View Poll Results: Is nothing actually something?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alpha NT and No. - Absolute nothing is nothing.

4 13.33%
  • Alpha SF and No. - Absolute nothing is nothing.

0 0%
  • Alpha NT and Yes. - Absolute nothing is something.

2 6.67%
  • Alpha SF and Yes. - Absolute nothing is something.

1 3.33%
  • Beta NF and No. - Absolute nothing is nothing.

1 3.33%
  • Beta ST and No. - Absolute nothing is nothing.

0 0%
  • Beta NF and Yes. - Absolute nothing is something.

5 16.67%
  • Beta ST and Yes. - Absolute nothing is something.

0 0%
  • Gamma NT and No. - Absolute nothing is nothing.

4 13.33%
  • Gamma SF and No. - Absolute nothing is nothing.

0 0%
  • Gamma NT and Yes. - Absolute nothing is something.

5 16.67%
  • Gamma SF and Yes. - Absolute nothing is something.

0 0%
  • Delta NF and No. - Absolute nothing is nothing.

4 13.33%
  • Delta ST and No. - Absolute nothing is nothing.

0 0%
  • Delta NF and Yes. - Absolute nothing is something.

4 13.33%
  • Delta ST and Yes. - Absolute nothing is something.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is nothing actually something?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is nothing actually something?

So yesterday I was reading "If the blah blah blah blah blah blah then the question arises, 'Why is there something, rather than nothing?'" And I thought to myself, isn't the perfect void, a total absence of everything and anything, a sort of thing in itself? Now of course my thoughts on non-being are prejudiced by a personal experience of being, but as to whether there is a quality of "thing-ness" to absolute and infinite nothing, I say yes, yes there is. Opinions?

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing is a thing. Sort of ironic, but yeah.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a concept, 'nothing' can probably count as a thing in and of itself. But in the realm of so-called reality, outside of idle human brain musings, I don't recall there ever having been a documented case of 'nothing.' Maybe I'm missing the point though?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GemOfTroy View Post
    to refer to nothing it has to exist.
    Which is exactly why we cannot refer to nothing. We can always refer to its absence (which is quite easy and is exactly what all of us are doing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    As a concept, 'nothing' can probably count as a thing in and of itself.
    A concept can be called nothing, pass off as nothing, and no one would even notice because nothing's missing.
    Last edited by 717495; 01-22-2013 at 05:29 AM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've thought about this before and in my opinion I think nothing is actually something. So if one assumes that there was nothing at all before the big bang and something came after the explosion of nothing then it could possibly mean that nothing is actually something.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a thing itself, yes, but only because we conceptualize it as a thing, because there is no other way for us to comprehend it. In reality, without something to comprehend it, it is nothing.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its like the tree falling in the woods question. Does it make a sound? Well, it makes sound waves, so technically yes, but "sound" is a subjective thing, and it needs someone to hear it before there is any point in calling it sound, so no.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Its like the tree falling in the woods question. Does it make a sound? Well, it makes sound waves, so technically yes, but "sound" is a subjective thing, and it needs someone to hear it before there is any point in calling it sound, so no.
    Right, and thus we come to the point of how human experience plays a part in this question. Is what qualifies as "something" solely dependent on the human's ability to perceive it? If you look at it from the perspective being a human with an ultimate flawed means of perceiving things, then the answer would have to be yes because there would be no other way of understanding anything. But removed from the basic human condition I would have to say no: the universe is going to be what it's going to be regardless of what the tiny Earthlings will want to make of it.

This topic makes me really tired. Fuck you korp.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad's math teacher hung upside down from steam-pipes in the classroom ceiling to relieve pain from injuries sustained in WWII. This fellow also professed a firm belief that anything he was actively perceiving ceased to exist the moment his attention was removed elsewhere. Perhaps my dad learned algebra from Berkeley's God.

It is a thing itself, yes, but only because we conceptualize it as a thing, because there is no other way for us to comprehend it. In reality, without something to comprehend it, it is nothing.
    I don't think a reality of nothingness requires an observer qualifying its non-being for it to independently posses that nature. Whether someone has conceptualized it or not, in such a universal condition of non-being the fact that "nothing is" just Is.

Be careful not to conflate the objectivity of atmospheric pressure fluctuations with the subjectivity of their psychoacoustic apperception. If a tree has fallen on this planet it's also vibrated the earth and the air in its vicinity, and so those events have transpired regardless of a witness' availability to notice, interpret, and categorize them or their consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    semantic soup.
    Would you care for a bit of grated cheese or freshly milled pepper with that?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It must be something since it spawned an entire universe. Technically nothing doesn't exist, there is always something there, at least within the bounds of our universe.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I've thought about this before and in my opinion I think nothing is actually something. So if one assumes that there was nothing at all before the big bang and something came after the explosion of nothing then it could possibly mean that nothing is actually something.
    This doesn't implicate that existence and non-existence are the same thing, nor does it mean that there was once a time where something never existed at all. We could probably go into quantum physics and string theory energy bullshit that nobody on here actually understands to pose the argument that something was never nothing in the first place, and that its presence was/is simply transmuted into another form which we are unable to personally comprehend.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

semantic soup.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I cannot deny that there might be more to existence than the material, and so I cannot definitively equate Being with the supposed resultant appearance of the Big Bang's space-time, energy, and matter. Nor, I think, must being possess extension and duration to exist (though it's kind of brain-bender to imagine how, because even if those are illusionary byproducts created by the nature of our limited understanding of the world, they're still how we understand the world). Still, if we assume the truth of what you're saying then can't the nothingness prior to the appearance of physical reality be said to contain the possibility of eventual somethingness? If yes, as your answer suggests, then that inherent quality of latent somethingness enhances the thingness of nothing, at least in this case. We can go a step further and say that being can exist in the absence of its manifestations.

Right, and thus we come to the point of how human experience plays a part in this question. Is what qualifies as "something" solely dependent on the human's ability to perceive it? If you look at it from the perspective being a human with an ultimate flawed means of perceiving things, then the answer would have to be yes because there would be no other way of understanding anything. But removed from the basic human condition I would have to say no: the universe is going to be what it's going to be regardless of what the tiny Earthlings will want to make of it.

This topic makes me really tired. Fuck you korp.
    I like your distinction between "what is" and "what seems". So fuck you too.

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    It must be something since it spawned an entire universe. Technically nothing doesn't exist, there is always something there, at least within the bounds of our universe.
    Sure, but I'm thinking of a universe where there is no universe because nothing exists, not even the possibility of anything other than nothing.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

This doesn't implicate that existence and non-existence are the same thing, nor does it mean that there was once a time where something never existed at all. We could probably go into quantum physics and string theory energy bullshit that nobody on here actually understands to pose the argument that something was never nothing in the first place, and that its presence was/is simply transmuted into another form which we are unable to personally comprehend.
    Yeah, I just prefer to look at it as existence and non-existence being a team that together make the other possible. So basically my point is that nothing and something are just two different kinds of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    I cannot deny that there might be more to existence than the material, and so I cannot definitively equate Being with the supposed resultant appearance of the Big Bang's space-time, energy, and matter. Nor, I think, must being possess extension and duration to exist (though it's kind of brain-bender to imagine how, because even if those are illusionary byproducts created by the nature of our limited understanding of the world, they're still how we understand the world). Still, if we assume the truth of what you're saying then can't the nothingness prior to the appearance of physical reality be said to contain the possibility of eventual somethingness? If yes, as your answer suggests, then that inherent quality of latent somethingness enhances the thingness of nothing, at least in this case. We can go a step further and say that being can exist in the absence of its manifestations.
    I agree, it is possible that there was something before the big bang and not just nothing. If that's the case then all the big bang did was mix something and nothing into the big chaotic mess that is known as the universe or multiverse if there are a substantial amount of universes. So prior to the big bang, nothing and something were probably more distinct and divided. Also, nothing is something like that Alan Watts video posted by leckysupport suggests because the two need eachother to exist.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    662 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nothing is Everything.

A single person wishes and has the *desire* that they can acquire every perspective, but the best they can do is strengthen their own. Nothing is narcisissm - but everything is narcissistic.

We want everything (especially women - sorry couldn't resist the jibe there) but then when we do that we ironically end up with NOTHING.

"People who want the whole world end up being their own worst enemies" - Xena, Warrior Princess.

So brave, so wise.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're an Ne user, the answer to this question is yes.

<dog barking in the distance>

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mozart is dead.

Mozart never knew this moment in time would come.

Mozart never knew that you were playing his music.

Every single person who ever played his music will die.

Every single copy of his music will be destroyed by time.

Mozart is dead.

Mozart is dead.

Mozart is dead.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before the big bang there was nothing.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blah blah monist idealism blah blah blah Indian philosophy blah blah nirguṇa Brahman or "the impersonal Absolute Truth without any material qualities".

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being and non-being are united in becoming. - W.F. Hegel

in as far as the void possess some latent potential for turning into "something" it can be said to have a rudimentary form of something-ness to it.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing is the absence of something.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thing, is still a thing

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

I already made a post in here, but having read it again, it is quite vague and doesn't really answer the issue at hand.So here's attempt number two:

Existence is everything, and need not be explained or understood (and as far as I'm concerned, it may well be unable to be understood by beings such as man). That is all. The absence of something (which might be one definition of nothing) is nothing more than a human abstraction. Absence doesn't exist in reality, for reality is existence, and existence is everything.

In other words, the very reason this query exists is still because of the limitations of language. And the query itself is clearly nothing more than a semantics game. Look around at the responses in this thread.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    In other words, the very reason this query exists is still because of the limitations of language. And the query itself is clearly nothing more than a semantics game. Look around at the responses in this thread.
    That's because and that's why I put this question to the public.

He does have some good things to say, was good for me to hear in a hard time in life. He's a bit new-agey for my taste now, but he has some fresh voicing of Buddhist-derived concepts if you are into that stuff.
    I'm guessing he'd fit among those exploring "the perennial philosophy" so whatever hoodoo he's laying down is likely to share common currents with a great deal of my recent reading in Eastern philosophy and esoterica, which sometimes enjoin the reader to intuitively jump out his or her own asshole to address problems that are too internally condtradictory to be solved through logic without reinventing the whole world around them.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    That's because and that's why I put this question to the public.

I'm guessing he'd fit among those exploring "the perennial philosophy" so whatever hoodoo he's laying down is likely to share common currents with a great deal of my recent reading in Eastern philosophy and esoterica, which sometimes enjoin the reader to intuitively jump out his or her own asshole to address problems that are too internally condtradictory to be solved through logic without reinventing the whole world around them.
    <3 Huxley and yes, although he is a bit cheesier/less artful about it.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the absence of a thing, hence: no thing, surely?

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let's pretend to go beyond the absence of space which would be beyond existence. If we imagine an expanding universe we imagine an expanding space. If we imagine an expanding space we imagine the existence of time and since we cannot go beyond the speed of light we cannot go beyond existence. All we'd manage is distorting time and space. So is absolute nothing a thing? Well... that depends. Space is not within the confines of space. So the universe is not expanding into space. It is expanding on itself beneath nothingness or nonexistence. It can't be imagined because it's unfathomable to thought or experience. It is not a vacuum. It cannot go by any scientific laws. It cannot be experimented upon... but regarding it as an 'it' kind of makes it a hypothetical something so... existentially it is not a thing, but hypothetically we are defining it as something with the absence of all things.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    It is not a vacuum. It cannot go by any scientific laws. It cannot be experimented upon... but regarding it as an 'it' kind of makes it a hypothetical something so... existentially it is not a thing, but hypothetically we are defining it as something with the absence of all things.
    Bingo, it's not a thing at all and it can't be derived from laws of physics as well. It has been done and ended in a fail. For fucks sake, it's entropy.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    Ontological conditions are directly responsible for framing the nature of the experiential and speculative, so it is useful to understand them in both the personal and the cosmic sense.
    Agreed and I love the way you put this. Our personal ontology basically colors everything we experience.

And if the means can be found to achieve both at once then all the better. I am not familiar with Tolle but from reading his wiki-p list of influences it sounds like he speaks my language.
    He does have some good things to say, was good for me to hear in a hard time in life. He's a bit new-agey for my taste now, but he has some fresh voicing of Buddhist-derived concepts if you are into that stuff.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only linguistically. When you think about the concrete implications, it becomes inherently self-contradicting.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    It's the absence of a thing, hence: no thing, surely?
    Disagree

Only linguistically. When you think about the concrete implications, it becomes inherently self-contradicting.
    Also conceptually and theoretically. To refer to something it has to exist, to refer to nothing it has to exist. Even to infer the non-existence automatically gives life to the idea of existence. But yes agreed, it is incredibly contradictory.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also conceptually and theoretically.
    That's what I meant by linguistically: it only exists insofar as we refer to it or talk about, rather than having physical existence that truly embodies the term in its complete definition. There is not a "nothing" sitting out there somewhere; if it was, it would be nowhere, by definition, which means it wouldn't exist.

To refer to something it has to exist, to refer to nothing it has to exist.
    Are you a Christian? Because this statement smacks of Anselm and Descartes and their logically futile attempts at ontological rationale for the existence of God.

Even to infer the non-existence automatically gives life to the idea of existence. But yes agreed, it is incredibly contradictory.
    Yes, it gives it an existence as an idea; this is what I meant by "linguistically:" it only exists insofar as we attempt to communicate it conceptually. That does not mean that "a nothing" exists somewhere out there, because if it did, then it would be a thing, and, by definition, not a "nothing."

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you a Christian? Because this statement smacks of Anselm and Descartes and their logically futile attempts at ontological rationale for the existence of God.
    Aha, no. Though I see what you are doing there. Intuitively you may have walked into something else though, i suppose i am agnostic.. so i believe in a 'something' and not a 'nothing' there too. Hmm... I'm mulling this over now... may come back to this.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Null.

In some good news it is not possible to find nothing unless you go non-corporeal.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Null.

In some good news it is not possible to find nothing unless you go non-corporeal.
    And how exactly do you suppose you find nothing?

InvisibruJim

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And how exactly do you suppose you find nothing?
    Limbo - the non corpreal! I guess you could also take a vacuum and subject it to the inverse of all background radiation waveforms to find a corporeal true 'nothing' space.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limbo - the non corpreal! I guess you could also take a vacuum and subject it to the inverse of all background radiation waveforms to find a corporeal true 'nothing' space.
    I always thought of limbo as a transitory state... a time between but nevertheless still existing. If you created a vacuous state or place would it not still be surrounded by other things, giving it definition if by only that alone. If 'it' can be defined does it not auto receive 'something' status?

InvisibruJim

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thing is nothing. Nothing doesnt exist. Therefore, nothing is Nothing.

A horse is a horse is a horse.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The conception of nothing is different than pure nothingness. Pure nothingness does not exist by definition, but probably does exist in an undefined realm beyond any conscious awareness. The conscious awareness of nothing does exist as not being able to see yourself / be aware of yourself..

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    Read Eckhart Tolle's books The Power Of Now, and A New Earth. His books are pretty much about this concept.
    Yeah but he refers to it in a more...internal and self-relating spiritual context, whereas I think k0rpsy is speaking in a more ontological sense. There's no denying the two are linked but in this case there is an obvious distinction.

Under cerulean skies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast