?

What?
    You want more social pressure against smoking in the form of educating the young about the dangers of the habit. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    A study released a year or three ago, which I can't seem to find, claimed that in the interest of reduced burdens on the medical and welfare systems, it is beneficial that tobacco consumers kill themselves prematurely through use of those carcinogenic products than it for them to live into old age where they would require more extensive attention and support for a longer period.
    So it's an improvement to maintenance relation and kills people faster? Can it even get better?

Who are statistically recorded to die of smoking? What is the definition of a smoker death?
    Last edited by Aquagraph; 03-16-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    me>> Augusta whore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With your smoke you burn us all away

TIM
    me>> Augusta whore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    So it's an improvement to maintenance relation and kills people faster? Can it even get better?

Who are statistically recorded to die of smoking? What is the definition of a smoker death?
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...ted_mortality/

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not trying to make a point. Points are made with statements, that there is a question such as the sentence: Are you able to answerit?
    Sorry, that is not my style of intellectual exchange. If you don't have an opinion I can criticizes or improve on I disengage.

You want more social pressure against smoking in the form of educating the young about the dangers of the habit. Am I right?
    I think social pressure is fine in Finland. Health education could be better. Education does not equal pressure.
    I also think you should stop flinging shit at academia, which you apparently know little about. Reminds me of anti-intellectualism in US.

TIM
    me>> Augusta whore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, that is not my style of intellectual exchange. If you don't have an opinion I can criticizes or improve on I disengage.

I think social pressure is fine in Finland. Health education could be better. Education does not equal pressure.
    I also think you should stop flinging shit at academia, which you apparently know little about. Reminds me of anti-intellectualism in US.
    hhahahaha

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You won't explicate your logical structures openly? This sounds anti-intellectuelism if anything.
    From what sources does this social pressure stem?
    Let's be civil as we can, shall we. Argumentum ad hominem in fallacious argumentation is not really 'academic'. Nor is the lack of explication.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You won't explicate your logical structures openly? This sounds anti-intellectuelism if anything.
    I have extensively explained my position and reasoning. You on the other hand throw some ideas around and expect other people to run with them doing your work for you and going along with your premises.

Argumentum ad hominem in fallacious argumentation is not really 'academic'.
    Unsupported questioning of integrity equals ad hominem attack. So you made an ad hominem attack on the significant portion of scientific community.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have extensively explained my position and reasoning.
    No, you have not.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Aquagraph
    Can you imagine a scenario where the cigarette companies are happy that they have the forbidden fruit you shouldn't use?
    You were unable to answer this and you started asking questions of what kind of a statement it is. It is still a question. Please try answering it if you want to "extensively explain your position and reasoning".

If you don't have an opinion I can criticizes or improve on I disengage.
    Why must I make a stance? Don't you give appreciation to skepticism?

Unsupported questioning of integrity equals ad hominem attack. So you made an ad hominem attack on the significant portion of scientific community.
    I made an argumentum ad hominem statement by asking too many questions? I have to support my questions or they themselves start to make statements of their own?

Did I bash the scientific community for the support of my statement and, if so, where did I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    In short, I'm pro anything that destroys their profits.
    I know what you mean.