Thread: Anti-smoking regulation and health fascism

Hybrid View

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loveeee living in a tobacco state. down here you can still smoke in bars (some, not all) and of course crappy timeless places like bowling alleys and waffle house. i onlY see cigarette advertisements inside gas stations and convenience stores though.

the finnish law sounds waY too extreme imo. who cares if smoking is unhealthY, so are most people's eating habits Yet its ok to advertise heart attack inducing fast food. let people die how they want to.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    loveeee living in a tobacco state. down here you can still smoke in bars (some, not all) and of course crappy timeless places like bowling alleys and waffle house.
    Jealous. There's no smoking in the bars in Colorado. Florida was different.

Although we do have things like "cigar bars," but last I heard they're trying to shut those down, even.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I kind of agree its extreme to have no smoking bars lol since that seems contary to why you go to a bar. I do think second hand smoke is bad for people who dont smoke though, yes, you go to a bar for self-destruction but only in ways which you choose to destroy your body. You can destroy your body, but I dont think you have a right to cause it on others who dont want it. But. I think second hand smoke is only a problem if you live with someone whos smokes, but if its only exposure to second smoke at a bar its pretty harmless anyways. Filled with smoke - thats how a bar should be anwyays, it seems kind of against the point of going into a bar to have your health freak habits maintained, lol.

I think we have a similar law here in Belgium, though Im not sure, but you dont see cigarrette brands adertised anywhere is grocery stores or anything. So I guess we have the same law. I dont know what I think about it.
    Last edited by Ave; 03-11-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    I kind of agree its extreme to have no smoking bars lol since that seems contary to why you go to a bar.
    The point is, if people refuse to go to a bar because they permit smoking, there is nothing stopping a bar owner from opening a bar that discourages the act, or at least designating a smoking patio for people who do want the choice. Most bars will allow smoking inside, however, to encourage more business. The economics of discrimination is interesting, and it applies to more than just smokers, but the market is more than capable of accommodating all classes inasmuch as the demand justifies the expense.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

translation: Smoking Is Deadly

as a life long non-smoker i think this is a barrel of laughs. i have mixed feelings about having the advantage of improved health over others relinquished, though.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
    It also doesn't have any kind of benefit.it.
    Are you a smoker or have you spesifically tried looking for evidence that smoking would have benefits? I bet neither, as your argument implies that smokers just do it for nothing but to evade withdrawal symptoms. If smoking was to be found healthy, it wouldn't be a story current healthmania machinery would want to share.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Are you a smoker or have you spesifically tried looking for evidence that smoking would have benefits?
    I don't have to. The relaxation is the only benefit ever mentioned by smokers. If there were any health benefits tobacco industry would shine light on them, and now there is nothing positive to find that could possibly outweigh proven negatives. It is also silly to imply that scientists would be biased against tobacco.
    Interesting how you only questioned my opinion, not provided anything against it. Addict, why don't you say that there is not only fear of withdrawal but an experience of satisfaction that motivates smoking? That is a fault in my statement, but it doesn't help you, does it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    loveeee living in a tobacco state. down here you can still smoke in bars (some, not all) and of course crappy timeless places like bowling alleys and waffle house. i onlY see cigarette advertisements inside gas stations and convenience stores though.

the finnish law sounds waY too extreme imo. who cares if smoking is unhealthY, so are most people's eating habits Yet its ok to advertise heart attack inducing fast food. let people die how they want to.
    I agree.. The only thing that bugs me is smoking indoors, i'm really not crazy about that just because its uncomfortable for me. Sorry if my people rained on your parade.
    asd