TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxi View Post
    Which book should I start with?
    Basically anything from the Discworld series. The quality is pretty stable from one book to the other.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Creepy-Snaps

If I could only ever recommend one book, now or forever, I'd recommend "The Magic of Thinking Big" by David Schwartz. By far better than any book I had to read growing up for school, through college, etc. I know some people may think I'm gung-ho about success principles. But truly, if you want a better life, in whatever you do, want to be more successful, however you define success, I recommend that book. In particular, Chapters 2, 12, and 13 will push your mindset way ahead of your peers.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heart (Cuore) by Edmondo De Amicis

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-School-b...dp/1410103153/

The diary of this schoolboy portrays real life situations that trace a natural roadmap for character building, compassion, solidarity, courage, integrity. This all comes about as the best choice a person can make as soon as he/she realizes that, rich or poor, bright or dull we are of the same stuff. The essential brotherhood or all persons becomes the center choice of its characters. Also this wonderful story never depends on myths and religion to teach generous attitudes and integrity to youngsters. The book tells one, without any superfluous discourse, that ethics and morals are human choices that we do choose because they are obviously the harbingers of harmony between people and a source of lasting joy.
    This italian novel, written in the mid 19th century and dealing with the fictional diary of a boy during his third year at a school might seem a bit sentimental and moralizing to modern audiences. It reminds us of a time when literature saw as one of its missions to try to inculcate certain moral values on its readers, values that might seem old fashioned today. Like being a good citizen, loving your country, being nice to the less fortunate than you, working hard, studying hard, etc.
    I read a copy of this book long time ago, and it stayed in my memory forever since.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. My favorite book ever. Since high school I've read it at least once a year.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    If I could only ever recommend one book, now or forever, I'd recommend "The Magic of Thinking Big" by David Schwartz. By far better than any book I had to read growing up for school, through college, etc. I know some people may think I'm gung-ho about success principles. But truly, if you want a better life, in whatever you do, want to be more successful, however you define success, I recommend that book. In particular, Chapters 2, 12, and 13 will push your mindset way ahead of your peers.
    Posts like this are interesting because they show how different people nurture different values and priorities, and it reminds me to appreciate diversity, regardless of personal ideals.

In particular, Chapters 2, 12, and 13 will push your mindset way ahead of your peers.
    The way you think/talk about "getting ahead" of others is a bit distasteful to my liking.

And your general forum presence doesn't fit the ENFp sociotype at all. Maybe you're just pushing your mindset way ahead of us. Don't try too hard though.
    Last edited by Park; 02-20-2012 at 06:56 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
    The Winds of Light series by Sigmund Brouwer
    The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Dictionary by Webster

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hermann Hesse - Siddhartha
    Gabriel García Márquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude
    John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One of my favourite books of all times is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig.

Strongly agreed with recommendations of Hermann Hesse, Terry Pratchett, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Le Petit Prince).
    Other worthy time-spenders:

Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Berniere
    Some of O Henry's short stories. The Last Leaf is the most famous.
    Something by Dostoyevsky, The Gambler is short and sweet.
    Something by Stanislas Lem. Solaris is his most famous work. The Mask a good selections of short stories.
    Love in the Time of Cholera is also a good G. G. Marquez book.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    Something by Dostoyevsky
    The Idiot is a good one, and Notes from the Underground would provide a properly bracing kick in the nuts for Jinxi. I also recommend the Gogol collection, The Overcoat & Other Tales of Good and Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    Something by Stanislas Lem.
    Just scored his Futurological Congress as a light treat between reading the present heavy tome and the next.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstorm View Post
    <<<I really do not think Mountain Dew is an ENFp.>>>
    Then start a new thread if you wish, don't derail the topic on this one.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhhh PLEASE this is NOT literature, SIGH.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit