Thread: IEIs-INFps what's your 5 year plan?

Hybrid View

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    Why high strung?
    I don't know, people who plan their every minute and stick to their plan like octopi usually appear uptight to me. Like tense or worried for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    I don't mean I won't do it, or that I'll bitch at them for wrecking my day - it just means I have to stop and recalculate.
    So from your own POV, are you stingy with your time, or just dislike unpredictability?
    Last edited by Park; 01-27-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant stingy more in a sense that maybe you like having absolute control over how you spend your time, and prefer to not be open to (random) incoming requests. But I see what you're saying.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my IEE dad used to do this shit to me in high school -- 'get a piece of paper, write where you want to be in 5 years,' blah blah. it was always just so sterilizing. I couldn't plan the next five minutes of my life if I wanted to, and it's already enough of a hassle syncing my emotional states with a work schedule. all that matters is having fun with my sega genesis echo chamber, as I can feel where it's all heading anyway. oh and joy, quit pretending to 'relate' to IEIs.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning on just progressing through computer certifications until I can survive

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't have a five year plan but a vague outline of things to do yes.

I'm told I live very day to day. But things in progress can be altered, while the past can't be changed and the future needs only course adjustements now not a straightjacket. And for the sake of argument, what if something more interesting comes up? Extrication would suck.

I do the planning errands thing too insofar as I arrange what order I do them for maximum convenience.

PS: When I say vague I mean "I wanna do this kind/category of thing and end up here-ish, mostly kinda but maybe maybe."
    Last edited by GuavaDrunk; 01-30-2012 at 11:21 PM.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent question, madame!

This summer I'm going to get an internship doing TV with a group that will also set me up with a series of interviews which will probably lead to my first job. This sets up two divergent paths, which are the two most likely outcomes of my post-collegiate young adult years:

1) Get a job doing TV, work my way up to producer, go freelance. Begin to integrate performing back into my life after making a lot of contacts. Possibly go to grad school (probably a poetry MFA, but small chance an acting and/or English degree) in a remote location and work in news in a small market (ideally Austin, Texas, which is a short enough distance from my hometown that I can occasionally drive up and work there, but far enough that I can't possibly live with my parents).

2) Get a job singing either on tour or on a cruise ship (i.e., expenses paid, so I can save up money). Work on the ship for six months to a year, depending on how well I like it. With nest egg saved up, apply to grad school. Still work part-time at the local news station, but more options for how I spend my time with the nest egg from the ship saved up. Before, during, or after grad school, use nest egg to finance a shot at a career performing full-time. (Although I'd miss TV work and would maybe still pursue that on a freelance/part-time basis).

So I have two pretty clear options for right after graduation. I'm confident that I'm a good enough singer to perform as well as your average cruise ship production singer, but of course it all comes down to what they need at the moment (and I need to start working out so I can be hot. Hot guys have a much higher chance of a) getting hired, and b) getting laid, which are both very important). I'm more confident about getting a job in TV. And of course, if for whatever reason neither works out, I can go home and work for my parents full-time, and then try again next audition season. If I had to go home, I'd perform there as much as I possibly could, maybe meet a pianist (or improve my own playing) and try to get a.

Going longer-term, the big question is grad school. I'm almost 100% positive that I'm going to go to grad school for something, but I'm not sure what. The likeliest option right now is a poetry writing mfa program (which also produces the additional stream of income of teaching poetry workshops), but other options include portfolio school (to become an advertising copywriter), acting mfa, ph.d in English, and (if I can get a grant for it) MA at the University of Chicago (or another good MA program, but UChicago is far and away my top choice).

I know ultimately what my goal is: to stitch together a living out of four or five jobs, requiring me to make extensive contacts in a lot of areas, and run in a lot of different circles. I know that at first I'll probably have to pick a career path and get established in it (probably producing TV but possibly performing), and then I can branch out from there. Ultimately, I want my life to look a little like some of my professors: teaching a little, writing a little, performing a little on the side, and getting grants basically to sit around and be smart.

Oh, and of course my biggest professional goal BY FAR is to be interviewed on NPR. About anything.

I like it when people ask about my future plans, it gives me a chance to talk them through---and of course, they change every time I do so. But that way at least I can have it updated in my own head, lol. I guess my five year plan isn't a standard five year plan in that it is really just a mish-mash of fairly clear plans for the immediate future that get less and less clear and more and more uncertain as you go forward in time. But honestly I think that's how it should be. You should be able to see a little ways into the fog, but much further than that and there'd be no fun, and besides, you wouldn't feel like you're changing anything.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of future planning. Always have, probably always will. I don't necessarily ever have extremely detailed plans (does anyone really?) but I have an overarching vision or goal of where I SHOULD be in 5, 10, whatever many years. It's just that the road there may have twists and turns and not go according to what I think at the moment.

So where do I want to be in 5 years? I'm 22 so in 5 years I will be 27.

I want to be married. I want to be living with a significant other or friends in a condo in some moderately large city. I will have (or almost have) at least my Master's in Clinical or Counselling psychology. Maybe Industrial/Organizational. I will not be living in Toronto. I will have travelled to at least 3 different places in the world to get some travelling out of my system. I will have a pet dog.

I. Sound. Robotic.

After reading this thread.. yeah I'm not an IEI. I was actually questioning it a little bit lately.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby's five-year plan:

1.) Learn to be more flexible, especially in the face of failure. Most of my problems occur from concretizing before life is through teaching me my lesson. Meet life as water meets the ravine.

2.) Stop picking at my old wounds and allow them to assume the nobility of scars.

3.) Talk to old people. Gain perspective.

4.) Talk to children. Vow never to have any.

5.) Help someone worse off than me at least a few times a month. Unlearn the art of self-pity which I honed in adolescence.

6.) Don't get fat.

7.) Cultivate compassion and forgiveness for self and others. I'll likely need these at some point, and they will immunize me against senility in old age.

8.) Stay in touch with old friends from now on. I've lost so many as it is. Learn what is worth keeping around, and who.

9.) Save a dog from the pound. Care for it.

10.) Build or at least procure up the funds to construct a minihome. Live in it.

11.) Travel to different places carrying only what will fit in one small bag. Learn to improvise.

12.) Worry less. I spent nearly a decade being anxious and nothing has come of it. I'm still here.

13.) Write a story about elves. They will be the next big thing after wizards and vampires.

14.) Make music every day.

15.) Wear the color red more.
    Last edited by Animal; 02-10-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    Baby's five-year plan:
    ...[]...
    10.) Build or at least procure up the funds to construct a minihome. Live in it.
    let me know how this goes. Those are bigger than the one's I was daydreaming about, but seem to be a nice size for actually living in.

(i also liked how you structured the simplest actions leading to each goal. It's something like what I've been working on.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp