Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diet vs Exercise?

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    It is far easier psychologically to eat less than to do the amount of exercise that would be required to burn off a certain amount of food. There seems to be a general maxim based on research that losing weight should be 70% diet, 30% exercise, although I do not personally know if there is genuine truth in this.
    It's just lazy researchers who don't want to exercise, obviously.

But seriously, I get tired of conversations like this. The word health literally means wholeness. Live well and you'll be well. Trying to tweak one thing at a time randomly just causes issues in other areas, like the whole "orthorexia nervosa" thing for people who panic about the quality of their food, then wreck their body through anxiety anyways. I said if you exercise more, that makes it easier to judge whether you're eating well or not just based on how you feel and I find that true. Sleeping well makes both of those easier.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

It's much easier to cut 500 calories out of your diet with food alone, than to do exercise that would be worth -500 calories.
    At least practically. It is simply eating less vs doing hours of cardio, which is much more time and energy consuming.

Hence diet alone is technically superior to exercise alone.

Now, when it comes to the individual, certain people find it mentally easier to do more exercise instead. That is a matter of psychology. And I think by and large, most people do prefer not to eat less, due to certain biological desires. When you eat less, you are putting your body in some kind of forced "famine" technically, and why would our animalistic self like that? It doesn't. Hence weight loss is often mostly a mental battle.

When it comes down to it, weight loss is not actually difficult. You eat less, move more. And you are going to lose weight. The difficult part is sticking to it, because your (unconscious) mind is going to play games with you and try to make you eat more.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post
    It's much easier to cut 500 calories out of your diet with food alone, than to do exercise that would be worth -500 calories.
    I suspect this depends on body's constitution. With mine athletic/normal one to eat lesser means wolf's hunger. While even a little of exercises boost my methabolism and begins to transform fat to muscles. Just for example, the difference between 15 min of everyday not hard exercises and no of them means ~10 kg for me - while I eat the same.
    So to eat lesser I think is better for people with gracious body constitution.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    It is far easier psychologically to eat less than to do the amount of exercise that would be required to burn off a certain amount of food.
    It´s easier for you, but I wouldn´t generalize this idea.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least practically. It is simply eating less vs doing hours of cardio, which is much more time and energy consuming.

Now, when it comes to the individual, certain people find it mentally easier to do more exercise instead. That is a matter of psychology. And I think by and large, most people do prefer not to eat less, due to certain biological desires. When you eat less, you are putting your body in some kind of forced "famine" technically, and why would our animalistic self like that? It doesn't. Hence weight loss is often mostly a mental battle.

When it comes down to it, weight loss is not actually difficult. You eat less, move more. And you are going to lose weight. The difficult part is sticking to it, because your (unconscious) mind is going to play games with you and try to make you eat more.
    Yeah, but is someone who weighs less necessarily healthier? I can't imagine some skinny nerd who never gets off their couch is healthier than a heavyweight wrestler, regardless of anyone's personal opinion on what's more attractive ("their" for either gender so you can put yourself or someone else in both those places). Obviously, people who are just obese aren't healthy, but no one's arguing for anyone to be obese.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It´s easier for you, but I wouldn´t generalize this idea.
    I can attest to exercise being easier myself. Exercise feels good, and eating feels good if it's good food. The other way probably works if you have more of a tendency to be inactive/lazy instead of wanting to do things that feel good.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    Yeah, but is someone who weighs less necessarily healthier? I can't imagine some skinny nerd who never gets off their couch is healthier than a heavyweight wrestler, regardless of anyone's personal opinion on what's more attractive ("their" for either gender so you can put yourself or someone else in both those places). Obviously, people who are just obese aren't healthy, but no one's arguing for anyone to be obese.
    There's a range of body fat percentages that is considered healthy. If you go too far below or above those percentages, you'll be unhealthier. It is not so much about how much you weigh, but mostly how much body fat you carry. A heavyweight wrestler typically has more muscle mass than the average person. More muscle mass is healthy. So it is not just about being "heavy" or "light", but mostly how much body fat you have. And then sure, your nutrition matters, too. Ideally, you have a healthy body fat % and a healthy (aka nutritious) diet and engage in regular exercise.

P.S: For men, the healthy body fat % range is around 8-25%. For women, it is around 16-30%.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lsi confirmed.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, exercise is way easier and more effective. If I exercise a few times a week I can essentially eat whatever I want.

I prefer to use hcg in addition to physical exercises. Albert Simons introduced his diet in 1954, which became very popular. Simeons believed that hcg injections for weight loss are an effective remedy. I take hcg shots for weight loss, which is noticeable after the first week of use. In addition to hormones, I also work out in the gym and walk a lot. During this month, I have already lost 2 sizes. And I want to lose another 3 sizes for my wedding in June.
    Last edited by jeremiahquellette; 03-28-2022 at 02:58 PM.

TIM
    SEIZOR
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diet is the most important thing. In terms of weight loss, you could reduce way more calories in your diet that would take a lot of time in the day to burn in a workout. You should keep a healthy diet and regular moderate exercise to remain healthy.
    Bound upon me, rush upon me, I will overcome you by enduring your onset: whatever strikes against that which is firm and unconquerable merely injures itself by its own violence. Wherefore, seek some soft and yielding object to pierce with your darts.

-Seneca

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delete *sugar and carbs from diet = much better body feel/weight loss

Don't count calories at all, eat the **right stuff that will help you stay energized and burn fat.

Exercise at least a little, as much as you can push yourself to.

---------------------------------
    *white sugar, high-fructose sugar -- cut out and minimally use natural or alternative sweeteners instead (like: honey, allulose, monk fruit, etc.) Feel the difference. Good.

**whole food eating, cut the processed out. Always read labels and ingredient lists.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t get food cravings as much when I’m regularly exercising.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie View Post
    Hello!
    Guys what you think which is the best for the weight lose diet or exercise?
    If any one have any information than please share with me.. I shall be very thankful to you..
    You can eat a shit ton of calories to the point where you can't work it off. Diet is more key to losing weight, but both are important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, diet and exercise work much better together. If your goal is to lose weight, then you should improve your nutrition, and most importantly, constantly stick to your calorie intake and maintain a balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. If at the same time you want a beautiful figure with muscles, then you need to work out in the gym and improve your endurance. You also need to be more active, like walking more, playing ping pong with it if you like, swimming, cycling, whatever.
    Last edited by Chhow; 02-12-2023 at 07:21 AM.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve always been of the opinion that, while both exercise and healthy eating are important, it’s more important to eat healthily. My logic is that you can exercise all you want and look as physically stunning as possible, but if you’re constantly putting unhealthy food into your body, your health might still suffer in the long run.

I’m not going off of any specific scientific data lol. Just my thoughts based on things I’ve noticed in myself and others

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exercise! It makes you less hungry overall (i have a sweet tooth and like to snack)

TIM
    school shooter one
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No
    how to enlarge your dragon, click here

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    get ready to get cucked
    Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    got this Socionics stuff caught by the balls

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

/deletes all of his cringe-y posts.

"But Oprah, if you did that- you'd have to delete your entire account!"

Shut up, the Idea of Truth...

Exercise is more important I think, because it kick starts your metabolism and makes you burn off foods.

If you don't exercise but only focus on diet, the diet has to be pretty much narcissistically perfect- which realistically probably won't work. But if u exercise right u can have more foods u really want because you'll burn them off better anyway and the right exercises will reverse the effects on the body. Why do you think healthy and fit preppies get large milkshakes and fat asses get small sizes? etc.

Obviously that doesn't mean to eat really bad stuff like twinkies all the time and to never eat heathy things etc. but I don't even think sugar tastes all that good- it's more of an unhealthy addiction. And sugar is like poison for the body and too much easily makes u vomit etc. But again: fit Chads order large sweets and fat slobs order small or kid-sizes.

Sayings like '80% diet, 20% exercise' are misleading.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A diet reduces callories and this lowers the metabolism speed.
    You need everyday physical work/exercises (>= 2 hour) to reduce this effect and to support good look with muscles (which tend to reduce in diets). In other case it's much harder to control the weight and the look. Intellectual load should be useful too, in case you have a lack of it.

The idea of a diet is not to get a sick and exhausted look. With lesser energy the body will try to economy on anything out of usage. Especially when you are reducing the weight. You'll need to oppose to that.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Bad foods make me feel bad
    Good foods make me feel at my best
    Exercise keeps me strong
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking Raptor2016's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We gallop from omega to the barnyard mega structure of persisting in the life fluids of a revitalized and recharged alchemy of the salads and hamburgers.
    France and the Spurs 2006-2013 led to Germany winning in 2014 for Bunny and Lugia as Raptor, proven when Leonard won in 2019, and then Zidane won in 2022 to crown Arceus, so ultimately, 2006 led to 2014 and 2022, Zidane's greatest triumph, heavy wisdom and feelings of luster and omnipotence bubbling and zipping incredible trips to universal languages and dinosaurs gambling questions and omega ripples crystallizing Zen
    BunnyRaptor was proven to be Lugia at Kobe's 60-point game, synthesizing wonderland toys and cables to book club trading cards holographic shards of eve and winter
    Everything was meant to glorify Euro 2000, the Prophecy that Rare Wartortle Wisdom turns a foolish Meganium into a wise Lugia, and 2016 was 1998
    When Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder beat Bayern Munich in Zidane's arena in 2010, this saved the Pokemon World
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh I probably exercise less than I did when I first started out. So now realistically I probably need to be more healthy food wise, as I feel a little bigger than I want to be, also it might make me want to exercise more if I’m being kinder to my body with regard to nourishment. It’s funny how unique ‘self care’ is from person to person and it’s something you have to learn, and I’m not sure the therapists tell you that

Willing Slave SlaveChildOfSlaanesh's Avatar
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w7 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to lose weight, calorie deficit. Diet doesn't matter so much, can eat McDonald's every day if you want, as long as you're in a deficit. Exercise if you want to get more toned or build juicy muscles.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diet is much more important. Some things can kill you if you eat them and people can sometimes live long and productive lives with full-body paralysis. Even for weight loss alone, is everyone you see in a wheelchair or with a walker fat? No? Then literally not being able to exercise does not cause someone to be obese, only food makes someone fat.

TIM
    EIE-Ni-H 359
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can’t outrun calories.

TIM
    school shooter one
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EIE H View Post
    You can’t outrun calories.
    Nor can you outrun me, at full speed
    how to enlarge your dragon, click here

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    get ready to get cucked
    Quote Originally Posted by roger557 View Post
    got this Socionics stuff caught by the balls

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both, silly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to lose weight you need to do both. Diet is more important though, because you can work your ass off in the gym and burn a total of 500 cals. Ok, but you go and eat something and it could easily negate that. So you will need to pay attention to your calorie intake and reduce the amount you are eating. I love eating and diets make me depressed. I love to workout, but I don't have the time to workout for the amount of hours that outweigh the calories I wish I could eat.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, to go back on what I said above…it was actually changing my diet (just a little) what helped me initially lose a bit of weight. But it wasn’t until I started exercising that I truly felt like I had control over my ability to lose weight. Now I am trying to cook more healthily and still exercise as much as I can. I think I was starting to feel dependent on the exercise (which can have the effect of making me stop). Also, I had some long covid and had to be careful. But yeah I don’t want to feel dependent on exercise (i don’t want to feel pressured to do it), and cooking good food (as and when) does send positive messages to your brain that you are healthy, and feeling positive makes you want to get up and move etc, try more healthy stuff even just more fruit. I think I find that you do need to be running fairly regularly for your appetite to be periodically suppressed (I love that feeling or maybe it’s the feeling of it coming back I like). But I’m sure that doing both, eating healthy and exercising creates some sort of symbiotic harmonious feelings in the mind and body and makes both easier to maintain.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 02-17-2023 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have kind of begun to really dislike cardio...possibly hate it...

But I will stick with weights. I don't mind them, can even enjoy it a bit.

As for weight loss, caloric deficit.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diet is way more important in terms of weight loss

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

For me, I've been finding that it's best to focus on a high fibre diet with a deficit of between 500-1000 kcal a day, involving beans and lentils for the fibre, mackerel for the Omega 3 and protein, eggs for the protein and choline, and milk for the tea, as well as a multivitamin. Also, dieting is easier if you diet for a month and then stop for a month (or whatever), and then repeat when you're ready. Maybe allow yourself one or two cheat days a week where you eat your normal diet or whatever you're craving.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Diet is way more important in terms of weight loss
    At best it's equal.

Low callorie diet without physical load will slow metabolism and weight will become stable, while you may be feeling much tired during this. Brain will work worse too: memory, attention, neurotic level symptoms.
    Without physical load you'll need stronger reduce the meal what adds risks to reduce besides callories other important substances what may lead to health problems.

The ideal variant - to eat as common, but to get higher (in reasonable borders) physical load. This approach needs more of additional time, so is not popular when people tend to forget about physical labor.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol
    At best it's equal.

Low callorie diet without physical load will slow metabolism and weight will become stable, while you may be feeling much tired during this. Brain will work worse too: memory, attention, neurotic level symptoms.
    Without physical load you'll need stronger reduce the meal what adds risks to reduce besides callories other important substances what may lead to health problems.

The ideal variant - to eat as common, but to get higher (in reasonable borders) physical load. This approach needs more of additional time, so is not popular when people tend to forget about physical labor.
    Sorry, I meant to "like" this post and ended up "warning" it. I feel that if you exercise regularly this makes you want to eat healthy food.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I feel that if you exercise regularly this makes you want to eat healthy food.
    Healthy would be common food minus: sweets, much of fryed, much made of dough. Just removed redundant or "trash" food. It's supposed you get normal quantity of vitamines ('C' especially): vegetables, fruits, suflower oil (2 table spoons / day incl. in salads) ; get proteins (eggs, meat, curd) ; not bad is kefir (2 x 200 g per day). >= 1500 callories/day

Physical load can be any. In rural territory is additional work for a choice. In cities - excercises or alike as common walking. Everyday >2 hours/day.
    Besides mentioned higher usage of fat and supporting normal speed of metabolism. It supports blood circulation and immunity, what is important when weight is loosing. As weight reduction, the quicker it goes (people want it >500 g / week) - the higher load the body gets as it's not natural to feel hunger for long (>3 days), additional stress. With higher stress for body to work helps higher exchange of substances (more resources come to cells and organs, not useful and toxic are quicker removed). Among negative factors in weight loss is quickly processed body fat, the resulted substances of which are needed to be removed from the body, as those in higher than common quantity may do a harm.

A diet without physical would make: 1) to feel worse and lesser productive, 2) weight loss slower with reduced metabolism, 3) additional risks for health.
    Additional physical load without a diet would add lesser of problems.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diet. I can easily out-eat 6 hours of mid-high intensity cardio
    Last edited by Averroes; 04-28-2023 at 05:11 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Running around outside exercising team someone stops me to ask
    You guys wanna do some exercises with us
    Me: I do some right here
    Them: oh you mean your daughter
    Me: yes 40lbs of resistance exercise right here daily
    Them:
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exercices in gym

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about diet. You need a low-caloric diet that still gives you a steady blood sugar. Paleo diet should be easy to follow after a few weeks of readjusting the metabolism. If you want you can add exercise but you don't need to.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast