Everyone loves
    the Dream but I kill it.
    Atlas Mountain Cedars gush
    over me: —Up Boogaloo!
    I leap free this spring.
    On fire. How my hair curls.
    I'll destroy the World.

Mark Z. Danielewski, Only Revolutions
    "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools." ―Thucydides

TIM
    Enlightened
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“There’s a Korean word my grandma taught me. It’s called jung. It’s the connection between two people that can’t be severed, even when love turns to hate. You still have those old feelings for them; you can’t ever completely shake them loose of you; you will always have tenderness in your heart for them.”
    ― Jenny Han, P.S. I Still Love You

TIM
    Enlightened
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"According to the Mazarinades, the cardinal's involvement in government ensured that everything in France ended up (in the words of one of them) ‘like either a brothel or a cemetery’."

TIM
    Enlightened
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Musil collapsed in the middle of his gymnastic exercises and is rumoured to have died with an expression of ironic amusement on his face."

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    686 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

From Noir, by Christopher Moore:

I took a deep breath and held it while I dug into Sal’s pocket for his keys, found them, then stepped politely over him and out the back door, scooting his leg away a little as I went, so it would be easier to get back in. Once outside in the alley, I locked the door, and sighed as if I’d stepped safely off a minefield. But when I turned around there were two tall, thin guys in black suits, hats, and sunglasses, standing behind me – and I mean right there. It’s like they’d been waiting for me. They were trying to act unflappable, but they were flapped more than somewhat by my second manly scream of the day.

There are times in a guy’s life when he finds himself floating facedown in a sea of troubles, and as hope bubbles away, he thinks, How the hell did I get here?

I mean, I didn’t know then what the two mugs in black suits knew, which was that across the vastness of space, we were being studied by intellects far superior to man’s, by beings that regarded us with envious eyes and, slowly and surely, were drawing their plans to come to our world and motorboat the bazooms of our dames.

Yeah, a dame, that’s how it starts…

TIM
    Enlightened
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

For an unrelated reason, I was fortunate to be in London to witness a set of extraordinary festivities commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of Elizabeth II’s accession to the throne of England. Although the queen had been traveling the globe for months to Commonwealth nations hosting Golden Jubilee events in her name, the celebrations peaked on June 4, 2002, with a program on the Mall in London that drew over a million well-wishers from around Britain and the world. The marked adulation surprised many in the national press who’d predicted the Jubilee would be a fizzle, demonstrating the modern-day irrelevance of the British monarchy in general and of Her Royal Highness in particular.

The opposite proved to be the case. In the several weeks’ run-up to June 4, throngs within the United Kingdom flocked to dedications, parades, concerts, and special proceedings honoring the queen, which she honored in turn with her presence. Especially coveted were invitations to small parties where it was sometimes possible to be addressed personally by the queen in a receiving line.

Of course, the opportunity to meet Elizabeth II under any circumstances would be considered exceptional; but the chance to meet her amid the pomp and pageantry of the Golden Jubilee added even more significance to such occasions, which were widely reported by the media. One report stood out from all the others for me. A young woman moving through a reception line at one of the small fêtes experienced the horror of hearing the cell phone in her purse begin to ring just as she met the queen. Flustered and frozen with embarrassment as her phone pealed insistently, she stared helplessly into the royal eyes that had become fixed on her bag. Finally, Elizabeth leaned forward and advised, “You should answer that, dear. It might be someone important.”

Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"Ah, the joys of the internet… shuffling through dozens of self-promoting wannabe gurus, listicle-pushing bullshitters, affiliate link scammers, braindead parroting old farts, and smartass know-it-all teenagers. Somewhere under the deep pile of misinformation, distractions, and pretentious horseshit, you might actually find some useful advice from people who know what they hell they’re talking about."

http://preparedzombie.com/2018/09/13...l-bullshitter/
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

TIM
    Enlightened
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Spanish text of Don Quixote states, in Chapter 6 of Part I, that because of certain characteristics of Tirant – characters with unlikely or funny names such as Kirieleison de Montalbán, the presence of a merry widow, the fact that in the book knights eat, sleep, and die in their beds having made a will, and the title can be understood as "Tirant the Blank", lacking a major victory to put on his shield – the book is quite different from the typical chivalric romance. These aspects make the book exceptional, and made Cervantes state that "por su estilo", which can be translated "because of its style" but more likely means "in its own way", the book is "a treasure of enjoyment and a gold mine of recreation" ("un tesoro de contento y una mina de pasatiempos"), the "best book in the world." It is an (unintentionally) funny book, and Cervantes liked funny books, believed the world needed more of them, and in Don Quixote wrote his own.[2] Cervantes saw this 100-year-old book as the crown jewel of his library.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"If the statistics are right, the Jews constitute but one percent of the human race. It suggests a nebulous dim puff of star dust lost in the blaze of the Milky Way. Properly the Jew ought hardly to be heard of, but he is heard of, has always been heard of. He is as prominent on the planet as any other people, and his commercial importance is extravagantly out of proportion to the smallness of his bulk. His contributions to the world's list of great names in literature, science, art, music, finance, medicine, and abstruse learning are also away out of proportion to the weakness of his numbers. He has made a marvellous fight in the world, in all the ages; and has done it with his hands tied behind him. He could be vain of himself, and be excused for it. The Egyptian, the Babylonian, and the Persian rose, filled the planet with sound and splendor, then faded to dream-stuff and passed away; the Greek and the Roman followed, and made a vast noise, and they are gone; other peoples have sprung up and held their torch high for a time, but it burned out, and they sit in twilight now, or have vanished. The Jew saw them all, beat them all, and is now what he always was, exhibiting no decadence, no infirmities of age, no weakening of his parts, no slowing of his energies, no dulling of his alert and aggressive mind. All things are mortal but the Jew; all other forces pass, but he remains. What is the secret of his immortality?"

-Mark Twain

"The Jew is eternal. He is the embodiment of eternity.” -Tolstoy
    "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"Hi , I am receiving offers from you but have not yet received my order , please advise if you will ever be honorable or should I just move on with my life less the money you have defrauded me off"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...aller/comments

Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

“I am cancer by horoscope, but in life I am a lion, - I’m not afraid of anyone."

"[her mother] wanted to see her daughter as an actress <...> A graduate of the Vaganovsky School Nina Baum shone [as a dancer] on the stage of the famous Leningrad Theater of Musical Comedy, then worked there as a choreographer. But the daughter had her own plans for life: Erna chose not pointe shoes, but a surveyor's hammer - a mining engineer."

“At the weekend, my friend and I went to the Hermitage [museum] and walked around it — totally, only one room remained,” recalls Erna Baum. - We went in, and there were students, obviously foreigners, from somewhere in the East. One greeted me. We smiled at each other, talked. It turned out that both future geologists: he is studying in Kiev at the preparatory course for the geological department of the Leningrad University, and I am a student of the Leningrad Mining Institute named after Plekhanov. Exchanged by phone numbers. On the May holidays, I went to Abdullah in Kiev. Mom, having known about my love, said: "Apparently, you found yourself in him."

"Abdullah and I lived in perfect harmony, I know that with another man I would never was able for this"

"The judge demanded a neighbor to swear on the Koran. He lied, with putting his hand on the holy book. According to Erna Petrovna, literally an hour later, on the threshold of the apartment stolen by him, a man died from a heart attack."

"Probably, I began to understand her choice, which seemed to me inexplicable before. It’s good to live where you are loved. Even if there, as in today's Kabul, are shoots."

link

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can we maintain our awareness in states of extreme physical pain?

When you’re in more pain than you can handle, you shift into an alternate reality. Usually when you think that pain is unbearable, it’s a lie. The pain is bearable: you’re bearing it. What’s so painful is that you’re projecting a future. You’re believing thoughts like “This will go on forever,” “This will only get worse,” or “I’m going to die.” The story of the future is the only way you can be afraid. As you’re projecting what will happen, you miss what’s actually happening.
    We can track this more closely. When pain is truly beyond what you can bear, the mind shifts into another reality, because it has no control. It can’t imagine a future that it hasn’t experienced from its past. And because you’ve never been there before, you don’t know how to project what’s coming next. The mind has no reference for it, so it shifts out of its body-identification. That’s why some people say that while they were being raped or tortured they left their bodies; they were up on the ceiling, looking down. The mind shifts identities, because it can’t project what’s going to happen to the body next. It shifts out of what it has no reference for.
    Last edited by kalinoche; 06-29-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    honest labor needs no master

Nothing good is a miracle, nothing lovely is a dream.

Επί πάντων μέμνησο τα έσχατά σου, και ου μη αμαρτήσης

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"According to Pesch, “labor and time do not and cannot measure the value of products,” but the failure of Marx’s materialist calculus should not blind us to the fact that “workers are not always paid according to what they contribute to the productive process and that there are not a few cases of unacceptable exploitation and sub-standard wages.” "
    ipsa scientia potestas est-adaequatio intellectus et rei

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

''I usually ask each person to write a letter to his parent(s) telling them the things he needed but didn’t get.
    Wayne Kritsberg has them write the letter with the nondominant hand. I sometimes follow his lead. Writing with the nondominant hand helps create the feeling of being a child. Great emotion is discharged as the person reads his letter to the group. After the letter is read, I ask the group to give the person affirmations that correspond to the unmet needs he described in his letter to his parents.
    Toward the close of the workshop I have each participant encounter her Lost Child. I cannot describe the power of this exercise. I have put it on several of my cassette tapes. There’s no way to convey its power through the written word. I’ll outline the meditation. You can put it on a tape recorder and listen to it. I recommend using Daniel Kobialka’s “Going Home” as background music.''

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Sylvanus P. Thompson -- Calculus Made Easy

p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

''New York, on the other hand, is a very masculine city. It is full of focused energy. Most people there are on a mission of some kind. They are intensely directed. Some of the masculine qualities are one-pointedness, goal-orientation and purposeful focus. The masculine eliminates obstructions to pursue and reach a goal. On the streets of New York, for instance, you walk with a purpose. You stay focused and don’t act too friendly with strangers. This narrow, directional quality is a masculine quality, whether it is in a man or a woman or a city.
    In New York, everything moves upward. Skyscrapers go up, elevators go up, and people go up the success ladder as well as up into their heads. The masculine quality points up and ahead. Men, or anyone in their masculine energy, tend to be in their heads more than their bodies.
    In Hawaii, though, men and women can relax into their feminine and their bodies. They relax in the healing ocean. They play on the warm, soft sand. They smile at strangers and greet one another with a friendly, “Aloha.”''

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

''Watch deeply, then you will become the host and thoughts will be the guests. And as guests they
    are beautiful, but if you forget completely that you are the host and they become the hosts, then you
    are in a mess. This is what hell is. You are the master of the house, the house belongs to you,
    and guests have become the masters. Receive them, take care of them, but don’t get identified with
    them; otherwise, they will become the masters.''

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Valéry
    Elam, Ninevah, Babylon were but beautiful vague names, and the total ruin of those worlds had as little significance for us as their very existence. But France, England, Russia...these too would be beautiful names... And we see now that the abyss of history is deep enough to hold us all.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I studied Jason, I knew that to reach him I wouldn’t use the language of feelings; I would use a language more comfortable and familiar to someone in the military. I would give orders. I sensed that the only hope for unlocking him was to get the blood moving through his body.
    “We’re going for a walk,” I said. I didn’t ask. I gave the command. “Captain, we will take Tess to the park—now.”
    Jason looked panicked for a moment. Here was a woman, a stranger, talking in a thick Hungarian accent, telling him what to do. I could see him looking around, wondering, “How can I get out of here?” But he was a good soldier. He stood up.
    “Yes, ma’am,” he said. “Yes, ma’am.”

TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I dunno if anyone else would care about this, but it heavily affected me unexpectedly.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112