Thread: twilight vs harry potter

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default twilight vs. harry potter

So I'm reading this facebook conversation about everybody ripping on twilight and kissing harry potter's ass, and I feel like defending twilight. I guess I have a natural instinct to stick up for the underdog no matter what it is lol. *sigh*

Harry Potter is just as stupid as Twilight to me. The characters aren't very interesting at all, they are hugely cliched and stereotypical. J.K Rowling knows how to please a crowd, but she isn't particularly creative or poetic at all.

Bella vs. Hermione:

So there's two camps of people. People who want women to fawn over guys and be in love and be okay with that, and people who want women to always be tough and go their own way. I don't understand why we can't take a 'happy medium' approach with this. Sometimes people want to connect with others and be coddled by them, sometimes they want to say 'fuck off' and fight everything and hate the world. Sometimes they just prefer to keep people at a distance, and want to figure things out logically and rationally. Who are you to say what is right for each and every woman?

somebody wants to be in a relationship and you say they are 'being codependent.' somebody wants to be really headstrong and look after themselves and help the world objectively -- you say they are being a heartless bitch. The ladies just can't win can they?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Harry Potter books > Twilight Books

Harry Potter movies < Twilight movies
    Really? Did you see the last Potter movie?

J.K Rowling knows how to please a crowd, but she isn't particularly creative or poetic at all.
    I think she is hugely creative...all the details and character developments in HP are so amazing.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll say that I think the twilight series (never read the books, only been dragged to the movies) has bella, whom I think is pretty worthless and uninteresting (word to the wise, I happen to think Kristen Stewart is a HORRIBLE actress), and I think Emma Watson is far more intriguing as an individual and performer, but I actually do kind of see the point you're making, bnd. Not really a huge fan of either series though, tbh.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BubblesAndSpikes View Post
    , and people who want women to always be tough and go their own way.
    But Hermione is not always tough. She starts out as a smart nerdy outcast, she develops crushes and dates, she is a loyal friend, she can be annoying, etc. I don't really see her as "tough" at all.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Creepy-female

Creepy-female

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I...agree with that completely except the third one. I don't know who half those people are?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Wow Kristen Stewart's expression really does capture all those emotions. Emma Watson is clearly "over-doing" it to were it seems fake. Gotta love ma duals.

Creepy-female

Lol truck there is so much media about this. Someone just posted this on facebook..

My response which was deleted so I'm gonna post it here:

I can see the point the picture makes but imo it's not a very good one because not everyone has the same preferences when it comes to love and to judge it superficially is wrong. Love is fuckin hard to find, excuse my french. So why make it harder by making it black and white. As if you have to put someone down when there are so many different ways of being in this world. I have made fun of Twilight for its comedic value but if the love story is appealing to some people why the hate. Why does it have to be Harry Potter against Twilight, Hermione against Bella. Why is Bella criticized/made to feel inadequate for a perfectly legitimate reaction to a broken heart!? No, she didn't save the world on her time off. Jeez louise. When I broke up with my ex I cried for months, because guess what, sometimes LOVE HURTS. Hermione isn't even the protagonist of Harry Potter and the main subject of the books isn't Ron and Hermione's Love Story, it's Harry Saves The World. Bella, on the other hand, IS the protagonist of Twilight and Twilight IS a LOVE STORY. Heaven forbid. I remember when people were saying Harry Potter taught children to join the Occult and brew potions in their backyard. Get it together people.
    Last edited by female; 12-14-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Creepy-female

But more importantly, Neville Longbottom became hot!

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would win against Tire?

Twilight or Harry Potter?

Creepy-female

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default movie comparison, sort of

I really liked the last Twilight movie. It was the one Twilight movie I really wanted to see in theater because of the gross vampire pregnancy that is one of the things I like in the Twilight series, mainly because it can't be so flowery and idealistic of a teen romance when Bella has the vampire fetus that is gradually killing her in the most painful way, and then ends up actually drinking blood herself. I thought this was such a relief because it doesn't shy away from the ugly side of things (and this makes things feel more real to me). I thought the movie didn't shy away from it either as Bella looked sickly and emaciated and I felt elated with every passing disgusting scene (which is strange since I really hate gore in movies, but probably it isn't strange because this doesn't really qualify as gore). I also found it amusing when the teenage girls I was sitting next to made sounds of revulsion at the gross pregnancy scenes and seemed as though they no longer wished to watch... which provided another sense of elation since before this I had to hear them telling each other how pretty the wedding was and gah-ing over everything and I don't know why, but I felt strangely disgusted by that. Anyway I really thought this was the best Twilight movie--I don't really like the other ones, but I like this one. (And actually, I wonder if Stephenie Meyer being a producer in this movie has anything to do with its better quality.) This movie was also one where I could better buy the relationships, maybe... so if I just watch this one and pretend I never saw its predecessors, then it feels like Bella and Edward actually have a sort of relationship... because when I watched the first movie I was like, okay, so now they're suddenly "In Love" and I don't get it. Also this last movie I thought portrayed the Bella/Jacob relationship fairly well (and that relationship has always seemed more real to me anyway, I suppose).

I don't like most of the Harry Potter movies either, unfortunately. I thought they paled next to the books and when it comes down to it, I'd rather read the books. But the last Harry Potter movie was better I think... but were the Snape scene removed, would I say that? I'm not sure. I've been really "displeased" with the Harry Potter movies in general.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm going to print this out for my classroom.

But more importantly, Neville Longbottom became hot!

[hot pictures]
    Truthiness!
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

not fully certain of my sociotype
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OBVIOUSLY TWILIGHT, OP

TIM
    EII/SLI- HN
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    So I'm reading this facebook conversation about everybody ripping on twilight and kissing harry potter's ass, and I feel like defending twilight. I guess I have a natural instinct to stick up for the underdog no matter what it is lol. *sigh*

Harry Potter is just as stupid as Twilight to me. The characters aren't very interesting at all, they are hugely cliched and stereotypical. J.K Rowling knows how to please a crowd, but she isn't particularly creative or poetic at all.

Bella vs. Hermione:

So there's two camps of people. People who want women to fawn over guys and be in love and be okay with that, and people who want women to always be tough and go their own way. I don't understand why we can't take a 'happy medium' approach with this. Sometimes people want to connect with others and be coddled by them, sometimes they want to say 'fuck off' and fight everything and hate the world. Sometimes they just prefer to keep people at a distance, and want to figure things out logically and rationally. Who are you to say what is right for each and every woman?

somebody wants to be in a relationship and you say they are 'being codependent.' somebody wants to be really headstrong and look after themselves and help the world objectively -- you say they are being a heartless bitch. The ladies just can't win can they?
    I guess from what I know about Twilight and Harry Potter, Harry Potter appeals to me more from a world building or even a plot perspective, while Twilight has some elements (maybe romantic) that I might be into. My preferences on these are a little based on what others have said about their plots, so I usually tend to think that I'm into Harry Potter over Twilight. Having read neither set of books, I guess I ultimately don't know.

I guess I'm also in favor of the happy medium approach. An ideal story for me might be one where there's some relationship stuff, and some fighting stuff. Ideally, maybe there'd even be some fighting that has some relationship stuff involved.
    Last edited by Clarke; 11-07-2022 at 11:54 PM.

TIM
    EII/SLI- HN
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wynch View Post
    I think I'm going to print this out for my classroom.

Truthiness!
    Hermione was always a cool character.

not fully certain of my sociotype
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Clarke but Bella is cooler!
    in my opinion..

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to read Twilight because FOMO, but it wasn’t for me. Wasn’t a fan of the movie either.

Harry Potter on the other hand…I was a major Harry Potter nerd growing up. The movies were less impressive than the books imo.

HP >>>> anything >>>>>> Twilight

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on the "Twilight is bad fiction and Stephanie Meyer is terrible" train when I was in high-school, like basically every other guy and 'not-like-other-girls' girls.
    There was a lot of hubbub about how harmful the books were for young women, and that it could give them the wrong ideas about relationships, etc.

Now, though, it's very easy to see that I, like everyone else, got swept up in a cascade of hating things I didn't like and didn't understand. The books aren't good, mind, you, but really, when has schlocky media ever been a reason to not enjoy it? Sometimes the shlocky-ness of it is the reason to enjoy it.

Ironically, Harry Potter as a series has had a fairly thorough dressing-down as time's gone by, not even taking into account their author's controversies. I enjoyed the series a lot when I was young, of course, and I have some long-standing attachment to it because of that, but if people can hate on Twilight way back when for silly reasons, HP can surely be critiqued now for entirely valid ones.

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like both, though I've never read the harry potter books. I haven't found enough motivation to. I was a super huge twilight fan as a teen. Back then I didn't even know people hated it so much.

Imagine my surprise when I got older. Also the jokes about "still a better love story than twilight" *yawn*

I'm pretty sure there are much worse movies or whatever out there than twilight but you don't see people feeling the need to bring up how they hate it every five seconds. It's gotten old a long time ago.

This thread is old
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I like being a hipster, Harry Potter promotes doing well in school and making friends while also taking care of business independently since you can't always rely on people, while Twilight promotes cutting yourself and treating life as if it's not important because what happens after you die and become a vampire or werewolf matters more and thinking you need a person to be your savior. Harry Potter is probably overrated by a certain crowd, but that's not mutually exclusive with it being better than Twilight. Twilight is basically Mormon apologetics in a way and the love interest is probably Jesus saving you so you can be a god and get your own planet (as a vampire or werewolf,) while Harry Potter is more Anglican, about how you should be like Jesus yourself and try to emulate Him. Notice the part where Harry Potter literally dies and comes back to life. Harry Potter has a huge romance theme too, what with all the date rape love potions and Voldemort being evil because he was born from one.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both can be appreciated for what they are. I liked reading Twilight even if it was cheesy... Same goes for HP. It was just another world to slip into as a kid.

Some aspects are cringy looking back (like Edward watching Bella sleep... Gives me the heebie-jeebies. Epitome of romance amirite )

I think HP had the better execution and in depth world building you'd expect in a fantasy story line. Twilight had better drama and spice and I would say I really liked how Stephanie handled the whole vampire baby ordeal. I can see how her views on abortion slipped through into her writing, but she ultimately gave us a pro-choice stance which is always nice.

At the end of the day they're both good in my book but nothing beats fanfiction